Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Who should be held responsible when the farmers don't plant, distributors do not buy, and no one knows how to plan?

"China tariffs on soy, sorghum spread fear in U.S. farm country."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1HB2R6

Farmers have already bought seed, prepared the fields.

Should they switch to what? Could whatever they switch to be a tariff target next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Who is saying this a new idea of Trump's? People have been discussing trade policy with China for as long as we've been trading with China. And of course past presidents have brought up the very same issues Trump is talking about.

The difference is that others sought reasonable, thoughtful solutions, while Trump is actively sabotaging the economy, thanks to his thoughtlessness and complete ignorance of, well, pretty much everything.

If we asked Trump even basic facts about US and Chinese imports and exports, does anyone here really think he could answer them? How do you expect Trump to make any reasonable decisions when he doesn't know anything?
Ask Brusan.....not me................

Well.......he is the first to actually threaten action against china...........Asians pretty much ignore rhetoric....

Old 04-08-2018, 12:16 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Was told by a person who used to fly to China to negotiate contracts that you always stay vague about your flight plan home as nothing of importance ever gets brought up until right before that deadline.

They will entertain you. Take you sightseeing. Drink you under the table. Postpone all talk of business until right before your deadline. Then knowing you don't want to return empty handed, they will press their advantage.

He learned to leave his ticket home open ended, respond to questions about when he was leaving in vague, uncertain terms. "When it is time."

He learned to call home and discuss alternatives to the contract in vague, uncertain terms. Never expressing any impatience. Just checking in.

For example, if he was negotiating a contract to make a certain part, he would call home after a few days and ask if there was any word from a firm that would be an obvious competitor for this same contract. He wouldn't discuss terms or even mention anything about the contract or the part, just if they had heard back from the firm.

At some point when he was weary of the drinking and sightseeing, his assistant would mention that she was booking a flight for him in a few days to meet with this other firm.

He would not mention it to his potential business partners in China, but they always seemed to know when time was winding down.

Sometimes he left without a contract. Sometimes with one.

I'd love to talk with him about this trade negotiation. I'm sure he'd not be surprised that Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Trump at Mar-a-Lago and then invited him for a grand visit to China both within Trump's first year year in office.

Xi Jinping was clearly taking Trump's measure. Wonder what he learned.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Shoulda listened to these guys:

Economist Thomas Sowell: Trump’s tariffs could be a ‘catastrophic mistake' | Fox Business

WATCH: Economist Milton Friedman Talks Steel Tariffs In 1978 | The Daily Wire

Old 04-09-2018, 06:58 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
China....5000 years old with a long and sophisticated history and memory. An empire for centuries and dealt with countless enemies....Current superpower in-waiting....

Trump...71 years old baby with bad hair. Absolutely no culture, no class and no breeding to speak of. A womanizer and abuser who is loaded with arrogance, hubris and easily blinded by flattery....

I wonder who will win this fight?!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:30 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Perhaps it won't actually reach the point of the tariffs actually being imposed. The President of China has pledged to lower their tariffs on imported vehicles:

Xi Jinping speech: China pledges to cut tariffs on car imports this year

Now, from what I read, said President used the term 'imported vehicles', which would include the United States, but would also involve Japan and South Korea. When I was in China some 10 years ago, the average car was definitely smaller than usually found in this country.

President Trump noted something about how the USA only imposes a tariff of 2.5 percent imported cars from China, while China imposes a 25 percent tariff.

Does anyone happen to know the name or brand of Chinese vehicles currently sold in the US of A? I could not think of any.

However, I did find this article about a vehicle that China (through GAC Motor) is planning to ship in 2019, called, oddly, "Trumpchi":

Chinese-Made Trumpchi Cars Coming to U.S. in 2019 - The Drive

Old 04-10-2018, 06:30 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Trump wins yet again!!!

China's president offers US possible trade concessions

Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Does anyone happen to know the name or brand of Chinese vehicles currently sold in the US of A? I could not think of any.
Which Cars Are Made in China and Sold in the U.S.?

See descriptions below pictures in slide show for familiar brand names.

Quote:
Right now, Chinese-built cars in America are the exception to the rule.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Which Cars Are Made in China and Sold in the U.S.?

See descriptions below pictures in slide show for familiar brand names.
That link was a little disturbing. For instance, it speaks of the Ford Focus thusly:

"Ford has saved money in the past by sending Focus production to Mexico, but the next generation, due in 2019, will be built in China."

I see little benefit to our shipping in Fords made in China, since our goal is to support our own car manufacturing plants and workers.

Anyway, I am hopeful that President Trump and China will negotiation and so discard the tariff idea.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That link was a little disturbing. For instance, it speaks of the Ford Focus thusly:

"Ford has saved money in the past by sending Focus production to Mexico, but the next generation, due in 2019, will be built in China."

I see little benefit to our shipping in Fords made in China, since our goal is to support our own car manufacturing plants and workers.
At least cars made in Mexico are likely to contain parts manufactured in the U.S. and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies