Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:30 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So if money is involved, it makes it empowering. If money is not involved, #metoo, cue the virtue signaling and lawsuits.
That's stupid, and you should feel bad. It's about consent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not sure why sex workers' rights are women's rights.

This said, yes, they should be protected and not be abused. But their rights are women's rights? how so?

I also agree with newtovenice.
Because it’s nobody’s damn business how a consenting adult, men or women, use their own body as long as they are not harming others.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
I am thinking rationally. It isn't empowering. It's demeaning. It's saying, hey I want to buy your vagina for awhile. And then in the next breath turnaround and tell girls #metoo, you are MORE than YOUR VAGINA. Unless you want to sell it. So if you can get someone to pay for it, well it's not demeaning at all.

So if money is involved, it makes it empowering. If money is not involved, #metoo, cue the virtue signaling and lawsuits.

So which is it?
Capitalism is the most empowering thing ever devised by mankind. It raises people out of poverty and gives them autonomy over their lives.

Quote:
A husband is not paying for sex. The husband and wife have an agreement via voluntary monogamous sex.
You're kidding, right? How much did homeboy have to pay for the ring? How much did he have to spend on dates while he was dating her, especially since it is common knowledge that sex stops after a few years of marriage for most couples?

Quote:
And yes the customer gets what he is buying. So in that moment, no, you do NOT own your body. The other person is rendering services FROM you. Via your body parts. Pretty logical to me, no emotion involved.
If I own a restaurant, the people who are dining there do NOT own it at that moment. They were invited consensually.

Quote:
Would you encourage 12 year olds to get into this line of work? Suggest books they can read about it, videos they can watch and then explain it to them?
12 year-olds can't give consent.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is all based on emotion because you hold sexuality to a different standard. .... its ok.. nothing wrong with that. but that's not a standard that is shared by everyone. Again, when you work for someone or do a service for someone, you aren't owned by that person. Repeating it doesn't make it any more correct.

Labor laws prevent indentured even willing indentured servitude. Legally it falls under many state's "At Will" employment laws that an employee can quit at anytime and an employer can fire for any reason. Contracts must be drawn up with a time limit... it cannot be indefinitely and provisions to break it (even with penalties) must be present.
There is no ownership of persons here. You cannot legally write a contract willing away your freedoms and civil rights to a person.

Labor laws also prevent minors under a certain age (16 typically) from working. So your comment about 12 year olds are irrelevant.

In the two decades I have been involved not one person has ever posed a credible and logical reason for differentiating sex from labor.

A Definition of labor:

human activity that provides the goods or services in an economy

So tell me is sex not a human activity? If not then what is it and why is it any different from any other type of human activity?
i highly doubt that. You most likely dismiss every argument as emotional. Just like you are doing here.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:43 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I knew someone who sold panties. Their ads regularly got removed from Craigslist so they got clever. They’d word it as “used clothing, pants, ties, needs washing”. People Will get around the logistics
"Hey party in area 420.. just bring along a couple Bennys. I have Molly already here ready to have some fun. For those shy Russians, I speak Russian and love pearls."

Disclaimer.. the above is fictitious story and just an example of how difficult it would be for any website to simply automatically filter out possible illegal content without the ability to determine context. Yup.. that's it... my intentions. lol

Last edited by usayit; 04-09-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
i highly doubt that. You most likely dismiss every argument as emotional. Just like you are doing here.
Give it a shot. When you use words like "demeaning" it is emotional... not everyone has the same definition. Or when you conjure up some husband wife story or some sap story about a minor... all emotional. God forbid you start quoting the bible.

Sex not a human activity?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
capitalism is the most empowering thing ever devised by mankind. It raises people out of poverty and gives them autonomy over their lives.

You're kidding, right? How much did homeboy have to pay for the ring? How much did he have to spend on dates while he was dating her, especially since it is common knowledge that sex stops after a few years of marriage for most couples?
so only people who exchange an expensive ring can get married? If there is no ring it makes the sex invalid? Or makes the marriage invalid? What's your point?

if i own a restaurant, the people who are dining there do not own it at that moment. They were invited consensually.

they are not there to own the restaurant. But they own the food and can do with it as they will. They can demand it anyway they want, and can eat it anyway they want. Once the food is brought to the table, the restaurant no longer owns it.

12 year-olds can't give consent.

true. But they are generally exposed to a lot of what career do you want? Information. So why not expose them to this great career choice and get them trained?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Bottom line is that if you believe that a person owns their own body then they should have the right to do with that body as they wish as long as it does not hurt someone else..

If you believe that the state has a right to limit what a person does with their own body that doesn't harm anyone else....

Then you believe that your body is owned by the state.
Statists don't believe in self-ownership.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
they are not there to own the restaurant. But they own the food and can do with it as they will. They can demand it anyway they want, and can eat it anyway they want. Once the food is brought to the table, the restaurant no longer owns it.
End of argument. The issue discussed here is labor not work product. Labor and restaurant isn't owned by the customers at any time.... you said it yourself.

As such, selling a service or product doesn't mean the labor (in this case sex work) results in the ownership of said individual. Existing labor laws won't allow it.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
so only people who exchange an expensive ring can get married? If there is no ring it makes the sex invalid? Or makes the marriage invalid? What's your point?
It doesn't have to be expensive. And I'm not just talking about a ring.

It's perfectly fine for people to hook up after the guy pays for a dinner date, but if he tries to cut out the middle man and just pay to hook up, all of a sudden the State gets involved and it is somehow "demeaning."

Quote:
I'm not talking about the food. I'm talking about the restaurant as PROPERTY. Customers are consensually occupying the owner's property temporarily. No different than prostitution.

Quote:
true. But they are generally exposed to a lot of what career do you want? Information. So why not expose them to this great career choice and get them trained?
Not my business. How many kids end up following the career path their parents dream of anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies