Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,473,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And no doubt pathetically jealous of Bezos's far greater success in business.
Exactly! This is what the attack on Amazon is all about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,618,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It really is the bizarro world when the left is defending the 1%, the mega-corporations that put local businesses out of business, the unfair crony government contracts and the starving of billions in tax revenue from state government coffers that could be used to help the poor and working classes.

I'll add it to the head scratching list of things the left has done a ideological 180' on simply because Trump, along with tax breaks for the working & middle classes, ending unfair trade deals that hurt American workers, the blind trust of any intelligence agency, rabid Neo-McCarthyism & believing a person's sex life is more important than their ability to govern.
This has nothing to do with Amazon's business model
And don't hurt yourself trying to think like a "liberal"...

Walmart started revolutionizing retail 3 decades ago and has done the same thing --driving local, mom-pop retail businesses into closing--now WalMart is threatened by Amazon and has tried to vamp its online platform...not so successfully...
New Hampshire I Think won't allow a WalMart to open because of the smaller stores WalMart would crush

So Amazon has caused a revolution in retail
That is what America is supposed to do...
Be great, be creative/innovative

If you want to castigate Amazon do it for their almost slave like working conditions in their shipping warehouses

Consider how they are blending the Whole Foods Markets into their game plan and cutting plenty of Whole Foods employees as unnecessary to the success of the merger...
To my way of thinking that is hubris and will rebound in a negative operation
They buy a company that was as groundbreaking and successful as Amazon and then you don't VALUE those employees and give them a fair shot going forward...
Receipe for disaster IMO...

But Trump doesn't give a flip for the reality of Amazon
He doesn't know retail...Trump water?? Forget about it...
Trump steaks...no body would eat them...
So Trump doesn't know shinola about mass retail...
But he lives for attention...

Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,271,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm advocating that all Americans should fall back upon their own sense of independence and self-reliance -- and not fall for all the garbage peddled by both sides of the nation's current polarization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What does what you are writing have to do with Amazon, exactly?
It has to do with the media's and the politicians' (mostly, but not exclusively "liberal" Democrats) constant attack upon the skepticism and pursuit of individual freedom that are central to the character of a nation founded by free-thinkers, misfits and outcasts. I don't want to be part of a nation of sheep, whether Trump or the Clinton Crew are supposedly in charge.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:07 PM

Still lacks context

Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 PM

7,818 posts, read 4,534,734 times
Quote:
It really is the bizarro world when the left is defending the 1%, the mega-corporations that put local businesses out of business, the unfair crony government contracts and the starving of billions in tax revenue from state government coffers that could be used to help the poor and working classes.
Odd, I'm defending a company that, as a shareholder, represents part of my albeit not substantial net worth. It also represents holdings in countless retirements funds for millions of Americans. It also represents thousands of small entrepreneurs who offer items for sale on the website. I could also mention the many businesses that use Amazon Web Services in order to do their work and keep their employees productive.

Yeah, bizarro, all the things Spanky said he stands for...

Old 04-03-2018, 03:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,387,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Actually Trump has certainly waged war on the media
And his FCC lackey has allowed Sinclair to gain control of way more stations than is considered "normal" practice so they pass Trump's and the alt-right's propaganda across the country
Trump's use of lies described as "facts" which are supported by his Congressional goons, his Fox friends, and now Sinclair media will poison the water of truth for long after he leaves office whether that is this year via indictment or in 2024....
Not an effective war that he can win. The media continues to report the truth behind his corruption at every turn. He can't win unless he stops his power trip. That won't happen. Patiently awaiting Comey's book in the next few weeks.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:24 PM

23,789 posts, read 14,911,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I like Amazon I’m a prime member for years .

But they are definitely reaching a monopoly level the way they under cut competition including those third party sellers ( mom and pops ) that sell on their platform and pay dearly for the opportunity ... especially as they get into the grocery space and now they want to get into healthcare and other industries .
All anybody can sell me is service. I can buy stuff anywhere.

The lack of training and customer service in my local chains will drive me to grocery shop online.

I will not get used to the checker talking to friends and consuming Skittles while checking my groceries.Three out of 5 trips to the grocery store, they fail to put all my purchases in the cart.

I will be joining Amazon Prime today.

Our broker thinks Amazon will outlast Trump. POTUS Trump has rattled the wrong cage. Too bad many posters here do not understand Trump is clueless regarding how the USPS works.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Not an effective war that he can win. The media continues to report the truth behind his corruption at every turn. He can't win unless he stops his power trip. That won't happen. Patiently awaiting Comey's book in the next few weeks.
Hey, I hope you are right but unfortunately I think Teump spreads too much dissention even when "liberal" media has to play his sound bites as part of the news process
Personally I would love to not hear any mention of Trump for 48 hrs on liberal platforms and maybe his head would explode...

Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,637,660 times
Quote:

I'll add it to the head scratching list of things the left has done a ideological 180' on simply because Trump, along with tax breaks for the working & middle classes, ending unfair trade deals that hurt American workers, the blind trust of any intelligence agency, rabid Neo-McCarthyism & believing a person's sex life is more important than their ability to govern.
I'm not defending Amazon and if evidence shows they're hurting small business, I'd welcome new laws to regulate that.

But Trump attacking a company on Twitter because it's owned by the person who also owns the WaPO which regularly criticizes him is appalling. And you know that's what he's doing. If he were really bent out of shape about Main Street he would have called out WalMart and the other big box stores.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All anybody can sell me is service. I can buy stuff anywhere.

The lack of training and customer service in my local chains will drive me to grocery shop online.

I will not get used to the checker talking to friends and consuming Skittles while checking my groceries.Three out of 5 trips to the grocery store, they fail to put all my purchases in the cart.

I will be joining Amazon Prime today.

Our broker thinks Amazon will outlast Trump. POTUS Trump has rattled the wrong cage. Too bad many posters here do not understand Trump is clueless regarding how the USPS works.
I think most people understand Trump has no clue about anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies