Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 PM

1,239 posts, read 505,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Um, I've carried and given birth to two young, white men, and have been raising them for 19 years. You don't speak for me. Your post sounds a little snowflakey, and my 19-year-old son would tell you to quit your whining.
Yea, I don't get the snowflakes who make these stupid claims either.
Even among privileged groups, there is a hierarchy.

I'm a white male, and I receive white, male privilege.
Am I lying?

Old 04-06-2018, 01:34 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,864,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well whites are the majority of the population even today in America .

Also what’s often not mentioned is that those whites often worked their butt off to get there. There is a lot less inheriting a bunch of money or inheriting some position . Everyone sees the end result .. but not all the work that let up to it .

Just like a white female or a black or Hispanic person that gets into one of those powerful positions .

A lot of the most successful people in America are self made regardless of race /gender.

I say if you take advantage of all the opportunities available and then can’t succeed to your expectations then you have a right to complain .

Also not everyone wants a powerful position regardless of race .
White privilege has never meant that you don't work hard in life to find success. Or that you are born wealthy and with a silver spoon in your mouth. It's not a guarantee of anything. Nor does it mean that you don't "deserve" to be where are in life (at least in any intrinsic way).

All it means is that you are afforded certain things in life simply because you are who you are. Some of these things are small and subtle, such as how a stranger views you on the street, or a positive first impression during a job interview.

It doesn't mean that there aren't times where you are not advantaged. There are many forms of privilege in the world, this is just one. Other people can be afforded certain advantages in other situations.

I'm a white male - I'm well aware of what it means to be who I am in this world. I have worked very hard to get to where I am in life. But I'm also very cognizant of how lucky I am in many ways.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

38,969 posts, read 27,356,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Yea, I don't get the snowflakes who make these stupid claims either.
Even among privileged groups, there is a hierarchy.

I'm a white male, and I receive white, male privilege.
Am I lying?
If a white male homeless says that he did not have the white male privilege, is he lying?

How about just accept it as what it is. Not two people will share the exact same experiences.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,810,229 times
It all boils down to equal opportunity vs equal outcomes.

Minorities have been given equal opportunity for 1/2 a century. **THEY** have failed themselves in achieving equal outcomes, so it must be whites fault.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM

1,239 posts, read 505,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If a white male homeless says that he did not have the white male privilege, is he lying?

How about just accept it as what it is. Not two people will share the exact same experiences.
White male privilege doesn't mean what you think it does. He wouldn't be lying, but he would probably be wrong.
White male privilege doesn't automatically mean everything will go your way, or that you will be a success. It just means that things will go better for you than if you were not white.

The white homeless guy is probably getting more money when he panhandles than the black guy on the next corner. He might be able to walk into a store without having security automatically start following him. It's less likely that he was sexually harassed or raped.

He might have been really unlucky, and his problems are no fault of his own, but all other things being equal, **** would have been worse if he wasn't a white.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:49 PM

38,969 posts, read 27,356,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post

The white homeless guy is probably getting more money when he panhandles than the black guy on the next corner. He might be able to walk into a store without having security automatically start following him. It's less likely that he was sexually harassed or raped.
If you say so.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:53 PM

29,467 posts, read 16,329,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It all boils down to equal opportunity vs equal outcomes.

Minorities have been given equal opportunity for 1/2 a century. **THEY** have failed themselves in achieving equal outcomes, so it must be whites fault.
Even if that was true that black people had equal opportunity for 50 years( it isn't), you can't fix a generational problem in one generation.

Your belief is based on a lie

Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,598,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post

But most White Men are not in positions of power.
maybe most white men are not in power positions, but the select, relatively few power positions in this country are held by the majority of white men.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Karh6on8hBnLm7

Despite the increase in nonwhite representation in Congress, whites account for 81% of the current Congress but represent just 62% of the population.

not to mention POTUS, VPOTUS, etc.

so, what was that you were complaining about?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,810,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Even if that was true that black people had equal opportunity for 50 years( it isn't), you can't fix a generational problem in one generation.

Your belief is based on a lie
Can you site the laws that you believe have oppressed minorities in the last 50 years?

How much do you attribute black people's lower IQ (statistical fact), five times higher crime rate (statistical fact) and higher single parent homes (statistical fact) to their lack of success?

And BTW 50 years is TWO generations.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:05 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,089,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well I am not sure what you with meant with this reply to the other poster, but let me ask you a question since I don't know your political views.

Are you a person who goes along with some of the liberal narrative the OP is describing?
If not, are you aware it has some validity?

Though it is not always so obvious, when you have college classes teaching positive things about everyone except white hetero Christian men, or professors and the like talking about men in general, and white men specifically being a problem in our country, what are your thoughts?

Also, whenever even the slightest joke or comment about a minority or woman is made, knee-jerk liberals assume and even accuse white men of being ____ist, _____phobe, etc.
Yet these same people who claim to want to COEXIST and sing kumbaya with everyone, make outward anti-white and/or male comments with nary a 2nd thought.
What are your thoughts on such things considering you have two white male sons?

`
Nobody needs courses in “white guy.”

We all know plenty about white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies