Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US military be deployed to the border?
Yes 135 60.54%
No 88 39.46%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:42 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's my understanding that deployment of US military for domestic purposes is illegal. That's the National Guard's job. Now if the Mexican military was threatening us at the border, that would be a different story.
You're correct. There are a few exceptions the Army can be called up for fighting domestically. but border security is not one of them unless there is a foreign military engagement within our borders.

The last time that happened was in 1916, when Pancho Villa's army invaded New Mexico and ransacked Columbus.

This is just more of Trump's empty talk. Another fit of petulance from a surly child who didn't get his toy wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're correct. There are a few exceptions the Army can be called up for fighting domestically. but border security is not one of them unless there is a foreign military engagement within our borders.

The last time that happened was in 1916, when Pancho Villa's army invaded New Mexico and ransacked Columbus.

This is just more of Trump's empty talk. Another fit of petulance from a surly child who didn't get his toy wall.
10 U.S. Code § 332 - Use of militia and armed forces to enforce Federal authority:
“Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.”

Now, there could certainly be a legal argument if illegal immigration or drug trafficking rises to the level of “impracticable by ordinary judicial proceedings”, but it does appear to be up to the president’s discretion until somebody can make a ruling on it.
Clearly it would be a hugely contentious political matter, but I don’t believe there is any structural barrier to doing so.

Who said anything about fighting? we are not dropping bombs on illegals. They are going to make sure that they don't enter illegally. We send our troops to secure the borders of other countries but we can't use them to secure our borders which is FEDERAL jurisdiction?

We should have done this since the 70's and not pretend fighting this fake war on drugs cr@p that have destroyed millions of Americans, many communities especially the black communities and has cost the taxpayers billions of dollars in medical and public services.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you thought that Mexico was going to write a check for the wall? Is that what Trump claimed? Um no, he didn't. His plan is below we just need funds to get it started. Why are you and yours so concerned about who's going to pay for it when it's well needed? I'd rather pay $25 billion for the wall than the continued over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens coist us, if I had to. Apparently you and yours failed math miserably.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf
I'll give it to you, you tried.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Trump, the Dictator, thinks he can circumvent the law. Next he will be threatening to send the Boy Scouts there.

Once again, empty talk from someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

Obama wrote the book on how to circumvent the law. Remember his "I've got a pen and I've got a phone" comment?

Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’ « CBS DC

Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Divisions of what? Armor? Infantry? We already have the soldiers, already paying the soldiers, already have the best hardware money can buy.
I know lets end our activity is Syria. Not our business to begin with. That frees up about 2000 soldiers.
We can bring a few thousand home from South Korea, Germany, and a few other places. Use our Navy to patrol the Gulf of Mexico and our Pacific coast. Imagine that, our Navy patrolling our own waters for a change. Use our drones of which we have many to patrol our own skies over the border and water. Don't assign our guard to be look outs and sentries. Assign a border patrol agent to each platoon we put on the border. Word will get out that crossing has become next to impossible.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
The last time I checked, the National Guard was part of the military.

Trump would not be first president to send National Guard soldiers to US-Mexico border | Fox News

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/u...n-caravan.html

For all those who are distraught about this, it's nothing new. Presidents have done this before. He's not sending in George Patton from the grave, OK?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I'm not distraught -- just do it if you are going to do it.

Be ready -- put it in place...that caravan of protesters is on their way. Show them -- stop yapping and do something.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm not distraught -- just do it if you are going to do it.

Be ready -- put it in place...that caravan of protesters is on their way. Show them -- stop yapping and do something.
Some people on here seem to think Trump is ripping up the Constitution because of the word "Military". He has every right to have the National Guard on the border. People need to do some homework before they jump to ridiculous conclusions or maybe that's what they want people to believe.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Meh, both GWB and Obama did it. Nothing new. It skirts Posse Comitatus.

The caravan of immigrants Trump is bellowing about happens once a year. It's organized by Pueblo Sin Fronteras, (People without borders) The people in the caravan are fleeing Central America and seek asylum either within Mexico or the United States. About four or five different immigration rights groups are working with the asylum seekers, informing and preparing them on their journey to seek refuge.within the US and Mexico. It isn't a stampede to the border, and few are granted asylum in the US.

Trump is twisting this to fit his agenda. How surprising.

Last edited by carterstamp; 04-04-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's my understanding that deployment of US military for domestic purposes is illegal. That's the National Guard's job. Now if the Mexican military was threatening us at the border, that would be a different story.
News flash. The National Guard is part of the military. He's not going around the law and Constitution. Some of you people need to get a grip.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/u...n-caravan.html

Trump would not be first president to send National Guard soldiers to US-Mexico border | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies