Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

1,239 posts, read 509,952 times

Advertisements

This thread makes it painfully clear that Gun Control is necessary.
When the police are so fearful that they have to open fire on someone they know to be mentally ill before even issuing commands, it's clear that we as a society have to deal with these issues.

We need gun regulations to protect our police!

Police should not have to fear that everyone has a gun.
Police should not have to fear that the mentally ill have guns.
The police should not have to be in fear every time that they stop a car to give a ticket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Because a known mental case in a two-handed shooting stance with an object that looks exactly like a gun should not be considered a threat?
Don’t you know a mentally ill person couldn’t shoot and kill people.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:44 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
When the police are so fearful that they have to open fire on someone they know to be mentally ill before even issuing commands, it's clear that we as a society have to deal with these issues.

The police should not have to be in fear every time that they stop a car to give a ticket.

Uh no.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post

Is this satire?

You could repeal the 2nd and confiscate all guns. But if someone wields a shooting stance with a metallic object that appears to be a gun against the cops then he's still gonna get blown away.

And I say that as a proponent of gun control.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:56 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Slowly but surely, it has come to this. That police officers should never shoot any person regardless of the circumstance.

Certainly there have been questionable incidents in the past involving police shootings, but nowadays there is no justifiable shooting, even if it means an officer may die. That's the message these protesters have been shouting to the masses for the past decade.

Saheed Vassell's Father Speaks Out After Brooklyn Shooting | Time

Quote:
When Vassell pointed the object at the arriving officers in what police officials described as a “two-handed shooting stance,” four opened fire, shooting a combined 10 times.

Vassell’s father, Eric, told reporters after the shooting that his son had been hospitalized several times for psychiatric problems, some involving encounters with the police, but was polite and kind.

“Police had a choice. They always have a choice. They should not train them to kill. They should train them to protect life, to save life,” Eric Vassell said in an interview with WABC-TV.
Yea, so they should train the police to protect life, to save life, but their own?

Jeezus.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Is this satire?

You could repeal the 2nd and confiscate all guns. But if someone wields a shooting stance with a metallic object that appears to be a gun against the cops then he's still gonna get blown away.

And I say that as a proponent of gun control.
"In 2013 UK police didn't fire a single lethal shot. In 2011 German police were responsible for six shooting deaths, the same as Australian police in 2010"

Police Firearm use by country

In countries with stricter gun control, there are way less police shootings.
In the US, the culture and belief is that any and everyone could have a gun. As such, police are much more on edge.

In countries where that is not the culture, and police don't have to look at everyone as a potential shooter, they don't need to go into every situation fearful for their lives.

The guy didn't deserve to die, that's clear as day.
The cops shouldn't and won't be charged because they acted within their rights, considering the circumstances.

That's ****ing awful, and something needs to change. This isn't a one off case. **** like this happens all the time, and it shouldn't.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Slowly but surely, it has come to this. That police officers should never shoot any person regardless of the circumstance.

Certainly there have been questionable incidents in the past involving police shootings, but nowadays there is no justifiable shooting, even if it means an officer may die. That's the message these protesters have been shouting to the masses for the past decade.

Saheed Vassell's Father Speaks Out After Brooklyn Shooting | Time

Yea, so they should train the police to protect life, to save life, but their own?

Jeezus.
Was he going to get them wet with with his shower drain?
It was kind of cold outside yesterday, so maybe they could have got hypothermia afterward.

Last edited by Sactown4; 04-05-2018 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 03:00 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Call me old school but if a cop points a gun at me, or even stops me on the highway, I'm going to do exactly what he says. His holstered loaded gun and coworkers with loaded guns with the backing of Uncle Sam tend to have some authority.

It seems to be working so far in all my interactions Ive had with cops. Maybe as a black man I'm just lucky.

Option 1: Do what the cops say, don't argue
Option 2: Get loaded gun pointed at your face

Easy choice for me. I can't speak for white people but for black people there is no room for error.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Call me old school but if a cop points a gun at me, or even stops me on the highway, I'm going to do exactly what he says. His holstered loaded gun and coworkers with loaded guns with the backing of Uncle Sam tend to have some authority.

It seems to be working so far in all my interactions Ive had with cops. Maybe as a black man I'm just lucky.

Easy choice for me. I can't speak for white people but for black people there is no room for error.
Right but that's not what happened here. Cops drove up and started shooting drive-by gangsta style and executed the guy. No commands, no freeze, put your weapon, down, zilch, nada.

See post 61.

23 seconds: That's all there was between arriving on scene and calling for an ambulance.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

That goes for everyone, there have been plenty of white people killed by police. I have been on the receiving end of a cop with his gun out at me, mistaken identity it ended up being, but it was a full on armed and dangerous felony stop, complete with gun drawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies