Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Breaking up someone's argument is rather natural, particularly when they attempt to steamroll you with a dozen different questionable assertions.

You are not going to convince me of anything by sheer volume of words, I'll tell you that.

That's rather ironic, considering that your post attacked my ideas from the opening sentence.
Again, you just can't understand what I said. If you think breaking up somebody's argument to be natural I could that too, although I don't think it's very productive.
"Americans and Europeans, in fact, enjoy higher standards of living, more freedoms, and better environmental protections than Chinese currently do."
Let's be honest, one of the reasons american and european companies go to poor countries is because environmental laws are almost inexistent, they can dump their waste rather than costly disposing of it. Freedom? The u.s. and europe have constantly supported coups on democratic governments to install dictatorships, they are very good friends with repressive monarchies in the middle east, and so on. Higher standards of living? sure so long as that doesn't interfere with their bottom line.
"Yes which is why the U.S. Government has an important role to play in ensuring a valid framework for international trade that does a better job of protecting American interests in China."
This is kind of hypocritical given that western countries give billions of dollars to industries whose products have to compete in the global market at international prices with poor countries who cannot give subsidies, and are in fact discouraged by the fmi, world bank, etc.
"Can you try this in English?"
Read the sentence again, the comparison is not too hard to understand.
"Scientific innovation isn't going to happen without a profit motive."
This is a prejudice, not a fact. Have you actually thought about it rationally, putting your ego aside for a minute?
"This is gibberish."
This type of expression towards somebody else's ideas shows a lot, but I won't comment further.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM

39,193 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
[/indent]Let's be honest, one of the reasons american and european companies go to poor countries is because environmental laws are almost inexistent, they can dump their waste rather than costly disposing of it. Freedom? The u.s. and europe have constantly supported coups on democratic governments to install dictatorships, they are very good friends with repressive monarchies in the middle east, and so on. Higher standards of living? sure so long as that doesn't interfere with their bottom line.
Actually, the article (written by Chinese) explains the situation pretty well

The causes of Beijing’s widespread air pollution can be attributed to a number of factors: an enormous economic boom, a surge in the number of motorized vehicles, population growth, output from manufacturing, and natural reasons which include the city’s surrounding topography and seasonal weather. China has also experienced major economic growth with a drastic rise in Gross Domestic Product (GDP). This increase in wealth can be correlated with an increase in pollution.

https://osu.pb.unizin.org/sciencebit...beijing-china/

So it looks like blaming the Europeans and Americans really doesn't help your argument here.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Let's be honest, one of the reasons american and european companies go to poor countries is because environmental laws are almost inexistent, they can dump their waste rather than costly disposing of it.
Discriminating against foreign firms does not solve China's environmental problems, because China is allowing domestic firms to pollute instead.

The idea that American firms are to blame for Chinese pollution is rather dubious and needs citation.

Quote:
Freedom? The u.s. and europe have constantly supported coups on democratic governments to install dictatorships, they are very good friends with repressive monarchies in the middle east, and so on.
First off, Europe has no place in this discussion as far as I can tell. U.S. policymakers are not responsible for Europe.

In any event, the American government's support of foreign dictators does not make American citizens any less free.

Furthermore, China is not a Democracy, so it's peculiar that you'd single out Americans as the "unfree" people in this comparison.

Quote:
Higher standards of living? sure so long as that doesn't interfere with their bottom line.
Here you are conflating western institutions with western individuals.

Quote:
This is kind of hypocritical given that western countries give billions of dollars to industries whose products have to compete in the global market at international prices with poor countries who cannot give subsidies, and are in fact discouraged by the fmi, world bank, etc.
China not only gives subsidies to its industries, it gives the biggest subsidies in the world to its industries.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Discriminating against foreign firms does not solve China's environmental problems, because China is allowing domestic firms to pollute instead.

The idea that American firms are to blame for Chinese pollution is rather dubious and needs citation.

First off, Europe has no place in this discussion as far as I can tell. U.S. policymakers are not responsible for Europe.

In any event, the American government's support of foreign dictators does not make American citizens any less free.

Furthermore, China is not a Democracy, so it's peculiar that you'd single out Americans as the "unfree" people in this comparison.

Here you are conflating western institutions with western individuals.

China not only gives subsidies to its industries, it gives the biggest subsidies in the world to its industries.

I didn't say they are responsible, what I said is that in the west environment laws are strict which make cost go up, therefore companies prefer to work in china. There is nothing debatable here.

I quote the u.s. and europe together because their economic policies and military invasion are almost always consistent and stronger against the rest of countries. What I was trying to show with the fact that the west prefers good relations with dictatorships and monarchies is that low wages/low environment protection/less rights in general can be used by companies to benefits a few people on top, but the rest of western countries in general. But things are changing now.

Now china give huge subsidies to industries, use even more toxics, exploit their people even more, etc.; this goes back to what I said, these are the tools used to transfer wealth from one group of people to the other. China has gotten better at the same "free market" game that the west itself imposed on the rest of the world but NOW it is unfair when karma comes back. The irony!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't say they are responsible, what I said is that in the west environment laws are strict which make cost go up, therefore companies prefer to work in china. There is nothing debatable here.

I quote the u.s. and europe together because their economic policies and military invasion are almost always consistent and stronger against the rest of countries. What I was trying to show with the fact that the west prefers good relations with dictatorships and monarchies is that low wages/low environment protection/less rights in general can be used by companies to benefits a few people on top, but the rest of western countries in general. But things are changing now.

Now china give huge subsidies to industries, use even more toxics, exploit their people even more, etc.; this goes back to what I said, these are the tools used to transfer wealth from one group of people to the other. China has gotten better at the same "free market" game that the west itself imposed on the rest of the world but NOW it is unfair when karma comes back. The irony!
Karma? I think not.

What needs to happen is for the US and China to agree on a bilateral trade agreement and agree on ways to stop the dumping while still allowing the Chinese to slowly transform to a market economy so they do not encounter economic issues like unemployment in certain industries and debt issues due to a massive drop in the GDP growth rate.

It is not a popularity contest.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:13 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Here we go...I knew he wouldn't stay quiet. If he keeps this up we are going straight into a recession. Imbecile

Trump threatens to slap $100 billion in additional tariffs on China

Keep in mind China is also America's bank.

This could get real ugly real quick.
What are you concerned about "Trade wars are EASY to win." Especially when we have the world's greatest negotiator on our side.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Karma? I think not.

What needs to happen is for the US and China to agree on a bilateral trade agreement and agree on ways to stop the dumping while still allowing the Chinese to slowly transform to a market economy so they do not encounter economic issues like unemployment in certain industries and debt issues due to a massive drop in the GDP growth rate.

It is not a popularity contest.
I say karma because the only thing the chinese are guilty of is doing exactly what the west has done. The only difference is that the west did it through colonies, china did it a lot faster through their huge population. As things get worst [more tariffs are expected from both sides], maybe people will start to understand what I said in an earlier comment, but most people think is just "gibberish", I'll quote myself:
The problem has its root with the confusion of value. Price of goods and wages all are mixed into the "free market", which is just an abstraction that is not really free nor is it really a market. Price in goods and wages need to be measured in a total different way from the other because their value come from totally different aspects of life. Most people can't tell the difference.
Disregard for the environment, health and human rights and over emphasis on profits (no matter how wasteful/inefficient) plus corrupt politicians and widespread propaganda prevent people from basic understanding.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I say karma because the only thing the chinese are guilty of is doing exactly what the west has done. The only difference is that the west did it through colonies, china did it a lot faster through their huge population. As things get worst [more tariffs are expected from both sides], maybe people will start to understand what I said in an earlier comment, but most people think is just "gibberish", I'll quote myself:
The problem has its root with the confusion of value. Price of goods and wages all are mixed into the "free market", which is just an abstraction that is not really free nor is it really a market. Price in goods and wages need to be measured in a total different way from the other because their value come from totally different aspects of life. Most people can't tell the difference.
Disregard for the environment, health and human rights and over emphasis on profits (no matter how wasteful/inefficient) plus corrupt politicians and widespread propaganda prevent people from basic understanding.
well, then things have to change.

Like I said,

Forget about the history and focus on now. Now, the Chinese and Americans need to agree on a bilateral trade agreement. That is all.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
We did not need China when America was great and we will not be great again until we purge our economy of Chinese influence.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We did not need China when America was great and we will not be great again until we purge our economy of Chinese influence.
this logic is right up there with staring at the sky to tell the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies