Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times

Advertisements

Bit of humor to be found in those posting BS and peddling nonsense, then accusing other of being fools.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The followers will make any excuse no matter how much it strains credulity. You can be sure that if it were Trump on that bulldozer, they'd be blaming the squirrel.

I honestly don't even see how it's much of an excuse though. At this stage, isn't Trump responsible for the tepid employment numbers? He sure likes taking credit when things are good.

If it's because of Powell and the prospect of interest rates following a marginally steeper trajectory than some people thought, isn't that also Trump's fault? He is, after all, the one who put Powell in that position.
Presidents rarely have a effect on the market. And the Powell argument...well I took that down in my last post. But to answer if Trump would be responsible...not really. Powells decisions and comments are pretty reasonable. They are subject to change of course, and may.

And before I blame Trump for employment numbers, I'd have to be able to point to some action he took that caused it.

Today was easy though, and you're right. They're trying to blame the squirrel.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Presidents rarely have a effect on the market. And the Powell argument...well I took that down in my last post. But to answer if Trump would be responsible...not really. Powells decisions and comments are pretty reasonable. They are subject to change of course, and may.

And before I blame Trump for employment numbers, I'd have to be able to point to some action he took that caused it.

Today was easy though, and you're right. They're trying to blame the squirrel.
I'm not saying Powell is being unreasonable or anything. I'm saying that even if the "it's Powell's fault" argument weren't utter nonsense, it still wouldn't be a good way to absolve Trump, since he's the one who appointed Powell to the job.

We, unfortunately, live in a world where for roughly 40% of the country, the only immutable truth is that Trump is always right. That's how we wind up with wildly inconsistent nonsense coming from his supporters. They don't believe anything except that one thing, and they will adopt any position necessary to keep that one thing true in their minds, no matter how absurd and no matter how much it contradicts with their positions from a day or a week or a month ago.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,282,979 times
Remember when the market had a sell off because the peasants wages were rising to fast?

Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Remember when the market had a sell off because the peasants wages were rising to fast?
Yeah. That was mildly depressing. Too many wealthy people who believed they were better off getting the majority of a pie, without understanding that by sharing it more we'd see it become a even larger pie.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
S&P down 1.79%, DOW 30 down 1.25%, NASDAQ down 2.34%, RUSSELL 2000 down 1.52%.

All due to the fact that Trump simply can not control himself and is hellbent on driving what was once an economy humming along beautifully right into the toilet. Thanks Trump.
The market once consisted of working men and women putting money into name brand companies that made actual products or provided actual services to Americans. Financial advisers as they existed would advise widows to put money into GE and AT&T because they always paid a dividend. If you were adventurous, you would invest in Disney or a supermarket chain.

Today the market is not grannies trading a 3-letter stock on NYSE before breakfast and dumping it before the second coffee cup to realize a gain and putting the money into an ETF to be sold by the time grandkid stops by to get a slice of home-baked apple pie. It's a bunch of computers that frontrun companies that outsource jobs and labor to China, own a few brand names that they product-place in the media. The market now is naked shorts on companies that have never seen revenue. Innovative companies are now data sponges that serve you a thousand pic of the Kardeshians by Thursday.

If Trump can run "what was once an economy humming along beautifully [for the elite at the expense of working people] right into the toilet", I will indeed thank him.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:08 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,142,311 times
If the trade tariffs are implemented:

Last month, analysts at the Australian bank Macquarie argued that in the scenario of a "full trade war" the US would enter a recession in 2019, with unemployment more than doubling from today's levels.

We need a law that requires Congressional approval of tariffs. It's too much power in the hands of the President, especially when you have an unhinged and volatile POTUS like Trump.

Obama, being thoughtful and cautious, never did anything to threaten jobs... he only grew them.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
If Trump can run "what was once an economy humming along beautifully [for the elite at the expense of working people] right into the toilet", I will indeed thank him.
aka:

I have a mouse in my house, if Trump will simply light my entire house on fire with a flamethrower, I will thank him.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 PM

20,703 posts, read 8,472,156 times
People have to learn the difference between traders and investors. Investors look at the market long term and they aren't worried. Things may change for the better or worse, no one knows. If you're emotional stay out of the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.