Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Who are the parents of these morons?

Quote:
Maria Fernanda Martinez, CC ’18, was one of two nonwhite students in an American studies seminar last year. Her professor told the class that, when studying the 1960s, it was fine to use the word “Negroes” to refer to African Americans, as it was the term used at the time.

Martinez, troubled by these comments, sent her professor an email after class, including links to resources about why using the term is offensive, but said she saw no real change in her professor’s approach to teaching the material.

“I didn’t pay attention in class after that,” said Martinez.
Quote:
However, when asked about the incident, her professor, Todd Gitlin, defended his use of the word.

“It is in fact true, a matter of historical record, that African Americans in the ’50s and ’60s wanted to be called ‘Negroes.’ Denying that practice would be a falsification of history,” Gitlin wrote in an email to Spectator.
Quote:
Sabina Jones, CC ’20, recalled a white professor saying the N-word when reading it in a racially-charged book in an English class. She said this experience made it difficult to engage in class for the rest of the semester.

“It’s hard to continue on, not knowing if you are welcome in a space completely or [if] people have the knowledge to welcome you to a space,” she said. “It creates a roadblock in continuing down the path that you want to continue on.”

These tense interactions, commonly known as microaggressions, occur when comments or actions are—either intentionally or unintentionally—discriminatory or offensive towards people of marginalized identities.
What in the world is wrong with these kids?

You can't reinvent history.

You want it whitewashed? That term (whitewashed) alone is considered a microaggression.... for the emotionally unstable snowflakes taking up spaces in colleges when they should either be in psych wards/living at home and only participating in classes/activities that make them feel good. You know, along with their fellow snowflakes who also can't manage to function in the real world.

My college aged kid will be taking two summer classes (at his college)....both are humanity reqs. One happens to be a film crit/theory class featuring Quentin Tarantino and his weirdness.

The last two sentences of the class description warn that if one can't handle vulgarity/nudity/violence...to avoid taking the class.

That's a class, if one is so easily offended, can avoid.

You can't evade history or reinvent it - just so your snowflake feelers don't get bent out of shape - but since that seems to be the current trend? The upcoming generation already is and will continue to be more than pathetic when they move out of their parents basements.

I tend to think both Martinez & Jones were failing their classes and looking for a way out...they both can't REALLY be THAT stupid & at an Ivy...or can they?

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/ne...the-classroom/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:30 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I always liked Christopher Hitchens response to people saying they were offended: "So f***ing what." These kids need to learn the world doesn't revolve around them or their feelings.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:29 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I always liked Christopher Hitchens response to people saying they were offended: "So f***ing what." These kids need to learn the world doesn't revolve around them or their feelings.
...amen...

Old 04-07-2018, 12:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
This chick would freak out if she heard MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:43 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What in the world is wrong with these kids?
Some of them are in over their heads due to affirmative action. But for the most part I imagine it's the same old problem kids have always had. Studying and paying attention to an old professor's lecture just isn't much fun. It used to be that kids had to weigh the boredom and frustration of doing their work against the shame and disgrace of flunking out. But now there's a third option - call the prof a racist, and assume the role of a victim speaking out against oppression.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Snowflakes. You are in college lady where adults come to exchange ideas and learn and not everything just as in real life needs to be sugar coated.
I wonder if she will use this as an excuse for why she got a bad grade or to get out of taking the class. If she makes a big enough stink about it, the professor will be reprimanded and the college will give her an A to appease her.
When the going gets tough the weak get complaining.

I watched a video the other day where a guy went around to students at George Washington University and asked them if the name should be changed because ol GW owned slaves. The answers were ridiculous but 70% thought it was a good idea.

History is history and instead of white washing it we should learn from it and marvel at how far we have come.

I recently heard an ad on the radio for that new movie "chappaquiddick" which is about the cover up in 1969 when a drunken Ted Kennedy drove his car off a bridge resulting in the death of a female passenger. At the end of the ad like in most movie ads they will say disclaimers such as course language, brief nudity, adult situations etc.. The disclaimer for this one said "Historical Smoking" . UGH it is a movie depicting events from 1969 a time when most people smoked but we now need a disclaimer for that. Double UGH.

Snowflakes.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:31 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I thinks its great!

These are the type of college students my son will be competing against in the job market.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
At the end of the ad like in most movie ads they will say disclaimers such as course language, brief nudity, adult situations etc.. The disclaimer for this one said "Historical Smoking"
No, NO!

Please, please say the ad was in "The Onion"

Old 04-07-2018, 08:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
2 Students -- 2 different situations -- doesn't represent a whole bunch of people -- represents two people in two different situations.

You can choose to focus on 2 people out of many or not.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
These kids need to be shamine gunned, i.e. fast recoil reciprocating use on sham and shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies