Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

IMO, the way I see the evangelical base it they want to stay in power for the money first of all and to help make that money keep flowing by supporting Trump and those who voted for him. In all reality everyone knows Trump is an Atheist at best and so do the evangelicals they know this as well. In the end they don't care this is business for them and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Then I guess we can chalk this up to hubris. Or denial. Or both.

Quote:
"In an interview on Sunday with CNN, the Republican presidential frontrunner said that he does not regret never asking God for forgiveness, partially because he says he doesn't have much to apologize for.

"I have great relationship with God. I have great relationship with the Evangelicals," Trump said in the interview before pivoting to his poll numbers among Evangelical voters.

"I like to be good. I don't like to have to ask for forgiveness. And I am good. I don't do a lot of things that are bad. I try to do nothing that is bad."
Trump obviously doesn't see his past behavior as being anything that requires repentance and/or forgiveness, but I bet all the contractors he stiffed and the students he cheated and the women he assaulted think differently. They would absolutely dispute his "I don't do a lot of things that are bad."

But it's okay, the Evangelists aren't going to require that Trump own up to his past transgressions. He gets a mulligan for all of it.
We've read this.

This is the Jake Tapper interview. Not the interview with Cooper where he had to clarify what he meant by those remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Given Trump's well documented history of reneging on his word plus the fact he's on record saying "I don't stand by anything" I think it more appropriate I waste no time seeking more words from a man lacking in credibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Please. Not a damn thing Trump says has any basis or meaning, and nobody can seriously think somebody like him - who has lied, cheated, molested, and abused for years - is "sorry" for his actions. He has shown no repentance whatsoever, and he spends more time denying his actions and slandering his accusers than actually showing even a shred of guilty or humanity.
Oh there's no doubt he has a lot of baggage to deal with. The question is what progress he makes from this point onwards.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067
IMO, the way I see the evangelical base it they want to stay in power for the money first of all and to help make that money keep flowing by supporting Trump and those who voted for him. In all reality everyone knows Trump is an Atheist at best and so do the evangelicals they know this as well. In the end they don't care this is business for them and nothing else.
Yes, but what business is that? It's certainly not the business of saving souls, which is what they pretend their mission is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
We've read this.

This is the Jake Tapper interview. Not the interview with Cooper where he had to clarify what he meant by those remarks.
Respond to post number 78. Show us where he has even once expressed regret or asked forgiveness from the many victims of his past transgressions. He hasn't. Not one single time.

I get it, you love Trump and are willing to give him a free pass on everything, even things you readily condemn others (notably those with a D after their name) for doing. You don't even have to admit it, because everyone reading your posts already knows it.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Do we have substantive evidence of Donald Trump cheating on his wives? Why, yes. Yes, we do. Do we have substantive evidence of Donald Trump cheating contractors out of their hard earned pay? Why, yes. Yes, we do. Do we have substantive evidence that Trump sexually assaulted numerous women? Why yes. Yes we do.

Now, do we have any evidence that Donald Trump has repented these sins, made restitution, and asked forgiveness from his God for these transgressions?

No. No, we don't.

According to Donald he has never done anything that would cause him to seek forgiveness from God. Talk about hubris. I thought one had to repent in order to be born again. Or does Trump get a mulligan from the pretend Christians for that as well?
Could not agree more. Of course we have proof in extra marital affairs - we know he engaged in one while his newborn baby was home with his WIFE. We know he cheated on Ivanka with Marla. We know he cheated on Marla with Melania.

YET - this is a man who professes he has never needed to ask for forgiveness and the so-called Christians again have to bend like Gumby to make this all square with their 'religious beliefs'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Doesn't redemption require the sinner admit his/her sins?

And WHEN the hell has Trump done anything but brag about his sins?
Trump has never asked for forgiveness so . . how could he have admitted his sins and repented?

Quote:
We've just gone over this.

"Why do I have to repent or ask for forgiveness if I am not making mistakes?" doesn't mean that he denies ever making mistakes in the past. The context implies it's an anterospective commitment. He states: "I try not make mistakes where I have to ask forgiveness".

If he was denying ever making a mistake in the past, he wouldn't admit to repenting in church in the same interview. Otherwise what would be the point? It means that he strives to live a life where he won't need to repent.
This post is an incoherent mess.

Do you really believe a thrice married man with children from 3 different women has 'strived to live a life where he won't need to repent"? This is where you lose people because you are obviously just making excuses.

Have you ever heard Trump on the Howard Stern show telling Stern it's ok to describe his daughter as a 'hot piece of a$$?

Have you ever heard Trump talking about the size of his infant daughter's boobs?

Have you ever heard Trump talking about avoiding STD's being his 'own personal Vietnam"?

Yeah. This is a man who 'strives to life a life where he won't need to repent."

It's no wonder young people are turning away from the Church.

Quote:

If the Donald believes past sins don't require repentance, then statements such as "I try not make mistakes where I have to ask forgiveness", would have no basis or meaning. Nor would he see any need to repenting in church. This is not a difficult idea.
Again - one is reminded of Gumby in the manner in which a 'Christian' must twist himself to make excuses for the corrupt, cheating, DJT.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Yes, but what business is that? It's certainly not the business of saving souls, which is what they pretend their mission is.

Money and power is their god.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
All of this Sturm und Drang over the Evangelical hypocrisy is becoming less and less relevant.

Their support of Trump has show unequivocally that they really do not care about the moral character or integrity of those they support politically, as they only care about their beliefs becoming formal law. In that sense, they are really just another PAC. That's it.

Look at Pence. If the guy had any real principles or belief system (or balls), he would have either resigned or at least expressed his disapproval of Trump's behavior. And it is not just Trump's sexual promiscuity, it is his appalling treatment and lack of respect for other human beings in general. He has no respect for people, period, and he has never apologized ever for his atrocious behavior or treatment of others.

Redemption? That is a joke.

But it really doesn't matter--the Evangelicals have just become another cult-like group with no moral center--simply goals to control the behavior of others. And the next generation of evangelicals will basically disappear.

The younger more honest 'evangelicals' will see that this Trump worship is based on total dishonesty and denial. It actually reminds me of the 60s when the younger generation learned that they'd been fed a load of BS by their parents and the government for years.

"...The number of white evangelical Protestants fell from about 23 percent of the US population in 2006 to 17 percent in 2016, and only 11 percent are under 30, according to a survey of more than 100,000 Americans...."

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...-church-elders

Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
LOL! This thread reminds me of Christ's interrogation in The Gospel According to John (8:1-11):

1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him,
and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her
stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded
us to stone such women. Now what do you say?†6 They were using this questionas a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them,
“Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.†8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.
10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?†11 “No one, sir,†she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,†Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.â€

I had no idea City-Data had so many Pharisees.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Evangelicals weren't concerned before the election?

Hypocrites.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,413 times
Quote:
Respond to post number 78. Show us where he has even once expressed regret or asked forgiveness from the many victims of his past transgressions. He hasn't. Not one single time.

I get it, you love Trump and are willing to give him a free pass on everything, even things you readily condemn others (notably those with a D after their name) for doing. You don't even have to admit it, because everyone reading your posts already knows it.
You really do dig yourself into these, don't you?

Did Donald Trump apologize for the Access Hollywood tape? | PolitiFact

All of your objections on this issue assume that forgiveness is something that you decide and judge as members of the public.

You're justified to criticize him for not apologizing to the public based on the customs of current secular culture. What you can't do, however, is argue the same thing based on Christian ontology, which sees forgiveness as a private matter between him and his Creator.

Well, you can try and scream Christian hypocrisy based on the lack of a public apology, but that would just make you look silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump has never asked for forgiveness so . . how could he have admitted his sins and repented?

Do you really believe a thrice married man with children from 3 different women has 'strived to live a life where he won't need to repent"? This is where you lose people because you are obviously just making excuses.

Have you ever heard Trump on the Howard Stern show telling Stern it's ok to describe his daughter as a 'hot piece of a$$?

Have you ever heard Trump talking about the size of his infant daughter's boobs?

Have you ever heard Trump talking about avoiding STD's being his 'own personal Vietnam"?

Yeah. This is a man who 'strives to life a life where he won't need to repent."

It's no wonder young people are turning away from the Church.

Again - one is reminded of Gumby in the manner in which a 'Christian' must twist himself to make excuses for the corrupt, cheating, DJT.
You've not understood the post you're responding to (nor what "incoherent" means, but that's less important).

"Anterospective", here, means that he is making a pledge to try to live a life free of the need to repent moving forward. It is true that he is unclear on his soteriology in early interviews, but in later discussions he clarifies that he has attended and repented in church. Clearly, there would be no reason for him to do so if he doesn't see any need to repent for past mistakes.

If there's any doubt what he means, there are further interviews where he lays it out more clearly:

"I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won’t have to be asking for much forgiveness."

Old 04-07-2018, 10:58 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I hope NPR keeps this rubbish up, as it will hopefully put them on the (R's) list of liberal/leftist organizations to defund.

`
The article is about Evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies