Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Good God religion is for weak-minded people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I don't get it. Muslims believe in God and pray five times a day. What was her concern?
They pray to the same god to boot. You'd think that god would have explained a little better how he wanted them to interact with and treat each other.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:53 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They pray to the same god to boot. You'd think that god would have explained a little better how he wanted them to interact with and treat each other.
They are NOT the "same God".

I could go on but I'm sure that is more appropriate to the religion forum.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
This was first reported 3 years ago in 2015. Why is it being recirculated, now?

It’s not reasonable to form a rational opinion when only one side of the story is told.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
UW administrator: 'Do you read your Bible on campus?!'

Susana Asberry teaches a writing class at UW. She was placed on probation after answering a student's question:

The Muslim student wears a head-covering, as the interviewer (at link) points out, literally wearing her religion on her sleeve. And Susana points out that there are areas in the classroom designated for Muslim students to pray. Apparently they bring their prayer rugs, leave them in the designated area, and go to pray when it is time to do so. Susana says she never had a problem with this, and obviously there was no discipline being issued by the UW admin for it.

Along with the probation, she is required to undergo re-education. She said that a union rep was with her during the meeting where the discipline was issued. Iff the union lets this stand, she probably has a lawsuit against the union for allowing 'disparate treatment.'
Wow, a real life God's Not Dead 2!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

It’s not reasonable to form a rational opinion when only one side of the story is told.
I believe you must be mixing this story up w/ something else. I heard the instructor interviewed just yesterday. The discipline (probation) was issued in Jan, 2018.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Good God religion is for weak-minded people...
That's a bit rough.

Just as long as they follow the NAP and private property rights they can do what they want like everyone else. And if/when they break that you attack those sins...not their religion.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Giving an assignment where students argue against gay marriage when you've got a gay student in class is incredibly stupid no matter how you spin it. All politics and pedagogy of it aside, it's just a jerk move. There are an infinity of other topics you could use to teach debate skills.

If I had a professor advise me to "pray" because my boyfriend dumped me, I personally wouldn't file a formal complaint or anything, but I certainly would think she was a dumbass with boundary issues, and make note of it on her course evaluation.

If the bit that the OP chose to quote were her only questionable incident, she almost certainly wouldn't have landed in hot water. But per even her own account in the biased article in the link, there were additional incidents that contributed to her being put on a plan of improvement. I rather suspect if UW were at liberty to talk about it, they'd have even more issues besides what she chose to disclose.

Last edited by Frostnip; 04-10-2018 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
my God is real, sounds like yours might not be

Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Per Ms Asberry, 3 years ago a Muslim student in one of her classes complained about feeling unsafe. At that time, a review was conducted and she was warned not to bring up God in the classroom. Then, this past school year, she was teaching debate and one of the topics was same-sex marriage. Obviously, in the discussions, religious opposition to same-sex marriage came up. She had two students in the classroom who were gay and involved in a relationship together. They objected to some of her comments regarding same-sex marriage and complained. Ms Asberry is a conservative Christian. She feels the review that had to be conducted because of the complaint, and the school's requirement that she attend a seminar on "Race, Bias and Dissonance" because the school's policy is that classrooms embrace inclusiveness is unfair. The school also asked that she administer regular student evaluations (which she'd been doing anyway), and that her supervisor would observe her in a few unannounced drop-ins in her classroom. She filed her own complaint for discrimination, and the review of that complaint determined that she wasn't being discriminated against. She disagrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies