Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Students don't run Columbia University. The faculty and administration do. Students do not set policy. The professor in this case set the conditions where he used the word "Negros". To nitpick at every term professors use encourages intellectually dishonesty.

If you look at this case along with the screaming and cursing woman at Yale University beware of what it says about affirmative action. Remember that college is just the beginning of learning. Befriending these professors is far wiser than threatening them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:50 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The working world will eat these people up. They are in for a very blunt surprise. Go right ahead,choose "to not engage" your job. Good luck with that. School is not like the working experience.
They will look for a job in Government, Social Work, Education, and Non Profits (where the leadership does profit) that have a similar, indulgent, and permissive environment to a college campus.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They will look for a job in Government, Social Work, Education, and Non Profits (where the leadership does profit) that have a similar, indulgent, and permissive environment to a college campus.
Correct. They'll never make it in the real competitive world. They'll have to live, work, and function in an insular world that is FAR from kind.

What do I mean? Countless "adjunct professors" are victims of the exact same fate. Only the colleges they work for pay them so little that they're on public assistance.

Makes you think, no...?

I'm having a hard time understanding how ANYONE with a PhD can be this stupid:
Quote:
"...she, a white woman with a Ph.D. in medieval history and an adjunct professor, came to rely on food stamps and Medicaid. Ms. Bruninga-Matteau, a 43-year-old single mother who teaches two humanities courses at Yavapai College, in Prescott, Ariz...

This semester she is working 20 hours each week, prepping, teaching, advising, and grading papers for two courses at Yavapai, a community college with campuses in Chino Valley, Clarkdale, Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Sedona. Her take-home pay is $900 a month, of which $750 goes to rent. Each week, she spends $40 on gas to get her to the campus; she lives 43 miles away, where housing is cheaper...

"The media gives us this image that people who are on public assistance are dropouts, on drugs or alcohol, and are irresponsible," she says. "I'm not irresponsible. I'm highly educated. I have a whole lot of skills besides knowing about medieval history, and I've had other jobs. I've never made a lot of money, but I've been able to make enough to live on. Until now."
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Fr...hool-to/131795

That woman IS the very definition of irresponsible. And skills? WHAT skills? She says she's had other jobs but never made a lot of money. That means no/low-skilled.

Even more stupidity ensues if you read the entire article. /SMH

Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I am so tired of one person saying something you don't like and them lump them all together. Nothing is wrong with these kids. They are just like every other generation. What is pathetic is the constant attacks here on them. Just remember these "pathetic kids" will take care of you in your old age. Well that is if they choose to
I was referring to the two students mentioned in the article.

And there is plenty wrong....

Why would these "pathetic kids" be taking care of anyone in their old age (if they "choose to") other than their own family members?

Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The working world will eat these people up. They are in for a very blunt surprise. Go right ahead,choose "to not engage" your job. Good luck with that. School is not like the working experience.
Most jobs fall into the category of “adult daycare.” In my experience, the higher I climbed on the career ladder and the more money I made, the more pointless the “work” I did. I make many times what I made doing that actual work now, to send some emails and change numbers in an excel spreadsheet. Most modern work is a farce.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:54 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Most jobs fall into the category of “adult daycare.” In my experience, the higher I climbed on the career ladder and the more money I made, the more pointless the “work” I did. I make many times what I made doing that actual work now, to send some emails and change numbers in an excel spreadsheet. Most modern work is a farce.
I agree.

It's why we moved the business I co-own into consulting and away from actually "doing" work. Companies, especially larger ones, have no idea how little their higher-ups actually do and for that matter are really engaged in their work.

If they do know they don't care cuz I'm pretty sure I'm talking to the wind when I call/email/facetime these folks. In the end it's not my problem. I get paid either way.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
These students will be attorneys dreams when they get into the workplace and start suing companies because they are offended and have to go on disability.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This chick would freak out if she heard MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.
Imagine if she heard any of Malcolm X's speeches.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
These students will be attorneys dreams when they get into the workplace and start suing companies because they are offended and have to go on disability.
I work with many young college graduates and so far have not seen any evidence of the above.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:07 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I work with many young college graduates and so far have not seen any evidence of the above.
So it isn't translating to the real world... Good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies