Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unlikely to change the flow of drugs, let alone stop it.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...61546216353793

Idiot like Kyle Griffin with opinion. Then we have the facts.

The deployment lasted for two years and after year one the number of troops fell by half. During the mission, known as Operation Jump Start, National Guard troops assisted in the apprehension of over 170,000 immigrants and the seizure of over 320,000 pounds of marijuana and cocaine.

http://time.com/5227652/donald-trump...troops-border/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Will the NG be armed ?
What will happen if the horde charges at them trying to get into the US?

If force is used against them it will be a political nightmare but if nothing is done they will worm their way into America?

Imagine one kid in the group approaching the row of armed NG and he/she gets shot as if he was threat. He/she would then become a martyr for the Left to promote their cause of open borders. If the kid is allowed to pass then no doubt he/she would be held up by the Left as an example of determination, pride and desire to become an American. He/she would be a beacon for others to come and give Trump the middle finger.

If this was to happen I could see this kid joining David Hogg on stage to denounce America and the Right.

UGH !

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Most people who are in the know about immigration security say we need more boots on the ground in the southwest, not a wall. So this helps in a way though the NG will not have authority to interact with the illegals. The Border Patrol has authorization to hire more people but they can't find them. It's a crappy place to work and a worse place to raise your family.

Illegal crossings may be at a low but it is also anecdotally on an uptick. We are seeing stories on the Phoenix news of safe houses full of Hondurans being busted. It has been quite a while since we have seen that kind of activity. It's mediated by the economy and employment, of course, so I would like to see e-verify implemented and a crackdown on employers. I'm not holding my breath. Really effective measures are not too popular with businesses desperate for workers and are avoided.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Will the NG be armed ?
What will happen if the horde charges at them trying to get into the US?

If force is used against them it will be a political nightmare but if nothing is done they will worm their way into America?

Imagine one kid in the group approaching the row of armed NG and he/she gets shot as if he was threat. He/she would then become a martyr for the Left to promote their cause of open borders. If the kid is allowed to pass then no doubt he/she would be held up by the Left as an example of determination, pride and desire to become an American. He/she would be a beacon for others to come and give Trump the middle finger.

If this was to happen I could see this kid joining David Hogg on stage to denounce America and the Right.

UGH !
Nope:
Mexico says US troops on border won’t be armed | Q13 FOX News

Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump is hilarious. Thing is -- the Mexican Ambassador said the caravan would dissipate before it got to the border -- the day before Trump made his big move.

He's so full of @#$%. Eat it up fans of his.
No, the caravan won't "dissipate." This is just a distraction to take the focus off them. They've already said they are coming north no matter what. There is no need to sneak across the border you know. You "present" yourself to the border guard, processed and asked to appear in front of an administrative judge in, oh may be 2 years? You're in.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm glad he did it. Hopefully it sticks but I'd expect the liberals to lose their minds over this one. What's really funny is all I've been reading (on here) today is how Trump can't do what he just did.
LOVE IT!
What would liberals lose their minds over?

It's not like he's doing something that Bush and Obama before him hadn't already done.
And, no, you didn't read that he couldn't do what he just did. No one said that he couldn't request the National Guard.
No one.

And, in point of fact, he can't even personally send the National Guard. He has to request their deployment from each state's governor.

Details.

Anyway, while I have no more issue with this deployment than I did with the previous, I still think, in this particular instance, it's all show. There is no immediate threat at the southern border and the Guard will be pretty much be sitting on their hands wasting taxpayer money while they are there.
But it is extremely entertaining to see everyone cheering as if for their favorite sports team.

Such is political discourse in this country these days.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Immigration is a multi-step problem.

First -- deal with the existing non-status residents. Either put them in the system or ask them to leave but just do it. I'm inclined to allow folks who are working, paying taxes or in school -- no violent criminal records, etc.....to be put into the process. They are contributing to society and have established lives here. I know some of you disagree -- that's okay -- I think I can live with whatever is decided as long as a permanent solution is offered up. Making these people wait and see while the govt. (both sides) uses them as pawns is not right.

Second -- of course use the laws we have already passed to protect our borders should be followed. We have rules about what some of you call chain migration. Legal residents can petition for parents or siblings to come to the country. Each application should be reviewed and status granted when appropriate. Visas should be tracked. Yes it is a huge undertaking but as this is the biggest problem with non-status residents -- let's address. Violent criminals get sent back to their home land. IMMEDIATELY.

Third -- most definitely border patrol is critical. Of course it isn't 100% but before we invest in a huge capital infrastructure, the mere increase of border patrol may slow the process.

Apparently, the thought of Trump and his aversion to illegals has slowed the number of those coming to this country illegally. Add to this enhanced border patrol and we could see significant impact.

I also want to see e-verify mandated federally. This is a national security issue. My kids weren't citizens when they first had to get jobs and both worked in places that demanded e-verify. It is no big deal. Just make it mandatory and be done with it.

You will always have some illegal immigration. It happens everywhere but reducing it significantly doesn't require mass deportations, billion dollar infrastructure investment that would have to be patrolled and maintained anyways.

(this is a simple approach -- doesn't include every possible nuance -- but you get the gist of it)

Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most people who are in the know about immigration security say we need more boots on the ground in the southwest, not a wall. So this helps in a way though the NG will not have authority to interact with the illegals. The Border Patrol has authorization to hire more people but they can't find them. It's a crappy place to work and a worse place to raise your family.

Illegal crossings may be at a low but it is also anecdotally on an uptick. We are seeing stories on the Phoenix news of safe houses full of Hondurans being busted. It has been quite a while since we have seen that kind of activity. It's mediated by the economy and employment, of course, so I would like to see e-verify implemented and a crackdown on employers. I'm not holding my breath. Really effective measures are not too popular with businesses desperate for workers and are avoided.
Most people who are in the know are those doing the job on the border and congress didn't follow their recommendations.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Seems not all that long ago we were hearing the Trumpies tell us the flow of illegals across the border had been reduced to a mere trickle thanks to the magic of Donny. And NOW it's a crisis requiring the NG?

As is not unusual when Trump's involved it sure sounds like there's a large amount of BS somewhere in this pile.
They can't get their stories straight to save their lives.

What we have here is a large group of people who live in constant fear. They are terrified of school kids and now, seemingly, terrified of poor, desperate people fleeing violence in their country much of which is a direct result of U.S. policies.

They are clearly so fearful that their brains, much like the president's, simply cannot process reality in any meaningful way.

It would be sad if their way of thinking wasn't so dangerous.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
They can't get their stories straight to save their lives.

What we have here is a large group of people who live in constant fear. They are terrified of school kids and now, seemingly, terrified of poor, desperate people fleeing violence in their country much of which is a direct result of U.S. policies.

They are clearly so fearful that their brains, much like the president's, simply cannot process reality in any meaningful way.

It would be sad if their way of thinking wasn't so dangerous.
I think what we have here is a large group of people who constantly tell lies about others they don't even know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies