Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 05:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I would go to Don Corleone for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
21 year old dies for no reason and no one going to jail.
Quote:
Those pos should be put to sleep like rabid dogs.

I blame said people who believe that spanking your child is abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 05:34 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Those pos should be put to sleep like rabid dogs.
Well, assuming it can be proven and they were adults at the time. As it is, it is the law in the US that we don't execute minors.

I suspect that this was a plea bargain case and one of the things in plea bargaining is whether or not the DA can prove the case against them. If he can, easily, then it is being lazy.

If he can't or cannot without tremendous effort, then this is the way to nail them.

Given the variety of opinions here, I'd say that a conviction would be difficult, such as convincing a jury that they should nail them.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, what they did wasn't premeditated murder. It was reckless behavior. They didn't set out to kill anyone. They were some idiotic teenagers who through a sandbag off an overpass. They didn't think about what they were doing. This was the work of reckless, thoughtless youths. This is not the work of cold-blooded killers. You put a cold-blooded killer to sleep. You put a gangbanger to sleep. You don't put reckless youths to sleep. This was a case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". It is really bad that someone died because of their recklessness. It is tragic that teen stupidity can result in someone's death. We also need to understand the difference between a cold-blooded killer and stupidity. These teenagers weren't thinking "maybe I shouldn't drop this sandbag. It's heavy and someone could get killed". It likely didn't occur to them. They were looking for amusement. This should be a case of why it's important to think about what you do before you do it. However, it is not a case of cold-blooded monsters. Some bad kids? Yes. Did someone die? Yes. Was this an act of cold-blooded murder? No. It was an act of stupid games = stupid prizes. I would give these teenagers a few years for reckless involuntary manslaughter. This isn't 1st degree murder.

For what it's worth, I do think these persons need to go to prison for what they did. What they did was illegal and they need to do time. I don't think it calls for a life sentence or even 20 years. I do think a suspended sentence is kind of soft.
On the bold, will note that I believe the 13 year old was the one who threw the sandbag. He will be locked up until he is 21.

Also, do you believe that the construction company was also at fault in a way? IMO they were as the location where this occurred is right next to a family public housing development (i.e. the projects). The construction company left a lot of construction debris out that should have been secured IMO based upon the area having lot of children and people in the area. It is literally a block from the projects. It would not surprise me if the family of the deceased received a settlement from the construction company due to their liability/negligence.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Even though they all are not going to jail, I would bet the family, friends of the person they killed are going to make sure their lives are ruined as much as they can, monitoring them, informing places they apply for jobs at, new friends, etc. making sure everyone knows what they did.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, will note that I believe the 13 year old was the one who threw the sandbag. He will be locked up until he is 21.

Also, do you believe that the construction company was also at fault in a way? IMO they were as the location where this occurred is right next to a family public housing development (i.e. the projects). The construction company left a lot of construction debris out that should have been secured IMO based upon the area having lot of children and people in the area. It is literally a block from the projects. It would not surprise me if the family of the deceased received a settlement from the construction company due to their liability/negligence.

Interesting. You believe the construction company is partially to blame ? SHM...

Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Somebody is killed and these kids will do a year or two in juvie? That's unacceptable.

I know it's a delicate situation as one of the kids was as young as 13 when committing the crime. But if I'm the father of that 21 year-old killed and some punk teenager does a few years in juvenile detention and then goes on to live a happy life shortly afterwards, I am not okay with that.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. You believe the construction company is partially to blame ? SHM...

it's called an "Attractive nuisance".

Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Quote:
that mean ol' construction company practically put the sandbag in the poor little tyke's hand and forced him to do it.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that mean ol' construction company practically put the sandbag in the poor little tyke's hand and forced him to do it.
I don't think the construction company is mean, but it is negligence to leave out materials on an overpass that could potentially be thrown from said overpass and kill someone.

It is not uncalled for for construction companies to be sued over stuff like this. I used to be a project manager for construction projects and oversaw lots of employees for the company I worked for along with contractors and subcontractors who worked on construction projects for my company. Par of my job was to insure that the construction site was secured at the close of business. This company was negligent in insuring the above and they are partially to blame. I did work in very close proximity to public housing complexes and residential neighborhoods and leaving out stuff like this causes either potential theft or damage of property or threat to lives when you don't secure it properly. You may be one to like to leave a mess and valuable equipment/material around and think people, especially kids, won't touch it, but IMO that is naive. Theft was more of a concern versus people getting killed but someone can always be harmed from construction material left out in the open.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:

See above post. You may think leaving dangerous material out on the street isn't a big deal but I'm not one of those people.

Also note that since this occurred that construction company has been replaced and the new one doesn't leave stuff out overnight on the bridge/overpass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies