Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM

51,620 posts, read 25,691,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The markets are sending a message: "Trade wars are bad for bidness".
Indeed.

And things were humming along so well too.

Longest stretch of economic and job growth in recent history.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He stupidly started a trade war.

Trump has been in office for 15 months now. He signed a massive tax cut and an even more massive omnibus bill, and the estimates are that the combination of those two actions will grow the deficit by over $1 trillion as soon as next year.

We're past the point where Obama has any more influence here. This economy is all Trump's and the GOP's.
Indeed it is.

Let the bragging begin.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 AM

45,401 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I will gladly take the hit in my portfolio....the GOP has put up with trump because of the market upswing which was mostly due to his dropping all sort of regulations that will come back and bite the US in the arse, financially, environmentally, etc. Not to mention the corporate tax giveaway.

Let this inflated market fall because of his tariffs, etc. and I think many in the GOP will flee from trump.

It's all about the money in politics.
This, at least, is an honest assessment. We will see if the prediction is correct or not.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,603,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
S&P down 1.79%, DOW 30 down 1.25%, NASDAQ down 2.34%, RUSSELL 2000 down 1.52%.

All due to the fact that Trump simply can not control himself and is hellbent on driving what was once an economy humming along beautifully right into the toilet. Thanks Trump.
So in your view the stock market is the economy. Now all you have left to produce is the proof and its all uphill.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The market is tanking because of the caravans of illegals headed this way and the drag they will be on the economy when they get here.
What?

This can't be true.

Trump said the number of illegal immigrants crossing the border is way down, thanks to his tireless efforts.

Must be more of that "fake news" from some lying SOB.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,603,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm sorry for repeating this, but with 45+ years of investing and dealing with many tens of millions in business, etc. I feel that the basics are important.

Markets HATE chaos and uncertainty. So do consumers and those thinking of starting up new businesses. Just one example would be the alt energy sector. There are now 100's of thousands of NEW and decently paying job just in Alt Energy
"The solar and wind industries are creating jobs at a rate 12 times faster than the rest of the U.S. economy, according to a new report."

But if I was thinking of starting a new business, I would look at the "Chaos Climate" and think twice. Even I, as a lifelong investor and risk-taken, would worry about the shakiness that is at the top.

Consistency is the best friend of just about everything in our lives - family, income, markets, government, etc.

Now we have a loose cannon who is actually out to destroy individual businesses which have brought untold wealth to our country and world (Amazon, etc.). Of course, he won't succeed but just the fact that he is sticking his nose into such things is VERY troubling.

No doubt the market has been headed up for many years now. We are coming out of the recession and people are, by and large, working again. But Trump is doing everything he can to take us backwards...and to create a feeling of "who knows what will happen next". This could be war, trade wars or shooting wars. It could be impeachment, a criminal POTUS who is backed up against the wall or many other things.

NONE of these things is good for "the market".

I think the market will still creep up. But without Trump it might head up 2 or 3X as much.

S&P was 2300 or so before Trump was POTUS - and is now 2600. That's nice....14% or so in 2 years, but surely not what I would expect. It was about 1500 in 2000 (a somewhat normal period), meaning in 18 years it has grown about 3.5% per year compounded - quite poorly for any long term investor.

Since the market tends to make 7-11% compounded per year (over longer periods), we are way behind in terms of where it should be.

We can't forget that this poor performance means that anyone with investments - from pension funds to IRA's - has VASTLY less money than they planned for. Same goes for insurance companies and others who invest large sums of money in order to pay future obligations.
What we can't forget is the stock market isn't the economy. The stock market is going down but the numbers on the economy are not.

Different sectors of the economy like tech. are taking hits and it has nothing to do with Trump.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 AM

1,330 posts, read 696,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So in your view the stock market is the economy. Now all you have left to produce is the proof and its all uphill.
Perhaps a simple Investing 101 class is needed for you.

Shareholders are the ultimate owners of a publicly traded company. Their want is for the company to maximize revenue. Policies that Trump tweets about or whatnot that hurts potential revenue means that shareholders get less back (in forms of dividends or in stock value). Thus the stock price goes down. In order to continue to meet target goals, the company needs to either increase profits (by raising prices, selling more etc) or reduce costs - more automation, cheaper manufacturing costs, etc.

At some point, you can't raise prices higher (or you price yourself out) and you can't cut any more manufacturing costs, so you lay off people. Layoffs = unemployment = bad for the economy.

And don't fool yourself that different segments of the economy aren't linked. If any major industry goes belly up, the rest of the market is soon to follow. See the tech bubble in the 90's or the RE bubble in the late 2000's.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,851,804 times
Trump is a damn fool. I will vote Democrat for the first time since 1976 this year.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,887,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What we can't forget is the stock market isn't the economy. The stock market is going down but the numbers on the economy are not.

Different sectors of the economy like tech. are taking hits and it has nothing to do with Trump.
Wait, there's more...perhaps this is not part of the economy either.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...saster-america
Quote:
(I)t gets downright miserable if you add in the massive $500 to $750 billion quarterly growth of unfunded liabilities alongside the growth in federal debt. Together, the UL's and federal debt are rising $3 to $4 trillion annually while GDP is rising around a half trillion. The tax cuts and fast rising costs of social programs will continue to see deficits rise far faster than economic activity or resultant tax revenue.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 AM

45,401 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It became his when he signed a massive tax bill that will reduce revenue while giving away billions to the wealthy one percent; when he signed a massive omnibus bill that added a trillion dollars to the deficit; when he stupidly started a trade war.

All of those things together are what is turning the economy south. And all of them belong wholly and completely to Trump and the GOP.
Great... so if the market begins increasing again, you will reluctantly give Trump credit.

That's all I want to know with the question I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.