Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:28 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I loved Tucker Carson's closing argument where he proposed an new amendment to our constitution. It went something like this (might not be an exact quote): Congress shall topple no government until it finishes rebuilding the last government it toppled and talk show generals should personally visit the battlefields of every war they advocate for.

I was in favor of the first time we went into Iraq. We had a plan and we stuck to it. We went over there, accomplished our goals and got the heck out of Dodge. The second time we went in it was all made up lies because our President's popularity was in the pits and he needed a 'distraction'. We had no game plan except to remove a leader that had his country under control. Like we have seen, time after time, is that once you remove the strong leader you have no leadership. We despise leaders like Gadhafi, Hussein, and Assad; but we have no real candidates to replace them. It isn't only that; we kill many thousands of their citizens (not to mention our dead) in our quest to remove these leaders. Some could really ask: Who is the real monster?
I was opposed to the first Gulf War. I was in 6th grade, and I already knew then it was all based on lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is a missile strike against another country not an act of war? Can we just shoot missiles at other countries, at will?
Quote:
We are NOT the world's police. Nor are we responsible for taking in and financially supporting the third world's poor in our country.

How does anyone NOT understand that?
Statists.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I've thought for a long time that at least a secondary purpose of the Mueller investigation is to keep Trump in line(if they can't get rid of him), which is why I think it's notable that he'd turn the screws just as it looks like Trump might be wandering off script. A "watch yourself...don't forget what we can do if we need to" sort of thing.

You seem to be hinting at a more deliberate link on Trump's part which may be possible but I think puppet strings are at play. You gotta remember why the Syrian war started in the first place, and how much world economic players have invested in the outcome.
OK - I see that as a possibility...

Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The sad thing here is that neither the US nor Russia has any credibility. From lying to invade Iraq to a president who lies reflexively and a Russia that has a long history of peddling propaganda as fact, the people of this planet have no idea what to believe anymore.
More ... the proliferation of various conspiracy theories with so many quick to believe becomes part of the problem. The false flag theory has been dragged out repeatedly. That it provides cover for these types of atrocities should not be disregarded.

The Douma pocket continued to hold out after other rebels had dispersed ... negotiations had broken down on Friday ... on Saturday, the area was under heavy bombardment from Assad's air force that was targeting medical facilities ... chemicals were used, on site investigators appear to be receiving reports they deem credible that the gas came from canisters dropped by Assad planes.

Trump is so fast to tweet that frankly I'm not sure that he deserves much credibility but so far the EU appears to accept available evidence as pointing to Assad.

With folks so quick to latch on to alternative realities ... and with Russia (and the bots) behind Assad ... what really does Assad have lose by using chemicals? He'll never again have a good name on the world stage - EVER. That he uses gas on his own people hardly will upset Putin who himself gassed just Russians in London. The Russians will replace any planes lost in retaliation.

Heck, this could be viewed as the ultimate F*U from Putin.

So what happens in the meantime here in the US ... these deaths become about Mueller? Lord help us.

A new low people, a new low.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
I've yet to see a plausible explanation for why Assad would choose to specifically gas women and children every time Trump seems to soften his stance on Syria. It makes zero sense and mocking anyone who points out the obvious as a conspiracy theorist is a deflection, not an answer.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
How is a missile strike against another country not an act of war? Can we just shoot missiles at other countries, at will?
Depends on the country.

Looks like we can with Syria for example. Russia might choose to intervene and change that calculation. lets see.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I was opposed to the first Gulf War. I was in 6th grade, and I already knew then it was all based on lies.
The lies of the first war were debatable. We basically painted a line in the sand and said NO to Hussein. It was working until Bush's ratting started to bottom out. That was when he came up with the WMD's and all the other lies.

The Soviet's learned some hard lessons in Afghanistan; we do not have politicians that follow history! As it is; our intelligence did not even know where bin Laden was hiding. We have been in the wrong country for how many years? We don't even know how to say: I'm sorry; just a little mistake! Perhaps our colleges should teach a course on how to apologize?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
I've yet to see a plausible explanation for why Assad would choose to specifically gas women and children every time Trump seems to soften his stance on Syria. It makes zero sense and mocking anyone who points out the obvious as a conspiracy theorist is a deflection, not an answer.
If I recall its not so much women and children, as its neighborhoods who are resisting. They just happen to contain woman and children. Thats the nature to this sort of conflict.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's the same excuse the war machine gives every time.

The MIC is insatiable.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The lies of the first war were debatable. We basically painted a line in the sand and said NO to Hussein. It was working until Bush's ratting started to bottom out. That was when he came up with the WMD's and all the other lies.
The first Gulf war in 1991 was based completely on lies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies