Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7grTShNU_BE

This is what neo-liberal policies alongside democrat identity politics, and unfettered criminal/corporate control of a city does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:41 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
The city has been taken over by the GOP Governor. Blame it on the GOP

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7grTShNU_BE

This is what neo-liberal policies alongside democrat identity politics, and unfettered criminal/corporate control of a city does.
Detroit is a unique case.

If what you are implying is true, people should be flocking to places like Oklahoma City and Jacksonville FL (the most right-wing, Trump supporting cities in the country) yet they aren't.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Ok, then where the Hell is Donald Trump ? I thought he was going to fix all of these places, put everyone back to work, fix our infrastructure , instead of tweeting all day about absolute nonsense.

If I were President, my agenda would include putting together a bipartisan effort to make places like Detroit healthy again, but your boy spends all his time thinking up ways to insult others, and then he heads for Mar A Lago.

Change starts at the top, and one very good President summed it up when he said "The buck stops here !". Trump has the work ethic and attention span of a gnat.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
I always love to see the conservatives from New York City, LA, and Seattle come on this forum and belch how miserable Democratic controlled cities are. They always make me laugh, knowing full well none of them are going to be moving to Tulsa or Birmingham or any other other red state, conservative city.

Like all Republicans, they have their hands out and take all they can, and then complain that they don't get more.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The city has been taken over by the GOP Governor. Blame it on the GOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, then where the Hell is Donald Trump ? I thought he was going to fix all of these places, put everyone back to work, fix our infrastructure , instead of tweeting all day about absolute nonsense.
LOL. 75 years of Democrat controlled disaster and Libs want it changed overnight.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:53 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Detroit in Ruins-img_4756.jpg

Old 04-04-2018, 09:06 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I will agree that the downfall of Detroit occured during Democratic control and that liberal policies contributed to its downfall, but how do you explain Detroit’s much worse condition compared to other cities that were Democrat controlled?

The answer is something you might not expect. Detroit actually had one of the highest standards of living of all American cities due to the high-paid blue collar manufacturing jobs. For example, Detroit was a top city in owner-occupied single family homes. Because of this, Detroiters moved outward from downtown at a higher rate than other cities. Residents left behind their small closely-spaced bungalows on garageless, narrow lots and moved out to the suburbs to bigger homes with garages and big back yard.

I’m a Detroter and frequently visit other cities of comparable age and size to Detroit and am surprised to see how many people still live in townhouses and apartment buildings in the older areas. There are no townhouses in Detroit and few apartment building. Even high-rise housing projects were rare and have all been demolished. Because of the prosperity of Detroiters, there was never demand for such housing.

Now that those who could afford to move out have done so, Detroit proper is left with undesirable housing that no one wants to live in. Even many of the black people have moved out.

The good news is that there are areas that are so widely abandoned that the vacant property is being bought out by companies for distribution centers and other commercial development.

But, yes, it is sad to see so many beautiful buildings decay. And Detroit had many of them.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:10 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Detroit is a unique case.
It's just the most extreme case. There have been similar patterns of urban decay in many places, and yes these cities are almost always Democrat controlled, although I agree that this isn't the main reason for their problems.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

If I were President, my agenda would include putting together a bipartisan effort to make places like Detroit healthy again, but your boy spends all his time thinking up ways to insult others, and then he heads for Mar A Lago.

Change starts at the top, and one very good President summed it up when he said "The buck stops here !". Trump has the work ethic and attention span of a gnat.
The Detroit metro area has and will benefit from Trump, but probably not the City of Detroit proper. There is only one car factory in the city proper (GM Poletown plant). The factories moved out to modern facilities out in the suburbs and to other cities and countries. The Poletown plant was built in the 80’s and is an anomaly, the last attempt to breath automobile manufacturing life into an already dying city.

But the greater Detroit area, home to many Trump voters, will definitely see an improvement if as Trump’s policies are implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies