Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:50 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

The title of the article maybe a little misleading, the author is a hunter and gun owner and had was robbed in the school yard when he was a 14 year old. A hunter and owner of a variety of guns, travels everywhere with a gun but interesting perspective on where we are today.

The article goes in a number of different directions, the text below does not capture the points/

Quote:
None of them see a connection between the weapons they own and the shootings at Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, Aurora, Orlando, Las Vegas, Parkland. They see mug shots of James Holmes, Omar Mateen, Stephen Paddock, Nikolas Cruz — “crazier than a ****house rat,” they say. “If it hadn’t been that rifle, he’d have done it with something else.” They fear that what starts as an assault-weapons ban will snowball into an attack on everything in the safe. I don’t believe that politicians are going to ban ordinary guns or overturn the Second Amendment, but I understand their reasoning because I understand what’s at stake. I think about that boy picking up that AR in Cabela’s, and I’m torn between the culture I grew up with and how that culture has devolved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/m...as-become.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:55 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Too much common sense here for a lot of people to even admit he exists.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
As much as this guy has been around guns, he should understand that a ban of so-called 'assault weapons' (again, in truth there ain't no such thing as assault weapons) would not be effective. We banned full auto guns, and now they are rarely used for slaughters. But semi autos are used instead. If we ban semi-autos, punp and lever actions will be used instead. Ban those, and revolvers will be used instead.

If we're going to try to solve our problems via bans, let's be intellectually honest and go for a total, Japan-style ban, where not even single-shot guns are allowed.

Warning to others--the piece is very long. I had to skip over many of his pointless stories from his youth, (but then I see he's a novelist). But more words does not equal a better argument.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:58 PM

I found it interesting that he was robbed in the school yard at the age of 14 in the school yard with a gun to his head, pre-columbine. It had an impact on him for life which I can understand, also his views on the changes that have take place in the last 20 years.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Gun Culture Is My Culture. And I Fear for What It Has Become.
Simple, leave the collective and become an individual.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Let's quit overlooking the fact that many are openly calling for a complete ban and others are still using that sneaky "Aussie" or "UK model...which is nothing more than a sly way of saying total ban.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I found it interesting that he was robbed in the school yard at the age of 14 in the school yard with a gun to his head, pre-columbine. It had an impact on him for life which I can understand, also his views on the changes that have take place in the last 20 years.
so he reacts like a little girl when he sees a scary black rifle. i was robbed at gun point, and yet i still am solid supporter of the second amendment.

true gun control is how many you get in the ten ring. so what we really need is criminal control. lock them up for long periods of time, and stop with the "you get a twelve year sentence, so all you need to do behind bars is five years, then seven years on probation" crap. sentence them to twelve years and leave them there for the full twelve years. we have to stop being soft on crime people.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so he reacts like a little girl when he sees a scary black rifle. i was robbed at gun point, and yet i still am solid supporter of the second amendment.

true gun control is how many you get in the ten ring. so what we really need is criminal control. lock them up for long periods of time, and stop with the "you get a twelve year sentence, so all you need to do behind bars is five years, then seven years on probation" crap. sentence them to twelve years and leave them there for the full twelve years. we have to stop being soft on crime people.
Why the derogatory comments it seems he presented both sides of the discussion. We also lead the league in incarceration if that was a solution we wouldn’t have a problem.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Let's quit overlooking the fact that many are openly calling for a complete ban and others are still using that sneaky "Aussie" or "UK model...which is nothing more than a sly way of saying total ban.
In what way was the Australian model a total ban? There are more firearms in private hands in Australia now than there were in 1996. The only thing that changed is the types of guns they own.

Put another way, if they had had a Second Amendment, it would still be intact.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Interesting article. It's unusual to find anyone who is willing to admit to such conflicted emotions about almost anything these days. I found that degree of honesty very refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies