Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Provided you have a CAD file of the lower, some sort of CAD software to export that file into an .stl file, and a rapid prototype machine.
Or access to one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
An 80% lower. Which still requires some machine work to complete. There are no "ghost guns" for the AK or the 9mm handgun. Unless he can forge his own frame and machine it.

A lower receiver. John Zawahri used a "ghost gun" in California in a shooting rampage a few years ago. They're unregulated because they're unfinished. I'm not sure about the AK or 9mm, but the AR 15 can be bought and assembled.

https://www.local10.com/news/local-1...ble-ghost-guns-

Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Stephen Paddock, being a former government employee, passes your guidelines. Now what?
How do you know?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
A lower receiver. John Zawahri used a "ghost gun" in California in a shooting rampage a few years ago. They're unregulated because they're unfinished. I'm not sure about the AK or 9mm, but the AR 15 can be bought and assembled.

https://www.local10.com/news/local-1...ble-ghost-guns-

Why are you just repeating to me what I've already stated ?

Oh, and stop with the "loophole" business. A loophole is someone trying to avoid the law, in the instance of an 80% receiver , they are legal to purchase so there is no law to try and avoid.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf...#axzz5BdR9tPIz

Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Why are you just repeating to me what I've already stated ?

Oh, and stop with the "loophole" business. A loophole is someone trying to avoid the law, in the instance of an 80% receiver , they are legal to purchase so there is no law to try and avoid.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf...#axzz5BdR9tPIz

Untwist the panties, there Chuck. It's a loophole, plain and simple, no registration, no serial numbers, no background checks, the very definition of a loophole.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A No idea what ideological bend you are referring to.
B You do not have to be a citizen to purchase guns.

C They'll have to let him walk, because he is guilty of only a misdemeanor, and maybe not even that.

D That's the problem with the "minority report" approach.
A) You are a leftist beyond the shadow of a doubt.
B) While there are exceptions in certain states (typically revolving around hunting or sport), by and large non citizens cannot purchase a firearm from an FFL. Legal residents can, depending on the state, but foreign exchange students cannot. Hence the reason this "kid" bought the various parts online and presumably assembled it himself.
C) Instead of focusing on trying to take away law abiding citizens rights, how about your side push for stricter laws regarding terrorist threats or the like.
Sure this could have just been a punk kid who said a punk type of comment. However it passes beyond the pale when talking/threating mass murder.
Whomever the kid was that reported this guy deserves a lot of credit/adulation.
D) I have no clue what you mean by that, unless you are referring to the sci-fi movie Minority Report.

`

Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Interesting.....

What other Constitutional rights would you like to require a licence to exercise?
Voting.

You don't have to agree with it. It is my "common sense" proposal.

Do you have one?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-03-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A) You are a leftist beyond the shadow of a doubt.
Sure, you too man. No doubt.

Quote:
B) While there are exceptions in certain states (typically revolving around hunting or sport), by and large non citizens cannot purchase a firearm from an FFL. Legal residents can, depending on the state, but foreign exchange students cannot. Hence the reason this "kid" bought the various parts online and presumably assembled it himself.
A non-citizen legal resident is a...... non-citizen. It is possible for students to buy guns as long as they live off campus plus jumping through some hoops.

"An alien legally in the U.S. is not prohibited from purchasing firearms unless the alien is admitted into the U.S. under nonimmigrant visa and does not meet one of the exceptions as provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as possession of a valid hunting license or permit.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(5), (g)(5) and (y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32(a)(5) ]"

Quote:
C) Instead of focusing on trying to take away law abiding citizens rights, how about your side push for stricter laws regarding terrorist threats or the like.
My side? I am a gun owner, and pro 2A. Stricter laws against terrorists? Sure man....

I am offering solutions to keep guns away from the nut-cases, I am nor offering a silver bullet to cure all ills.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-03-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You'd be just as free if we followed my proposed guidelines for firearm license:

- Must be 21 or older
- Pass a criminal background check
- Pass a basic firearms handling & safety course
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a mental evaluation
Wow, and it keeps on getting better.
Now I suspect you honestly think these proposals are as gun grabbing Bloomberg & Co call "common sense gun control".
However, since you don't think like most Americans on this issue, has it even dawned on you the un-Constitutional nature of some of them, and the slippary slope that they could lead to?
If not, let see if you are intellectually honest enough to play devils advocate against your own suggestions?

BTW - While you are typing out your effort, also answer this question. If we are going to say young adults you cannot drink booze or buy guns, (presumably because they are not mature enough to act responsibly, and for their own safety), would you be in favor or restricting their right to drive a car, have an abortion, or to vote until they are 21 as well?
If not, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It clearly says, the right of the people. Not the privilege of citizens.

I have no problem with a 6 year old building his own weapon. What I have a problem with is bad intentions of others. The reason I am armed. It is a checks & balances.

I have a problem blaming me, for others being unarmed and not able to protect themselves from evil people.
We are probably on the same page, but I do not understand your distinction about the verbage of the 2A vs. privilege of citizens.
I was merely pointing out how non citizens (i.e. as in the example with this loser as a exchange student) could not legally purchase guns. I would guess you are not saying you think anyone occupying space within our borders should have the right to firearms, right?

As to a 6 year old building a weapon,,,wait what? I misread what you said at first. Even the Federalist Papers stipulate 18 as the age people officially become part of the citizen militia. To think little kids at the age of 6 are mature/responsible enough to handle firearms is pretty out there.
While there might be exceptions for kids raised with guns in rural areas where firearms are needed for hunting, safety against predators, putting down your rabid dog, etc., that is too young an age by far.

On your last point, we are in agreement.

`

Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, and it keeps on getting better.
Now I suspect you honestly think these proposals are as gun grabbing Bloomberg & Co call "common sense gun control".
No, there is no grabbing of guns. The process is practically identical to today's carry license. I got one. No big deal. Once you have it, you can purchase and carry nation-wide.

Quote:
However, since you don't think like most Americans on this issue, has it even dawned on you the un-Constitutional nature of some of them, and the slippary slope that they could lead to? If not, let see if you are intellectually honest enough to play devils advocate against your own suggestions?
If you think the current carry license is unconstitutional, then so be it. I don't think so. Most Americans agree with me on this issue. No one knows if they agree with you, since no one knows what your stance is, other than just oppose everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies