Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times

Advertisements

Did the Democrats make the people move out to the suburbs?

It is true many 'Democratic' cities or cities where Black Americans finally got control, had major issues with corruption, mismanagement, etc. They were not prepared to really 'run' their cities and many chose to take advantage of their power and abuse it.

Atlanta was another example of that -- but why has Atlanta thrived while Detroit continues to flounder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,808,493 times
Strange just today I read article on the incredible rebirth going on in Detroit as entrepreneurs are taking over and rehabbing older buildings.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Just for S and G's I went on over to Google maps to check out Detroit on Streetview. I plopped that little yellow dude in 8 different sections of the city and didn't see any blight. Where exactly are the bad areas of Detroit?

By contrast, I hopped over to Flint and it was easy to see the blight. Even if I navigated to a block or two that looked nice, it eventually became bad again.

I'm just curious at how widespread the blight is in Detroit.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,116,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just for S and G's I went on over to Google maps to check out Detroit on Streetview. I plopped that little yellow dude in 8 different sections of the city and didn't see any blight. Where exactly are the bad areas of Detroit?

By contrast, I hopped over to Flint and it was easy to see the blight. Even if I navigated to a block or two that looked nice, it eventually became bad again.

Try scanning around the "North End" area. Many streets are uninhabited with large areas of empty fields that were once full of houses. There are many neighborhoods like this in Detroit. They tend to be close in towards downtown.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Downtown Detroit is making a comeback but still problems with the surrounding area. Over time it will come back but don't expect miracles.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM

29,603 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Mostly what is left of the residential areas. Although there are still a lot of buildings abandoned. Some of the older unique ones are being restored and turned into apartments.

Up close: 8 most abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
San Diego Mayor is Republican and they have the lowest murder rate of any US city....well actually San Diego is twice the population of Detroit. El Paso is the same population, has a Republican Mayor and has probably the 2nd lowest murder rate of any US city.
New York City has a Democratic mayor, as a population of 8 million, and it has one of the lowest murder rates in America. Tulsa, Oklahoma is a Republican ran city and it's experienced a spike in its murder rate, much higher than NYC or SD. Tulsa has a murder rate around 20 murders per 100,000. Kind of high. Tulsa is a Republican city in Republican ran state, with oil as a part of its economy. It has a high murder rate.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Try scanning around the "North End" area. Many streets are uninhabited with large areas of empty fields that were once full of houses. There are many neighborhoods like this in Detroit. They tend to be close in towards downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Mostly what is left of the residential areas. Although there are still a lot of buildings abandoned. Some of the older unique ones are being restored and turned into apartments.

Up close: 8 most abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit
Thanks for the information.

I've never been to Michigan, much less Detroit so all I know about it is what I read online, photos I see, etc. I like using Streetview to get a "feel" for a city.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Where are you getting the 2 million number ? The population is down to 675k now.
I was responding to someone else. I would go look at their post to understand what I'm talking about.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM

29,603 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was responding to someone else. I would go look at their post to understand what I'm talking about.
No problem. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies