Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Inflation was also 12%, which means that your debt load went down by 12% per year by doing nothing. The real interest rate is the nominal rate minus inflation.

I do think think that excessive government loans are driving the price of higher education upwards, since said loans create infinite demand.

Yes it was. But someone earlier said that was good because it caused housing prices to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes it was. But someone earlier said that was good because it caused housing prices to go up.
I read that too. It was an absurd statement.

“My loaf of bread is now worth a million marks...I’m rich!”, said no one in Germany in 1923.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
exactly. I went to work at the job I retired from in 1973. The first time I took a "vacation" was in 1998.....
so what you're saying is that you never had to deal with getting laid off due to structural changes in the economy?

sounds like you had it easy

Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
sounds like a mischaracterization to me.

Volker raised rates in order to slow down wage inflation. You know, businesses wanting to pay their employees more. Unions were still powerful and those wages increases were widely believed to be uncompetitive for the US economy.

Back when interest rates were 12%, wages were going up at 8-10% and homes could be purchased at 2 times annual salary. It really wasn't a bad deal, at all, despite all the complaining you hear about it.

Buying a house when rates were 12% resulted in a massive windfall for those owners as rates fell and home prices spiked.

Today the median sales price of a home is $328,600. Back in 1980 it was $63,700. Home prices doubled between 1980 and 1990 alone.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Volker raised rates in order to slow down wage inflation. You know, businesses wanting to pay their employees more. Unions were still powerful and those wages increases were widely believed to be uncompetitive for the US economy.

Back when interest rates were 12%, wages were going up at 8-10% and homes could be purchased at 2 times annual salary. It really wasn't a bad deal, at all, despite all the complaining you hear about it.

Buying a house when rates were 12% resulted in a massive windfall for those owners as rates fell and home prices spiked.
I assume you are referring to the late 70s and early 80s. Interest rates were high, but so was inflation. Wages would have needed to go up by 8-10% just to keep pace with inflation.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Interest rates were high, but so was inflation.
Yes that's the point.

And inflation includes, not just the cost of milk and bread, but the value and cost of housing assets.

It's not just about whether your wages are growing as fast as inflation, but whether your assets are growing faster than your debts. And in the case of the boomers they enjoyed many, many years where inflation eroded the cost of their debt.

This concept is known as the time-value of money.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t...lueofmoney.asp

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

Today the median sales price of a home is $328,600. Back in 1980 it was $63,700. Home prices doubled between 1980 and 1990 alone.

To make your high number valid, or at least you have to remember the following point, is that number is somewhat driven by a small number of metro areas which also tend to have higher wages. Not to mention median family income differences.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
so what you're saying is that you never had to deal with getting laid off due to structural changes in the economy?

sounds like you had it easy
lol, this post reminds me of an old Electric Company song:

We are the kids known as Whimper and Whine.
Whimper And Whine.
Whimper And Whine.

That’s what we do when we sit down to dine:
Whimper And whine, whine, whine.

If you give us peas, we hardly can wait
To whimper and whine them right off of our plate.

Oh, we are the kids known as Whimper and Whine.

Whimper And Whine.
Whimper And Whine.

It’s not very nice, but it always works fine
To whimper And whine, whine, whine.

Though we love ice cream, we whimper for more,
And whine till our one scoop turns into three more.

Yes, we are the kids known as Whimper and Whine.
Whimper And Whine.
Whimper And Whine.

That’s what we do when we sit down to dine:
Whimper And whine, whine, whine.

The weather is bad, and Mom wants us neat.
Still, we want our galoshes right off of our feet.
Whine! Whine!
Whimper, whimper, whimper, whimper.

We are the kids known as Whimper and Whine,
Wondering why we’re alone all the time.
Maybe it’s ‘cause no one else thinks it’s fine
To whimper and whine, whine, whine.

Composer: Joe Raposo

Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
How much was college tuition in 1982?
what was minimum wage in 1982?

$3.35

Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
what was minimum wage in 1982?

$3.35
In 1982, I'd just have gone to the oil refinery in my town straight out of high school, told them my dad worked there and I'd be put on a list to get called when they had a spot for me, and I'd have made well above minimum. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies