Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,044,019 times

Advertisements

Also I remember Bender being a jerk to trying. Why is she singling our her character?

Saying it’s a “product of its time” shows how bad it is now. We have to walk on egg shells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM

18,986 posts, read 8,991,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Never heard of it
You probably aren't the target audience.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:08 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,044,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
She didn't throw him under the bus. You didn't read the article did you?

It is a long but worthy read.

I think it is indicative of how the #metoo movement has impacted how we see the world.

Many of the behaviors she talks about not noticing or really registering at the time as being inappropriate, were common behaviors. WE -- men and women -- feminists, chauvinists, and folks who wouldn't identify with either -- were so use to that kind of stuff it didn't even register.

The #metoo movement had me reflect on how often in the work place, men were inappropriate. I started working in an office at 17 and it was just part of the office environment (I'm sure it wasn't just offices). I didn't object, react, quit, because it was just so much a part of the world.

Now -- this #metoo movement we all look back and realize just how pervasive some of these behaviors were in our society.

We are at a turning point and this kind of article isn't mean to slam John Hughes but to show how it was so ingrained in our lifestyles we didn't even see it.

From why I’ve seen, a man talking to a woman the same way he would do anyone else is now sexual harassment

Old 04-08-2018, 11:17 AM

18,986 posts, read 8,991,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
From why I’ve seen, a man talking to a woman the same way he would do anyone else is now sexual harassment
If you seriously believe this I suggest you tread lightly in your workplace or you could find yourself in trouble.

But women understand completely what the poster you were responding to is talking about, because we have experienced it throughout our lives. If you are not a woman, and you are not willing to be open minded and attempt to put yourself on the other side of the kinds of comments and behaviors we have had to put up with for years, then no, you will never get it. To absolutely no one's surprise.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
If women stopped spreading their legs for bad boys you would see their behavior change quick .

Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 AM

776 posts, read 389,957 times
I thought Bender was supposed to be a "bad boy".

Old 04-08-2018, 11:40 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,044,733 times
Question, did Molly speak out about the physical abuse that the character Andy in the movie dished out to some small innocent kid in the locker room?

Is what Bender did worse than the physical abuse that the character Andy admitted to in the movie?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,222,569 times
Why did she only single out Bender's treatment of Claire?

Bender tried to bully both Andrew and Brian.

I thought bullying was wrong too? Isn't this a bit sexist on Ringwald's part?

Well, that's assuming that we are allowed to assume that Claire was a chick and Andrew & Brian were boys.

Virtue signaling is so confusing.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:45 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,222,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Question, did Molly speak out about the physical abuse that the character Andy in the movie dished out to some small innocent kid in the locker room?

Is what Bender did worse than the physical abuse that the character Andy admitted to in the movie?
Posted at the same time but yes...there's another example.

Larry (Andrew's victim) is physically assaulted and no outcry from Ringwald.

Is it ok because Larry's presumably a boy (remember, not allowed to assume genders)?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:59 AM

18,417 posts, read 15,116,676 times
The whole damn point of the movie is that deep down, people are more than the outward appearance they portray to the world.

Quote:
You see us as you want to see us: In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal.
Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.
Besides, it’s a movie. We watch movies about cannibals, hookers, and other people a lot worse than Bender. It’s not like movies promote the behavior of the characters. There are people like Bender out there, so are we supposed to pretend they dont exist? She needs to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies