Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:22 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What 3rd world country was the photo taken in ?
India?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 PM

911 posts, read 262,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron
IMO, pit bulls are inherently dangerous.
Yes ... Pitbulls can be very protective of them and thier space......

Alot of care is needed around them... If they feel uneasy,they wont be afraid to show it usually.....

Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Once a breed acquires a certain reputation, it will tend to attract people who WANT a "mean" or scary dog. These folks are not likely to be good owners, and the people who sell to them are not likely to be good breeders. Unfortunately, the pit bull currently has such a reputation, so yeah, they are probably more likely to have bad owners than a pug.

Pits ARE strong, powerful dogs, and they can have a keen prey drive, but there is no reason for them to be more inherently ill-tempered or aggressive towards people than any other breed. I'm not going to say that they are perfect - no breed is perfect - but they are just dogs, not demons. There have been some amazing examples of former fighting dogs that have been rehabilitated, dogs that were essentially tortured, and were still able to form strong, loving bonds with people once they were saved from that horror.

The villain in this story should be the bootlegger, for turning his dog into a weapon.

I'm quoting you because this bears repeating, and you're spot-on.

We have a Lab-Pit mix. He's my fourth dog, and I can easily see the difference in his build (those back legs with muscle on top of muscle!), and in the prey drive, between him and the other dogs - Lab-Ridgeback mix, Great Dane mix/mutt, Greyhound mix/mutt. He has trapped a chipmunk in the drain pipe, then pulled the pipe right off the side of the house, swallowed a baby squirrel whole, gone through an electric cow fence twice to chase the cows, treed a black bear, been quilled by porcupine twice, and will dig in chipmunk and rabbit holes until his claws split.

On the flip side, he has this goofy character. He gets so excited when I come home from work that he 'smiles' and 'talks'. We've trained him not to jump on people, but he'll take one paw and wrap it around my leg, all while wiggling and wagging so hard I've had to move a couple indoor plants away from the door. He is fantastic with the kids, and seems to be more tuned in to their moods than any of the other dogs. He's the one who will sit by their bedside if they're sick or sad.

Basically, he's a living creature, which means he has some traits inherent in the breeds, but has his own character and personality, and is no more a "bad" dog for having Pitbull in him than he is a "good" dog for being part Labrador.

Last edited by swilliamsny; 04-03-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 02:10 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Yes ... Pitbulls can be very protective of them and thier space......

Alot of care is needed around them... If they feel uneasy,they wont be afraid to show it usually.....
So would a pet black mamba.

I was watching a police raid some time back and a fully grown pit bull rushed the special ops personnel. They shot it right between the eyes with a beanbag round. That pit bull did the fastest bootleg turn I've ever seen in my life.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
But, but, BUT.................they are Nanny-Dogs!

Owning a very strong, powerful dog that can be very, very driven when attacking, should be left to expert-level dog-owners, who take the responsibility very seriously.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I picked up a small( for the breed) female pitbull that had been bred that some knuckledragger hominid had dumped off in the country. It was friendly and I felt sorry for it, no animal deserves that kind of treatment. I did note that it was a strong animal, I am used to small toy dogs. I took it to a shelter and said a prayer for it.
Of the dogs we've had, I've been aware of how they behave. A few were protective and snappy with strangers. That varied in the breed so I'm not sure what caused it. Some were sweethearts. The terrier we had liked to dig. So terriers being earth dogs seems to be true. She was a loving dog with people but was obsessed with our guinea pigs. That also was the history of the breed, they hunted vermin. And she was jealous of other pets. I'd never let them alone with her.
Pitbulls were bred to fight. So the instinct is there.
I hate the videos where cops panic and shoot dogs when they aren't being aggressive only barking. Those cops deserve a bean bag right between the eyes. IMO.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Pit bulls are ingrained in gangsta thug and redneck cultures. There's no getting rid of them. Thugs and hillbillies need them to show their neighbors what tough guys they are. It's a street cred thing for lower class people. We can't stop people from owning one but we can charge the owners with murder or manslaughter when the dog kills someone.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Ho Hum, another day, another mauling by mans best friend.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180404/mot...-mauled-by-dog

Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Ho Hum, another day, another mauling by mans best friend.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180404/mot...-mauled-by-dog
So you're telling me one dog managed to kill two adult people at the same time? Considering that the article says "apparently" means that they do not yet know the cause of death. I wouldn't spin the story just yet. It's apparent that they don't really know exactly what happened.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So you're telling me one dog managed to kill two adult people at the same time? Considering that the article says "apparently" means that they do not yet know the cause of death. I wouldn't spin the story just yet. It's apparent that they don't really know exactly what happened.
Perhaps the pit bull was framed by squirrels?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40703611
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies