Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It certainly wasn't a "fishing expedition"
Mueller had good reason to be looking for evidence of Russian connection to the Trump campaign
The fact is that Mueller is finally getting to the Trump people involved in changing the Ukraine plank at the RNC convention....the one that Manafort claimed to know nothing about and have done nothing to influence

The investigation is getting closer to Roger Stone and Assange/WikiLeaks
And Session's involvement to an innocent bystander to someone who knew what Papadoupolus was doing and didn't stop him trying to get closer to Clinton's emails...

The reason Mueller has gone into areas that maybe were not specifically mentioned are that they were pretty obvious and illegal...
If you investigate the mob and money laundering in construction industries and happen to find someone who is also guilty of blackmail---you follow up on that crime...

The people involved in this broad based criminal conspiracy were just so hubristic and conceited that they thought they would never be investigated or prosecuted...
They thought it would be covered up if/when Trump won--just like it goes unpunished in Putin's Russia...
Like what, the "dossier"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 02:09 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I think that some believe that, if Mr. Mueller were fired, that the Federal grand juries (for there are two, at last count) would simply melt away.

That is not how grand juries work. Trump, or, rather, the deputy attorney general, may fire Mr. Mueller and every one of his staff, but the grand juries would continue their function, since they are independent of Mr. Mueller.

It was a Federal judge that empaneled each of the grand juries, and only said Federal judge (or another, if the judge subsequently retires or dies) can discharge said juries. In the meantime, the juries may continue with the investigation, issuing subpoenas and such. If Mueller were fired, the presiding judge would order another prosecutor to take Mueller's place. If the Attorney General asked the presiding judge to dismiss the various charges already returned by the grand juries, the judge may, and probably will, refuse.

I would hope that such has been explained to Mr. Trump.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:11 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bwahaha. Manafort is grasping at straws. Rosenstein absolutely has the authority to do what he is doing. For Republicans to think this is going to work shows just how desperate they are to keep justice from happening.

Folks...go look at what Manafort did. The guy is scum, and you're cheering on the idea that he could get away with it. Once you start doing that you should probably start asking yourself if you are on the right side of this.
Scum or not, why didn't the FBI/DOJ prosecute Manafort ? They investigated him for years. Could it be they didn't think his scumminess constituted criminal behavior, or was he so powerful with Both political parties that they couldn't prosecute ?

My beef is with the Special Counsel law and the FBI/DOJ, not with the prosecution itself.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:31 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
I see dems talking about people cheering for Manafort to get off with no charges. However, I haven't seen anyone say any such thing.

People are saying that Mueller may have exceeded his authority. Nobody should support a special counsel exceeding his authority. In fact it's quite disturbing that the dems are so willing to support such abuse of power.

All this talk about Manafort being a scumbag I just don't understand.

Manafort was only doing what many other lobbyist were doing, including Tony Podesta.

They should have enforced the Foreign Registration Act years ago, not target Manafort for purely political reasons.

They did the same thing to Flynn, they targeted him over a law that have never been enforced in 200 years.

There is no way around this, this is political prosecutions.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:32 PM

37,191 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The letter is ILLEGAL. Got it?

It pretends to convey more jurisdiction than the law allows.

Moreover, Mueller's investigation goes way beyond what the letter says he is allowed to investigate.
Could you give us a few details as to how you arrived at that conclusion? Sections (ii) and (iii) in the letter are pretty open ended. Mueller has the authority to look into any crimes he runs across during the course of the investigation.

Section (iii) explains it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/600.4

Old 04-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You should read it, carefully. Mueller can investigate any matter 'arising directly from his investigation of Trump campaign coordination with the Russian government.'

The FBI had investigated Manafort for years and never filed charges. Mueller took what the FBI already knew and ran with it.

I doubt a Court will do what it should, squash most of what Mueller's done like a bug, with prejudice.
I have, thank you, and I have discussed it at length with a couple of attorney friends. Manafort would have been on Mueller's radar early because of his ties to Russia and the Ukraine going back several years, and the huge sums of money he received from them. During the course of following the money trail, Mueller uncovered a lot of dirt and indicted Manafort, which is exactly what his job description says.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
No. Like his ties to Yanukovych, and being paid $10 million a year to promote Russian interests over those of the United States.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-10-...rainian-report

Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have, thank you, and I have discussed it at length with a couple of attorney friends. Manafort would have been on Mueller's radar early because of his ties to Russia and the Ukraine going back several years, and the huge sums of money he received from them. During the course of following the money trail, Mueller uncovered a lot of dirt and indicted Manafort, which is exactly what his job description says.
Mueller didn't find anything, Manafort was under investigation by the Obama DOJ for years.

Funny how the Obama DOJ wasn't investigating Tony Podesta, who was doing literally the same exact thing.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Not going to explain his charter again. Read it for yourself, or don't. Mueller is not going anywhere, unless he needs to speak with the Grand Juries.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...r-special.html
It seems like (b)(ii) would give him grounds to take the investigation where ever it needs to go but I'm no legal expert.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Scum or not, why didn't the FBI/DOJ prosecute Manafort ? They investigated him for years. Could it be they didn't think his scumminess constituted criminal behavior, or was he so powerful with Both political parties that they couldn't prosecute ?

My beef is with the Special Counsel law and the FBI/DOJ, not with the prosecution itself.
Read the indictments on Manafort. I highly doubt that information was in the hands of the FBI or DOJ until Mueller came along and got it. So it was more a matter of priorities. If you are prosecuting crime you tend to go for the low hanging fruit. Prosecuting Manafort is going to be a large undertaking, and having the evidence to do it successfully takes a lot of work. Work that Muellers team has had the time and resources to do, but that the FBI and DOJ may not have been able to justify.

In other words Manafort finally found a way to make it worth the effort to really get investigated. He got involved in US politics instead of just foreign politics. This allowed enough actual evidence to be found that charging him was viable.

Its how a LOT of rich and powerful folks avoid prosecution, they make it too much effort to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Please. That argument doesn't fly AT ALL. There was a ton of things such that even if the dossier never existed we would still be here. Try to at least look into things before trying to claim such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies