Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

This is what stale lawmakers dream up in their spare time...

NY Lawmaker Proposes New Law Banning After-Work Emailing

Should you have to respond to that work email on Sunday afternoon, when you're on the back nine scrambling for par? Or how about that missive from the boss on Tuesday night, when you're reading your kids a bedtime story?

In the electronic age, work has become 24/7/365. You're never out of touch. You're always reachable by text and email -- and you're phone doesn't even have a busy signal.

Now, a local lawmaker in New York wants to change all that.

Brooklyn City Councilman Rafael Espinal in March introduced a bill to the council that would make it illegal for companies to force employees to respond to emails and texts after working hours.

------------------------

I thought maybe it was an April Fool's joke, but no...

Brooklyn councilman proposes law banning after-work emailing

The proposed law would set up a system wherein workers could make anonymous complaints against their companies for emailing after hours. The city would check out the claim, and if the company were found to be breaking the law would fine the company $500 for the first infraction, $750 for the second and $1,000 for each infraction thereafter. The employee would also be entitled to $250 in compensation from the company in addition to compensation based on the amount of time they spent emailing in accordance with their salary.

Apparently they passed something like this in France, and he thought it was a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
How about he proposes a new law that bans lawmakers from inserting their heads up their arses.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
this is a rather heavy-handed approach to a problem that has nothing to do with the brooklyn city council

Old 04-03-2018, 01:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Apparently all the good ideas have been thought of and just the dumb azz ones are left.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
If someone is a non-exempt Employee I do not see an issue with this or at least have something that they get paid when they work off the clock.

FWIW I am an exempt employee and do respond to e-mails at night and on weekends when not in the office

Old 04-03-2018, 07:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If someone is a non-exempt Employee I do not see an issue with this or at least have something that they get paid when they work off the clock.

FWIW I am an exempt employee and do respond to e-mails at night and on weekends when not in the office
So does my son-in-law............its a PITA when visiting him and my daughter. There should be a law...........your time off should be exactly that.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times
If your emailing off the clock, you are working. If you work off the clock, this can get the employer in trouble. This is just a law that reaffirms.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Frankly, this would be a welcome respite from work.

I loathe how much work has come to dominate our lives. There is no escaping it. My time off should be exactly that-- time off. I want to spend time with my spouse. I want to enjoy this life I supposedly worked to obtain, only to have it constantly denied by this cancerous work culture.

This also amounts to working for free, and it substantially lowers the value of labor. Why the hell should I be required to answer work emails in my off time? Why am I supposed to work for free?

I understand it. I really do. Americans love work and emails precisely because they would rather be anywhere but at home, sitting across the dinner table from a spouse they lost interest in ten years ago, and with whom they no longer have the ability to communicate.

Work is a brand, and instead of giving me money, they want me to work for free in exchange for feeling valued by my employer. **** that. I don't need that nonsense, I do not require validation, and if you want my offtime to turn into work, I am going to bill you for it.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Pay me and I will email off the clock. Simple as that. I like this law...... Work and get paid.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
if you dont like after hour e-mails, negotiate it into your pay, don't take the job or open your own business and run it how you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies