Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

Well this is going to end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, a nice personal attack because apparently you are either unable, or unwilling to discuss the topic. How droll.

good job on selective quoting trying to make it look like a personal attack since you had no response to the points made.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Trump has focused too much on fighting China on trade. Trade imbalance can not be resolved in short term unless driving trade with China down to zero. Then, there will be no leverage to deal with China. That'd be a scenario of not just ruining US economy but world peace will also be affected.
Our trade with China is actually quite small considering the size of their economy due to their ridiculous restrictions on american products and investment.

Meanwhile we feed their country.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
They would never allow such a thing to happen, Walmarts all over the country would have to shut down while this plays out. China owns too much US debt for us to be any real threat to them. They know they have that debt over our heads in a HUGE way.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Our trade with China is actually quite small considering the size of their economy due to their ridiculous restrictions on american products and investment.

Meanwhile we feed their country.
No, it’s more like we won’t sell them what they want to buy, but we want them to buy what they can make, usually just as good or better, but cheaper. Now we are mad at them and want to punish them. As far as trade with China, that’s the situation and trump is too stupid to understand it. And, of course now that kim has gone off to china, the trump Kim summit has lost its prestige, so the only thing left for trump to do to appear tough on foreign policy is to go hard on China. It’s all about those nov elections this fall.

Trump is a crappy president and a despicable human being.m

Old 04-06-2018, 04:54 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Here we go...I knew he wouldn't stay quiet. If he keeps this up we are going straight into a recession. Imbecile

This is a war Trump can't win, when is he going to realize this? China could crush us with one word, Embargo. Just think of all the consumer goods made in China that wouldn't be available to Americas. Sure it would hurt the Chinese economy, but just imagine stores like Target and Walmart shelves empty of clothing, electronics, toys, and how that would affect our economy. We at least grow our own food, so we wouldn't be starving at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Does he not even consider the problem if China just stops buying our T bills????
I really don't think this is an issue, I firmly believe as the Government issues more debt, they create fake buyers to buy the debt. It's a shell game the United States government has been playing for years. Anyone with any common sense has to realize by now the just no way the United States can ever afford to repay it's debt obligations. It's the worlds biggest scam, they make Bernie Madoff look like a small time street thug in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This could get real ugly real quick.
I think the real issue here is once we get rid of Trump, whether it's by impeachment or the next election (I shutter to think the amount of damage he can do in 4 years) the affects of his stupid decisions will continue to haunt us for years afterwards, Tariffs still in effect after the others are eliminated, Supreme court judge appointees, trade deals the United States wasn't part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Normally, I would be concerned.... but he just "talks", he won't necessarily DO anything.
He has repeatedly shown he ignores the good advise he's given and does what ever the hell he wants. People who disagrees with his views are Fired and replaced with someone else. He can't be proven "wrong" no matter what the consequences are. Yes, I believe he will issue 100 billion in tariffs and 100 trillion not long afterwards. He will do down in history has the worse president ever.

Last edited by TechGromit; 04-06-2018 at 05:19 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
So we're supposed to keep allowing China to place heavy tariffs on our exports while we have very low tariffs on theirs?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They would never allow such a thing to happen, Walmarts all over the country would have to shut down while this plays out. China owns too much US debt for us to be any real threat to them. They know they have that debt over our heads in a HUGE way.
This argument is a non-stater and actually gives the US leverage over them.

The main difference between us is that China exercises much more control over their economy than the US govt does and China does not have any upcoming elections that may put Trump policies under pressure. However the US as a buyer of Chinese goods can certainly inflict pain.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I was pleased yesterday to see the Dow Jones heading back up, finishing around 250 points up. I even contemplated posting something to the effect of "The market is up! What will President Trump say to cause it to crash again?"

However, I decided against it, since I could not imagine Mr. Trump coming out with anything that would shake up the Market again.

One may be excused for coming to the conclusion that Mr. Trump revels in his power to cause the market to swing up and down. It must be heady stuff, to him, to know that 'I only have to say or tweet something, sit back, and watch the Dow Jones respond!'

Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
This ?!?!?
Trump is nightmarish and always has been.

He s being trump.
That is why he is a failed businessman....failed in terms of a business man who turns an honest days work and doesn't trample on others rights,or use a lawyer to do that to others. ....American values ...he has failed.

So, he will double down till he gets bored or impeached as the $$ s may as well be monopoly money for all he cares. He and his family for damn sure isn't going to suffer from yet another blunder with someone's else's money.
Of course, he's a moron that still doesn't get government.

He's not a negotiator. He comes from a private business where the boss is god and he's ripped a lot of people off. Government is more about diplomacy and negotiations, especially with other powerful nations like China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Trump has focused too much on fighting China on trade. Trade imbalance can not be resolved in short term unless driving trade with China down to zero. Then, there will be no leverage to deal with China. That'd be a scenario of not just ruining US economy but world peace will also be affected.
Even driving trade to zero will still leave a trade imbalance, as it'll all just go to another country likely in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies