Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times

Advertisements

Promising, hopeful, better than nothing but not time for festivities celebrating great accomplishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,783 posts, read 6,060,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Just for the heck of it, here is an excellent website detailing the diplomacy efforts between the USA and NK:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Looking through this chronology, one can readily see that dealing with North Korea has been, at least, 'difficult'. While I am hopeful that President Trump can get some lasting good out of this summit, I hope that he is aware of our history with North Korea.
He probably has access to a lot that had been attempted behind the scenes in the past, that we don't know anything about.

Trust but Verify.
Seek Peace but be ready for war.

7,489 posts, read 4,920,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just so I'm clear- WHO GOT WHAT:

North Korea/Kim got world recognition (something NK has been yearning for for decades), and a promise of no more joint US/SK military exercises in South Korea.

Donald Trump got a bunch of press and was able to say he "trusts" Kim.

United States got nothing.

Is that right? If not, what did I miss?
That's what it sounds like. Trump promises to terminate USA funds for military exercises in S Korea (Trump's goal), and S Korea is left undefended (N Korea's goal)

Trump thinks he's a step closer to the the coveted Nobel Peace Prize.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,155,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Just for the heck of it, here is an excellent website detailing the diplomacy efforts between the USA and NK:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Looking through this chronology, one can readily see that dealing with North Korea has been, at least, 'difficult'. While I am hopeful that President Trump can get some lasting good out of this summit, I hope that he is aware of our history with North Korea.
That is very diplomatic with you, but the odds are quite high that he has no idea at all.

Like you, I hope that any such meeting brings the desired results, but I really doubt we will see it here.

16,418 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just so I'm clear- WHO GOT WHAT:

North Korea/Kim got world recognition (something NK has been yearning for for decades), and a promise of no more joint US/SK military exercises in South Korea.

Donald Trump got a bunch of press and was able to say he "trusts" Kim.

United States got nothing.

Is that right? If not, what did I miss?

What we want is a denuclearized Korean Peninsula. Assuming that this goal is attainable -- and this is not at all certain at this time -- I see two ways we can obtain it:

1. Impose our will by force upon North Korea.
2. Negotiate a settlement in which we get what we want in return for giving North Korea something that it wants.

Kim wanted world recognition and he got it. He also wants a security guarantee, and we've promised to give him one. So far what we've gotten in return is a halt to missile testing and a promise to denuclearize, and an agreement to continue meeting.

If the process ends here, we've been rolled. But if it continues . . . it may well result in the peaceful attainment of our goal.

You liberals were all gung-ho on "strategic patience" when Obama used it as a code word for "do nothing." So now that real progress appears to be possible, where's your patience?

11,404 posts, read 4,065,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Come now... there was a document! And ice cream!
I heard Kim got three scoops!

39,020 posts, read 51,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
He probably has access to a lot that had been attempted behind the scenes in the past, that we don't know anything about.

Trust but Verify.
Seek Peace but be ready for war.
Yeah, we gave some of that up in the agreement.

30,019 posts, read 11,606,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
They've loved war for awhile now.

President Obama, who hoped to sow peace, instead led the nation in war - Los Angeles Times
President Barack Obama's Legacy Is Endless War | Time
WASHINGTON — President Obama came into office seven years ago pledging to end the wars of his predecessor, George W. Bush. On May 6, with eight months left before he vacates the White House, Mr. Obama passed a somber, little-noticed milestone: He has now been at war longer than Mr. Bush, or any other American president.https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/u...nd-troops.html

FYI: It's always opposite day.
If you want to get technical we never signed the peace treaty in 1953 in regards to the Korean war so we are still at war with N. Korea. So all presidents have been at war the entire time.

Regarding Obama and Bush 2. I thought they were both horrible presidents but Bush 2 started the wars and Obama failed to fully pull us out. So just to say Obama was more of a war hawk than Bush simply by saying he was at war longer is not true. Bush 2 caused a lot more damage in the middle east due to his actions than Obama did due to his inactions.

Obama wanted to be a dove but apparently was talked out of it. Not a strong leader.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,155,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I guess insulting and betraying your own countrymen is more worthy of the Nobel because that is why your guy received one.,
I don't have a "guy" and neither should you. This isn't sports.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 AM

30,019 posts, read 11,606,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
After decades of sacrifice to get nukes, what are the odds they are going to give them up for a Trump promise?

A little better than the odds if Trump goes back to threatening Kim via Twitter.

I will take something over nothing at this point. It is a start but nothing more yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies