Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My personal view is not tied to what states believe.

Also, as I noted earlier SCOTUS recently had a decision made that states that sentencing young teens to life in prison can be considered as "cruel and unusual punishment" something that is not supported by the actual constitution.

Federal trumps state laws. Many states are a$$backwards on considering the circumstances of children who commit crime and base their laws on the mob-ish nature/mindsets of adults within their borders.
well, I don't think the sentencing is really that bad, actually. I am not disagreeing with you 100%

I am just surprised that you keep on saying "all teens do stupid things" as if dropping very heavy object to total strangers is just impulsive normal/common teen behavior.

I am pointing it out to you that there are fundamental differences between normal teen behaviors and abnormal teen behaviors.

Earlier, you also blamed the construction company, I found it quite odd.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-10-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, some states consider 14 to be old enough to try a teenager as adult. There is a reason for that.
The reason is they refuse to accept the fact that children are not adults. That's it.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The reason is they refuse to accept the fact that children are not adults. That's it.
No, That is not it.

Some states have "automatic transfer" laws that require juvenile cases to be transferred to adult criminal court if both of the following are true. The offender is a certain age or older (usually 16, sometimes, younger like 14). The charges involve a serious or violent offense, such as rape or murder.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Good thing they weren’t at the range firing an assault rifle.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/ohio-teens...opstories.html
Need sandbag control.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
well, I don't think the sentencing is really that bad, actually. I am not disagreeing with you 100%

I am just surprised that you keep on saying "all teens do stupid things" as if what these teen did is just impulsive teen behavior.

I am pointing it out at you that there are fundamental differences between normal teen behaviors and abnormal teen behaviors.

Earlier, you also blamed the construction company, I found it quite odd.

I specifically stated that I didn't blame the construction company. I only pointed out that it was negligent of them to leave those sandbags and other material out there. Note they also left some heavy equipment out there and lots of rocks/debris. I am very familiar with the area. The construction caused a lot of headaches for my commute.

I stated as a construction project manager, it is the responsible thing to do for a company to clean up the construction site when they stop work. It is something that was a part of my job to do when I did a similar job. Again, note the construction site manager is an adult - I expect adults to be responsible.

I also stated that ODOT or the state should have had a fence on that overpass. I also stated that hte parents of these boys were negligent in supervising their children. Me stating all of these doesn't mean I "blame" either one, only that if they had occurred this tragedy would be prevented.

I expect teenagers to do dumb things. And contrary to what you believe throwing random objects is normal teen behavior. They dare each other, egg each other on and do stupid things and sometimes that includes throwing stuff at someone or off of a building.

This past summer some teens went into an abandoned building and one fell down an elevator shaft and was killed - kids explore - that is normal teenage behavior.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a male cousin of mine who lived with us (I consider him my 5th brother) put alcohol all over his hands and asked one of my brothers to dare him to light his hands on fire. I told him how stupid that was, but he did it anyway. Luckily he wasn't burned to death or didn't burn up our house. My oldest brother used to use Lysol and a lighter and make fire torches by spraying the Lysol on the flame and act like he was some sort of super hero or villain in order to get laughs from my other brothers/cousins and his friends. A good friend of my brother used to jump off roofs whenever people dared him to do so.

I could go on and on. All of these things were potentially life threatening to those of us in the vicinity but none of it was based on them being evil or intending malicious harm. Same as you "baby-proof" a house people need to be aware of things that kids can use to do dumb kid things.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
No, That is not it.

Some states have "automatic transfer" laws that require juvenile cases to be transferred to adult criminal court if both of the following are true. The offender is a certain age or older (usually 16, sometimes, younger like 14). The charges involve a serious or violent offense, such as rape or murder.
That doesn't negate what I said. It is the choice of the adults to ignore the fact that children are not adults.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I expect teenagers to do dumb things. And contrary to what you believe throwing random objects is normal teen behavior. They dare each other, egg each other on and do stupid things and sometimes that includes throwing stuff at someone or off of a building.

This past summer some teens went into an abandoned building and one fell down an elevator shaft and was killed - kids explore - that is normal teenage behavior.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a male cousin of mine who lived with us (I consider him my 5th brother) put alcohol all over his hands and asked one of my brothers to dare him to light his hands on fire. I told him how stupid that was, but he did it anyway. Luckily he wasn't burned to death or didn't burn up our house. My oldest brother used to use Lysol and a lighter and make fire torches by spraying the Lysol on the flame and act like he was some sort of super hero or villain in order to get laughs from my other brothers/cousins and his friends. A good friend of my brother used to jump off roofs whenever people dared him to do so.

I could go on and on. All of these things were potentially life threatening to those of us in the vicinity but none of it was based on them being evil or intending malicious harm. Same as you "baby-proof" a house people need to be aware of things that kids can use to do dumb kid things.
well, So let this be a lesson to all you teenagers: You can murder an innocent stranger for the fun of it and get off with just a slap on the wrist!

No wonder this keeps happening.

Got it1

Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
That doesn't negate what I said. It is the choice of the adults to ignore the fact that children are not adults.
You also ignore the fact that some children are beyond help.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:55 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Good friend was a grunt in Vietnam. A sniper pinned his company down after wounding a soldier. They luckily spotted him in a tree before he could kill one of them,and they killed him. upon checking his papers they discovered he was 12 years old. Had a Chinese snipers rifle with a scope. If you act like an adult you should be treated as one..............

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
W

And honestly, I wouldn't shoot at a 6 year old. I'd not be able to live with myself for killing a little kid purposefully. That is just me. I'm also not afraid of death. If I was killed today or died, it would just be and I have lived a great life.
So if the 6 year old with an AK 47 shooting at your husband and your children, will you return fire?

In term of the above, well, we will have to take your words for it then.

I honestly believe no one really knows what they would do in circumstances like that. So saying "this is something I would do" or "this is something I wouldn't do" is kind of premature. Unless you are in the situation, you just won't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies