Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:18 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We've got millions of workers sitting on the bench collecting government assistance. Let's get them off the bench and into the game. Problem solved.
didn't you hear- they are headed back into that reopened mine, any day now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Re-elect Democrats and put people out of work. That will take care of any shortage of worker problems.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,692 times
It depends.

Bezos is in blue state tech sector, he may have a different view on talents. In red states where Rust Belt and white nationalists are, Trump does not want Mexican labors. Same with agricultural red states, Trump wants to protect jobs from people of wrong race.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yeah maybe but I think it has less to do with all that and more to do with many kids being spoiled to the point that certain jobs are beneath them and the parents agree.

I see it in my own neighborhood where the mom and dad are outside cleaning up their yards and their kids are inside no doubt playing video games. I know as soon as I was old enough to push the lawnmower, rake leaves, wash the family car, and to cut firewood I was doing it. There was time for TV and playing but chores came first.
I'm not sure that middle schoolers within sight of your house can serve as a good proxy for young working adults across america.

Quote:
I think our youth are missing out on important character building tasks like chores and having a minimum wage job to start off. I know a guy that is a janitor at a affluent high school and he sees the kids driving their new cars to school, and coming in with their Starbucks coffees. The parents are enabling their kids and the stories he tells me of the lack of respect they have for him is terrible. Trump is reducing the amount of work visas which has upset a lot of business's near me but I believe Trump is trying to encourage American kids to get off the couch and to fill those jobs.
k

Quote:
We have plenty of workers here already and with the coming automation of many things we will have even more people that will need to do something.
I do agree with you on this, actually.

Quote:
I can't help but think about how crazy the Dems are when they push for amnesty for millions of illegal aliens while keeping the borders open for even more to come. I can't help but think about the low skilled jobs that are currently being worked by mostly minorities people such as maid service and trash men and how they will be put under pressure if/when millions of once illegal aliens are given amnesty and can seek out these jobs.

Not good.
I don't think either party has a coherent plan on illegal immigration, or anything organized enough to be considered a partywide "goal."

What's needed is broad reform of immigration laws and work visa laws across the board, but you need some type of consensus on about 5 or 6 major issues before that is realistic.

Last edited by le roi; 04-09-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
It depends.

Bezos is in blue state tech sector, he may have a different view on talents. In red states where Rust Belt and white nationalists are, Trump does not want Mexican labors. Same with agricultural red states, Trump wants to protect jobs from people of wrong race.

Do you have a link proving your race card assertion? Trump doesn't want Mexicans or any other group working here illegally. You do know the difference between legal and illegal, don't you?

Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We've got millions of workers sitting on the bench collecting government assistance. Let's get them off the bench and into the game. Problem solved.

Does that include the millions of American construction workers, etc. that were forced off their jobs by illegal aliens?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, your link is not to the Washington Post article, but to some other website.
The article is behind a pay wall (if you've used up the free monthly allotment), so I linked to a source that quotes it extensively.

Quote:
All in all, it seems the WP is making valid points. As we Baby Boomers retire (10,0000 per day), as the birthrate declines, and as more and more people develop opioid addictions, finding qualified workers will be more difficult. It is not Mr. Trump's fault, or Obama's fault. It is simply fact.
The editorial does not argue more qualified workers. Just the opposite, the WP wants more unskilled labor:

Mr. Trump says that the U.S. immigration system should tilt toward favoring more skilled and English-proficient workers; in fact, the legislation he backs would freeze the number of such immigrants at current levels while drastically reducing unskilled ones. The trouble is that employers in food processing, retail, landscaping and other industries that rely on low-skilled labor are already desperate for workers. If they can’t hire immigrants, who will fill those jobs? In Canada, which Mr. Trump extols for favoring more educated immigrants, companies report soaring worker shortages.

The newspaper of the liberal Washington establishment is making an explicitly anti-worker argument, seeking to devalue the labor of working class Americans. Why? Because the top priority is to keep America's demographic project on track. The deporables must continue be replaced with a more easily manipulated population. And if Jeff Bezos and friends can become even richer in the process then all the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies