Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:30 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times

Advertisements

I heard that it was qualified as those who were friends and /or families of someone with a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
There are plenty of rehab facilities available to the addicts. It's their decision to not utilize them and carry on with their self destructive lifestyle. Why interfere when they can address the problem themselves? I say let them go; it simply reinforces Darwin's Theory.
I am a long time, on again, off again, volunteer at a hospital detox/treatment facility.

Rehab does not cure addiction. It is often, too often, the pause that refreshes.

Most relapse when they re-enter the real word or change their drug of choice.

Alcoholics and drug addicts need their next drink/ hit the way a normie needs their next breath.

Any recovery program works if/when one works the program. It's a lifetime commitment- whatever it takes- to sobriety.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would be nervous to get involved if I came across someone overs dosing short of calling 911.
What if they were to get violent or I harmed them somehow and they sued me? Are they recommending that we also carry gloves and a face mask in case the druggie spits or bleeds on us and passes along his hepatitis or aids?

I have a hard time being sympathetic to someone that willingly shoots themselves with garbage risking their very lives each time they do it and crushing the hopes of their loved ones.
Not all opioid/opiate addicts use injection.

Someone in the process of overdosing is typically unconscious.

40 states have some form of Good Samaritan Laws.

Naloxone can be administered by injection or nasal spray.

I suspect you would be uncomfortable administering CPR to anyone, given the unknowns.

( I am not advocating for the general public to carry Naloxone)

Old 04-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
At first I thought the advisory was for regular folks going about their day and accidentally being exposed therefore needing the antidote to administer for their own health.

But no, the government wants me to buy an antidote for $37.50 and administer it to strangers if I see them OD in public.

To that I say how about this Sammy: get your nose out of my life, quit manipulating the free market of drugs, and I'll decide who I wish to interact via non-aggression and personal contract.
How does one get accidentally exposed?

Old 04-05-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I heard that it was qualified as those who were friends and /or families of someone with a problem.
Yes it was.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The nation's chief doctor wants more Americans to start carrying the overdose antidote naloxone to help combat the nation's opioid crisis and save lives.
If the government gave it to me for free, and paid me $75/hour for walking around with it, I might consider doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Overdoses are just one of many variations of what I call "adding chlorine to the gene pool."

The life of the OD addict is theirs, it belongs to them, and they can end it if they so choose. Who am I to stop them from executing their own choices over a life that they own?
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most relapse when they re-enter the real word or change their drug of choice.
12-Step programs harp on changing "people, places and things." Those who are the most successful in their "recovery" are the ones who have relocated, even if only across town, and who cut off their family and friends, who are the primary stressors that lead to alcohol or substance abuse.

You can't send someone through a substance abuse program, and then put them back into the environment that led to their substance abuse in the first place, and be successful.

Quote:
It's possible, and it does happen.

Back in January, a veteran over-dosed and died in the bathroom at the VA hospital here, and the two VA police officers who attended were exposed to fentyanal, resulting in both being sent to the emergency room and one being kept over-night for observation. Both fentyanal and carfentynal are absorbed through the skin, so first-responders and police are now using rubber gloves to help prevent it.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/am...g-call-n759741
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies