Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
So that's a yes, this is a trolling thread.
(since a quick check shows that none of my previous posts have been deleted)

I read the article and you said that NPR lied I called you on that you have yet to prove it's a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
This is my comment from earlier: "It's too early at this stage to tell how he'll develop over the course of the presidency."

As far as I can see, you're the only one in this conversation who has made predictions and assumptions about the future. It's not particularly wise to refer to pretenses of foresight as buffoonery, while you do the very same thing within the space of the same post.

So let's summarize. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he develops, given that he has recently professed to become a Christian. You commit to gauzy inductions, hunches and guesswork to condemn him as an irredeemable sinner.

You then throw bile and vitriol at any suggestion that he has the potential to improve himself. In the same breath, you happily label yourself a normal Christian. That doesn't look good, even bearing in mind your moral ontology is skewed toward a secular liberal bent.
Well, let's just bookmark this thread and check back in a couple of years.

And then we shall see just what a good man and a good Christian DTJ 'evolves' into.

But you know what? It won't matter. You will make excuses for him no matter what he does or does not do.

Was it not DJT himself that proclaimed he could shoot someone on Fifth avenue and still not lose a supporter? I believe it was he.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:32 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
If Jesus himself ran for office as a Republican, the people of NY would not support him.

So you are comparing Donald Trump to Jesus now?

If Jesus could convince the people of NY he was the best candidate for the job and properly represent all the people of NY regardless of their religion, then I think the people of NY could support him. I think you grossly underestimate NY voters... given that Trump does business and lives in NY, they knew exactly who he was and what he stood for.

The Evangelicals got Bait and Switched...

Old 04-07-2018, 06:36 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Srsly? Evangelicals did not have to nominate Trump as their nominee. They had what . . 15 other nominees to consider? Own it.
What makes you think that a significant number of evangelicals voted for Trump in the primaries? You do not believe there are a lot of Americans that do not have religious convictions that wanted Trump in office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The fact of the matter is evangelicals are in panic mode. They see Trump as their last chance to restore the idea of the "white Christian America" that was supposedly lost in the 1960s. They know that trends and demographics aren't on their side. They know that in 20 years, evangelical Christianity will no longer be prominent enough to have a defining impact on public policy. They are willing to overlook Trump's faults if it means they have a chance at enshrining their religious beliefs into law.
You are the only person on this thread turning this into a race issue. Identity politics at its finest, and you people wonder why you lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Spiritual leaders are supposed to lead by example. Walking your talk would mean not endorsing a man who embodies everything you preach against to your flock week after week. A man who has lived a godless life, and who has such a dearth of humility that he has expressed a belief that he doesn't ever need to ask God's forgiveness for anything because he's never done anything wrong. Real Christians would never support someone with such hubris directed at God.
I'm a weak Christian, and surely not an evangelical by any stretch of the imagination, but why do you believe Trump is a "spiritual leader"? If there is one thing I learned in church as a child, it is that God uses some of the most unlikely mortals as His instruments of change. I believe that God looks at the BIG picture. Man can only see the SMALL picture as it relates to their immediate being. In a nutshell, evangelicals and many ordinary Christians in general voted for the individual they believe gave America the best hope going forward.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Then Jesus told them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's... Mark 12:17
“The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.â€

― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
If Jesus himself ran for office as a Republican, the people of NY would not support him.
What is this?

You can't honestly be comparing Trump to Jesus... Can you?

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 04-07-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

I'm a weak Christian, and surely not an evangelical by any stretch of the imagination, but why do you believe Trump is a "spiritual leader"? If there is one thing I learned in church as a child, it is that God uses some of the most unlikely mortals as His instruments of change. I believe that God looks at the BIG picture. Man can only see the SMALL picture as it relates to their immediate being. In a nutshell, evangelicals and many ordinary Christians in general voted for the individual they believe gave America the best hope going forward.
Do you think God had a hand in Trump's win? And if so, do you think God was working through Vladimir Putin as well?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
If I was Trump I'd tell these 'leaders' to go take a hike.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:17 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Do you think God had a hand in Trump's win? And if so, do you think God was working through Vladimir Putin as well?
I only wish I knew God's MO. He baffles me daily. I curse him on a regular basis and later that same day ask Him to make me a better person with more understanding. I cannot honestly answer your question.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
So you are comparing Donald Trump to Jesus now?

If Jesus could convince the people of NY he was the best candidate for the job and properly represent all the people of NY regardless of their religion, then I think the people of NY could support him. I think you grossly underestimate NY voters... given that Trump does business and lives in NY, they knew exactly who he was and what he stood for.

The Evangelicals got Bait and Switched...
And unlike Trump, Jesus would never say he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and still be elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies