Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
huh? why?

he was born in london, you do realize?
I don’t care where he was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Now Knives are considered "Weapons of war". Sounds like Hillary talking.

How hard will it be to sharpen a piece of metal or use an ice pick?
Don't worry, as the UK has that covered as well. I was recently reading over in the UK forum a thread about how an older guy was being robbed & attacked by two younger men. I do not recall all the specifics as I just scanned the thread, but he grabbed a knife or screwdriver (or should I say "assault screwdriver") to defend himself, and one of the attackers perished. Yet unbelievably, the man who defended himself was charged with manslaughter or even murder.

You can find the thread over in the UK section;

//www.city-data.com/forum/united-kingdom/

I wonder if knitting needles will be on the confiscation list next, or considered deadly weapons which must be regulated.
Remember, if only one life can be saved (even that of a scumbag), giving up your freedoms and ability to protect yourself is worth it.

`

Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don’t care where he was born.
that doesn't answer why you think he shouldn't be in the UK

is it his skin color? his name?

Last edited by le roi; 04-09-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because he shouldn’t even be in the country.
Boris Johnson was the last elected Mayor, but left to go back in to Parliament and was appointed Foreign Secretary.

Johnson's Great Grandfather Ali Kemal left Turkey for England, and Johnson who was actually born in New York City still has Muslim cousins in Turkey.

Should Johnson or indeed his ancestors be allowed in the country.

Knives were synonymous with gangs in Britain in the past, right from the days of Dickensian Victorian Britain through to the the knife and razor gangs included the racecourse gangs of Graham Greene's 'Brighton Rock' as well as notorious razor gangs like the Peaky Blinders in Birmingham. Indeed most cities had these type of gangs, and bombed out post war London and industrial cities saw high levels of violence in the past. Flick knives were prevalent with Teddy Boys in the 50's and later Mods and Rockers in the 1960's, whilst the rise of football hooliganism is the 1970's saw the capert knife aka as the stanley knife come in to vogue as the weapon of choice.
Knives in British cities are not some new phenomenon, indeed if anything violence as a whole was far more accepted in the past than it is today.

Furthermore London has been multicultural for a long time and has attracted immigrants throughout it's history just like NYC, and the vast majority of these people are hard working and decent people who just want to do well and want the best for their families and the wider community. The current violence will evetually stabilise, the gangs will be targeted by the police like they were in the past, and the media will then have to find some new sensationalist story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Here is one example. "Before the war" is often cited as the current golden age when people may have been poor but they didn't thieve and the public was orderly. Sir Robert Mark, Met commissioner and first media superstar cop, in his 1978 autobiography inadvertently reveals another picture of the rough and tumble of street life for a Manchester beat constable in the late 1930s. He writes cheerily of "the odd brawl and punch-up" when patrolling the city centre at weekends in strength "because drunks frequently started fights and a good time was had by all".

Jovially he recounts a "funny" story: "One Friday night an enormous navvy pushed the head of a constable through a shop window and started quite a battle in which uniformed and plain clothes men cheerfully joined in ... it grew to quite serious proportions, stopping the traffic ... the crowd was jeering and becoming unpleasantly restive." So what did he do? He took out his illegal rubber truncheon and gave the offender "a hefty whack on the shin", which broke his leg.

In court the prisoner with his leg in plaster was fined "the customary 10 shillings" for this routine Saturday night fight. But Mark's point is: "Far from there being any hard feelings he greeted me cheerfully and we went off for a drink together. Nowadays, of course, it would mean a complaint, an enquiry, papers to the director of public prosecutions. Not that I didn't deserve it, but times were different, thank goodness."

His nostalgia is for no-nonsense, no-bureaucracy policing, but what he reveals in passing is a world where drunken riot was frequent, and sensibility about what crime is serious was very different. If a villain put a policeman's head through a window now it would be a major crime with a long sentence, not a bit of a laugh and a small fine.

Polly Toynbee: Scared witless | UK news | The Guardian

Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
African immigrants. Wonder what Thier excuse is?
White racism. White supremacy.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Don't worry, as the UK has that covered as well. I was recently reading over in the UK forum a thread about how an older guy was being robbed & attacked by two younger men. I do not recall all the specifics as I just scanned the thread, but he grabbed a knife or screwdriver (or should I say "assault screwdriver") to defend himself, and one of the attackers perished. Yet unbelievably, the man who defended himself was charged with manslaughter or even murder.

You can find the thread over in the UK section;

//www.city-data.com/forum/united-kingdom/

I wonder if knitting needles will be on the confiscation list next, or considered deadly weapons which must be regulated.
Remember, if only one life can be saved (even that of a scumbag), giving up your freedoms and ability to protect yourself is worth it.

`
He's since been freed with no charges laid, but don't let that ruin a good meme rant.

He spent waaaaaaay less time in jail than either of these two:

Second teen spends months in jail for video g | The Daily Caller

So, in comparison; wouldn't you agree a life lost warrants a thorough investigation and a justice related outcome versus two kids going to jail for months over "keyboard antics" where no one was physically harmed?

I'm genuinely curious as to which examples you feel display a greater respect for justice in conjunction with the sanctity of human life and liberty.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You are 18 times more likely to get murdered in the US compared to the UK (that's an incredibly eye watering EIGHTEEN TIMES), we like it that way thanks, looks like you are happy having 3rd world gun crime too? So everybody is happy.
There are an estimated 300,000,000 guns in the US and an annual rate of 8,500 murders commited with guns.

300,000,000 : 8,500

One could infer from this that the admittedly terrible murder rate in the US has little to do with the availability of guns.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Default London to crack down on knives!

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...bbing-epidemic. According to that link: "Last week, TheBlaze reported the number of murders in London, a traditionally safe city, surpassed the number of murders in New York City in February and March for the first time in modern history." It then went on to state: "The murders were mostly carried out in stabbing attacks with knives.".

So they plan on deploying 300 more police and by their laws they can stop and search anybody they suspect of carrying an illegal knife.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Most brits already eat with spoons or they have corks on their forks.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Sporks for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies