Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why you would continue to fight background checks. What are you afraid of? You are all for selling guns to crazy people with long criminal records?
I'm armed, why should I fear them... Isn't that the purpose of my right and their right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:33 AM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Wow. Firearms anarchy. Let’s just have convicted felons and certifiable mental cases roaming around with their assault rifles. Welcome to the alt right mentality. Bullet proof vests anyone?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Because they are useless? That good enough? A bgc doesn't keep guns away from felons.

Correct!

The only way you can logically take anyone's right to defend themselves and obtaining firearms out in a free society, is to incarcerate them, or kill them.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:36 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
US 18 -926, reinforces the constitutional right's only restraint. Shall not be infringed. Upheld by the Supreme Court, before 18-926 was established.
Unconstitutional laws....
Using the Bill of Rights as your guide, what was illegal about a person keeping arms?
What age is a person, a person?

You can only try to deny a person their endowed rights to life & liberty.
"Upheld by the Supreme Court"

I don't think there has EVER been a ruling but the SC that EVERYBODY agrees with.

MANY earlier rulings have been overturned by newer courts.

They are NOT infallible!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You could try taking a swing at the question. And yes, I'm familiar with current SC interpretation of the 2nd.
Instead of listening to what you think people mean how about going by what the founders reasonings were behind the 2nd amendment. After all they are ones who came up with it right?

If Thomas Jefferson was alive today and the question was asked about the 2nd amendment who do you think is the go to person? You? Me? or Thomas Jefferson?

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers." - George Mason

You do remember they just fought a war against a tyrannical government and their intentions were not to replace it with their own tyrannical government?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:38 AM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
I did. You failed to see it.
The stated reason we have the right to keep & bear arms. The qualifier.... A well regulated militia, in order to secure a free state,
So you're not in a well-regulated militia?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Yes, in a round about way...
Congress has the power to restrict (regulate) commerce. Under that power, they have established licensing laws for firearms dealers. If we the people, want to exercise our right to bear arms, and we want to purchase said arms from a dealer, then the dealers are subject to the laws established by the representatives of the people. Background checks protect the dealers from prosecution under those provisions.

We can manufacture our own firearms. However, given my skill, I would much rather purchase one from a reliable manufacturer and their dealers.
"Congress has the power to restrict (regulate) commerce" as long as it is CONSTITUTIONAL.

NO LAW can be upheld if it is proven to NOT be Constitutional.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Show me the well-regulated militia you're part of, buddy.
Why don't you find out what "well regulated" means first!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
You are missing it:
...be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof...

It is not being recorded or transferred to a facility owned, managed or controlled by the US or State.

You the person(qualifier) ain't suppose to be keeping it in the first place, to even be forced to transfer it to them.

When someone buys a pack of cigarettes, they don't log the persons name, for their records, unless government mandates it.
When I get a receipt from the grocery store, it doesn't have my name on it.

Why does my name have to be on a receipt for buying a gun, but not a bow?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Quote:
What happened to shall not be infringed? Any and all laws restricting arms to those that walk freely in society, are unconstitutional.

Background checks mandated by government, so you don't get legally held liable for the actions of others.... Sounds like coercion, to do governments unconstitutional dirty work for them.

It is governments job to notify you who is under indictment, so you don't "unknowingly". Not yours to notify them who is trying to buy a gun.

You are looking at this from the barrel end and cannot see the sight picture.

They are not infringing your rights to own a firearm with a background check. They are regulating commerce of firearms.

The FBI provided database is the government's attempt to notify dealers of who should not be sold firearms.

The FFL dealer is not reporting your purchase to a state or federal controlled database. The local records kept by the dealer are a "loophole" that they can leverage but within the bounds of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies