Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:28 PM

764 posts, read 232,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) I served in the US Navy, SUBRON8, SUBLANT for a decade. Do some submarining on a fast attack submarine for 290 days a year for 5 years, or serve in a hostile forward area inside a combat theater for a few years, or any other duty where dropping dead is a legit possibility in every work day...and then you have the ability to question my service or that of any other veteran. Until then, don't make assumptions because of my ideology or philosophy.

2) Service in the military is part of what gives me my realistic appraisal that my own government poses the greatest threat to my liberty.

3) I passed every fitness, intelligence and background check required to be in the special forces. Once aviation, submarines or several other special duties have their hooks in you though, you cannot get out without much difficulty. At one point, I fancied making the attempt at special forces, and the career counselor told me my chances were exactly 0%, no matter how I scored. Already had dolphins, never going to do anything else.

4) I am a voluntaryist libertarian (re: pure philosophical version of libertarianism) who considers my vote to be my consent to be governed by that person. As such, neither Trump nor Clinton was worthy of that consent, so neither received it.

5) I am not terrified of the government, but I can recognize them as the greatest threat to liberty, and have as much personal protection against that threat as the law allows. I am not terrified of much, but I have all manner of insurance because bad things can and will happen. That's life. History shows that the best insurance the citizen can possess as insurance against tyrannical government is arms that are the equal of that government's foot soldiers. Right now, my "arsenal" is locked in a safe and only comes out to put holes in paper and the occasional white tail deer. Beyond that, it sits in that safe and serves as insurance policy against those who would attempt to initiate deadly force against me. Nothing terrifying about that, just simple acquisition of tools for certain jobs.
Logged in just to thank and rep you..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 PM

13,767 posts, read 5,493,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Logged in just to thank and rep you..................
Appreciate it, but no thanks necessary. And I mean that in a pleasant way.

The American people thanked me twice a month for ten years by paying me the agreed upon wage in exchange for my service. And people were nice to me on airplanes, at restaurants, etc if I was in uniform.

But having some anonymous jerkweed assume that because I am a libertarian who understands the tyrannical nature of all government, I did not nor could not serve in the military...yeah, that is a bit infuriating, so I responded with stuff I hardly ever say publicly. I don't trumpet my service because of exactly what I said. I did a job, I got paid, whatever, next subject. But don't assume I cannot nor will not do said job that I did faithfully for ten freaking years just because you disagree with my philosophy on government.

Veterans who share my dim view of government came by that philosophy via direct, sometimes godawful experience within that government. Plenty of combat vets share my personal distaste for government and see them for what they are. Knuckleheads who think military service is automagic "rah rah US, ye can ne'er do wrong" brainwashing are ignorant morons. Veterans come in as many ideological and philosophical flavors as the the general populace they serve(d) do.

Thanks again for the appreciation.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,795,169 times
Quote:
1) I served in the US Navy, SUBRON8, SUBLANT for a decade. Do some submarining on a fast attack submarine for 290 days a year for 5 years, or serve in a hostile forward area inside a combat theater for a few years, or any other duty where dropping dead is a legit possibility in every work day...and then you have the ability to question my service or that of any other veteran. Until then, don't make assumptions because of my ideology or philosophy.

2) Service in the military is part of what gives me my realistic appraisal that my own government poses the greatest threat to my liberty.

3) I passed every fitness, intelligence and background check required to be in the special forces. Once aviation, submarines or several other special duties have their hooks in you though, you cannot get out without much difficulty. At one point, I fancied making the attempt at special forces, and the career counselor told me my chances were exactly 0%, no matter how I scored. Already had dolphins, never going to do anything else.

4) I am a voluntaryist libertarian (re: pure philosophical version of libertarianism) who considers my vote to be my consent to be governed by that person. As such, neither Trump nor Clinton was worthy of that consent, so neither received it.

5) I am not terrified of the government, but I can recognize them as the greatest threat to liberty, and have as much personal protection against that threat as the law allows. I am not terrified of much, but I have all manner of insurance because bad things can and will happen. That's life. History shows that the best insurance the citizen can possess as insurance against tyrannical government is arms that are the equal of that government's foot soldiers. Right now, my "arsenal" is locked in a safe and only comes out to put holes in paper and the occasional white tail deer. Beyond that, it sits in that safe and serves as insurance policy against those who would attempt to initiate deadly force against me. Nothing terrifying about that, just simple acquisition of tools for certain jobs.
Thanks for the reply. I never question the service of any veteran, or, for that matter, their stance on guns. I'm not sure where you picked up on any disrespect for soldiers/veterans in my post.

It should be obvious that I question the tough talk of many gun rights activists, like Ted Nugent, who proudly call themselves "patriots" (as opposed, I assume, to those of us who believe in some form of gun control. We're "traitors") and who claim to be concerned about defense and upholding the Constitution, blah, blah, blah -- but who've never served a day of service in the military. In fact, they jumped ship when their country needed them most. But they're out there, on their soapboxes, preaching what it is to be a "real" Americans. These are the armchair warriors I talk about in my posts.

Real soldiers and veterans I have the utmost respect for. But I don't have an ounce of respect for armchair warriors like Ted Nugent, and I make no apology for that. You know as well as I that there are many of them around. They might not bother you, and you're a better person than I if they don't, but they get on my wick.

Oh, and I'm not a "knucklehead who think military service is automagic "rah rah US, ye can ne'er do wrong" brainwashing"; I'm not an ignorant moron." Far, far from it. I'm very anti-war, and though I respect the sacrifice and courage of servicemen and women, I'm not pro-military, per se. Moreover, don't get me started on what I think of the US government and its foreign policy.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-11-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,130,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Making statements like this shows that he is mentally unbalanced and dangerous to the public. Anyone making these sorts of threats should be taken quite seriously by law enforcement, and he needs to be committed for a mental health evaluation at the very least. He could easily be the next Nikolas Cruz waiting to snap.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/07/polit...tes/index.html
I am one of his kind and not only do I have an arsenal, I also sell machineguns legally.

What are or can you do about that?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,463,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am one of his kind and not only do I have an arsenal, I also sell machineguns legally.

What are or can you do about that?
Sit back wallow in envy.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM

13,767 posts, read 5,493,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Thanks for the reply. I never question the service of any veteran, or, for that matter, their stance on guns. I'm not sure where you picked up on any disrespect for soldiers/veterans in my post.

It should be obvious that I question the tough talk of many gun rights activists, like Ted Nugent, who proudly call themselves "patriots" (as opposed, I assume, to those of us who believe in some form of gun control. We're "traitors") and who claim to be concerned about defense and upholding the Constitution, blah, blah, blah -- but who've never served a day of service in the military. In fact, they jumped ship when their country needed them most. But they're out there, on their soapboxes, preaching what it is to be a "real" Americans. These are the armchair warriors I talk about in my posts.

Real soldiers and veterans I have the utmost respect for. But I don't have an ounce of respect for armchair warriors like Ted Nugent, and I make no apology for that. You know as well as I that there are many of them around. They might not bother you, and you're a better person than I if they don't, but they get on my wick.

Oh, and I'm not a "knucklehead who think military service is automagic "rah rah US, ye can ne'er do wrong" brainwashing"; I'm not an ignorant moron." Far, far from it. I'm very anti-war, and though I respect the sacrifice and courage of servicemen and women, I'm not pro-military, per se. Moreover, don't get me started on what I think of the US government and its foreign policy.
Nice try on walking it back, but you attacked me directly. Go look at the post of yours that I quoted. You tell me to go put on a uniform, that I wouldn't/couldn't serve this country, etc. You came directly at me. I responded by clearing up your assumptions about me.

And whether someone served or did not does not alter their natural rights to free speech, free expression, KBA, etc. I'll agree or disagree with Ted Nugent on the basis of his argument, not his personal resume and ad hominem bona fides. Case in point - I disagree with his stance of initiating force, even though I largely agree with his overall stance on keeping and bearing arms. Even joking, I don't have much tolerance for anyone advocating initiation of force against others. His personal background wouldn't change that were he a medal of honor recipient instead of rock star.

I also don't think military service is required as some prereq of patriotism. Following the Non-aggression Principle, upholding natural law, not burdening or otherwise obligating your fellow man, and generally being a productive, useful member of society is as patriotic as it gets. Military service is simply one way to be productive and useful.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 AM

764 posts, read 232,346 times
Quote:
Nice try on walking it back, but you attacked me directly. Go look at the post of yours that I quoted. You tell me to go put on a uniform, that I wouldn't/couldn't serve this country, etc. You came directly at me. I responded by clearing up your assumptions about me.

And whether someone served or did not does not alter their natural rights to free speech, free expression, KBA, etc. I'll agree or disagree with Ted Nugent on the basis of his argument, not his personal resume and ad hominem bona fides. Case in point - I disagree with his stance of initiating force, even though I largely agree with his overall stance on keeping and bearing arms. Even joking, I don't have much tolerance for anyone advocating initiation of force against others. His personal background wouldn't change that were he a medal of honor recipient instead of rock star.

I also don't think military service is required as some prereq of patriotism. Following the Non-aggression Principle, upholding natural law, not burdening or otherwise obligating your fellow man, and generally being a productive, useful member of society is as patriotic as it gets. Military service is simply one way to be productive and useful.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Volobjectitarian again.

Please move to Florida and run for office.....

Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,463,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Volobjectitarian again.

Please move to Florida and run for office.....
I got the same message...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies