Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I have a neighbor who has been on disability for at least 15 years. I can’t believe they never check on him. No reason he couldn’t do an office job. Now he’s 50 pounds overweight.
What kind of disability, SSDI? That is meant for permanently disabled people, it's not disability "until you get over your broken leg". His being 50 pounds overweight has nothing to do with this discussion and I'm not sure that you are a QME and can decide whether or not he can do any particular job.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
What did poor people in this country do before they had EBT cards?

Do you really believe people who want to end government assistance want to see people dying from starvation? Or do you think there might be a better way to help the indigent?
There has been some form of welfare in this Country since the 1800's. There have always been people too poor, old or disabled to provide for themselves...and there always will be.
As I said before you end all government assistance and people will TAKE what they need to stay alive, they won't sit down on the sidewalk and wait to die.

http://www.welfareinfo.org/history/

Old 04-12-2018, 04:01 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It is funny seeing the posters complain about obesity,yet these same posters had a problem with Mrs. Obama tried to implement healthy school lunches.
It’s not the type of food but the amount. Not enough.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Anyone thinking they can shed light, change inbred opinions with facts, you are wasting your time
People who use opinions gained from family, friends, Hannity, Fox or other media have no use gor facts
They RUN from them

Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:
I have a neighbor who has been on disability for at least 15 years. I can’t believe they never check on him. No reason he couldn’t do an office job. Now he’s 50 pounds overweight.
Not every disability is one that you can visually see

Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Mental disability? huh. That thought didn't cross your mind? Great "thought" process at work in your post.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Nothing irks me more as when someone makes those sweeping generalizations. In 2008 we lost pretty much all our income and we had 2 small kids. It's a miracle we didn't end up on assistance. My husband eventually found a new job but we were in a big hole for a long time and it was hard to get out.

Whenever I see people who are truly poor I always think "there but for the grace of God go I."

A poster upthread asked how he was blessed.

I know every day that I am blessed, blessed to be born in the US, blessed to have had parents who provided me with an education, blessed that we are all relatively healthy, that my husband works hard and doesn't beat me, etc.

There are a hundred different factors, large and small, that could have made my life much harder. We aren't wealthy really, but I know I am fortunate.

However, none of that negates the FACT that there is a need to manage government programs, including welfare, more efficiently. Or that there are abuses to the system.

Compassion and Government accountability need not be not mutually exclusive.
I can agree with that
I grew up very poor, went to college with Pell Grants and other scholarships and student work programs
And we have been through some difficult financial times and have family who has as well
So yes, I agree, the people must make an effort
But even making an effort can fall on fallow ground
I have also worked for the TX Dept of Health and Human Services
I have seen people I knew were lying to me in order to receive benefits--tried to do everything I could to get accurate info about their financial and living situations--even send fraud investigators to get the truth
And often was not successful
I have also seen people lie during interviews when they could have received help if they had told the truth
Under different programs--but they were afraid to be honest
This was decades ago and the laws and scale of benefits has changed significantly *been reduced really since then

There is just not--from my perspective--an honesty about the purpose of social programs
So many people who support the GOP want NO BENEFITS period--they pass along false stories that the majority of welfare recepients are minorities--when they aren't---they are Anglo

If you want to get people off Welfare, make companies offer a living wage so people don't have to work three jobs and still qualify for Food Stamps or Medicaid or need public housing assistance to have a roof...
If you want people off Welfare, fund job programs and help people get back and forth and have decent child care
If you want people off Welfare, put money into public schools and teach children so they have viable futures
If you want people off Welfare, stop trying to make money off student/college loans
If you want people off Welfare, support a national health system so all people have access to affordable health care
If you want people off Welfare, support family planning, educate youth about responsible sex acts not just staying "pure" until marriage, put money into educating young MEN about their responsibility to their children

And if you want people receiving government assistance programs to be ethical--
Then look to who are running those programs
Do you think an EPA head who fires people because they won't book him a first class airfare which is against Govt policy sets the right example
Do you think the head of HUD who is a wealthy man up from poverty himself should expect the government to pay 31K for a dining room set???
If you want a moral government, maybe choose someone who has a moral compass to run it

Last edited by loves2read; 04-12-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 06:25 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I can agree with that
I grew up very poor, went to college with Pell Grants and other scholarships and student work programs
And we have been through some difficult financial times and have family who has as well
So yes, I agree, the people must make an effort
But even making an effort can fall on fallow ground
I have also worked for the TX Dept of Health and Human Services
I have seen people I knew were lying to me in order to receive benefits--tried to do everything I could to get accurate info about their financial and living situations--even send fraud investigators to get the truth
And often was not successful
I have also seen people lie during interviews when they could have received help if they had told the truth
Under different programs--but they were afraid to be honest
This was decades ago and the laws and scale of benefits has changed significantly *been reduced really since then

There is just not--from my perspective--an honesty about the purpose of social programs
So many people who support the GOP want NO BENEFITS period--they pass along false stories that the majority of welfare recepients are minorities--when they aren't---they are Anglo

If you want to get people off Welfare, make companies offer a living wage so people don't have to work three jobs and still qualify for Food Stamps or Medicaid or need public housing assistance to have a roof...
If you want people off Welfare, fund job programs and help people get back and forth and have decent child care
If you want people off Welfare, put money into public schools and teach children so they have viable futures
If you want people off Welfare, stop trying to make money off student/college loans
If you want people off Welfare, support a national health system so all people have access to affordable health care
If you want people off Welfare, support family planning, educate youth about responsible sex acts not just staying "pure" until marriage, put money into educating young MEN about their responsibility to their children

And if you want people receiving government assistance programs to be ethical--
Then look to who are running those programs
Do you think an EPA head who fires people because they won't book him a first class airfare which is against Govt policy sets the right example
Do you think the head of HUD who is a wealthy man up from poverty himself should expect the government to pay 31K for a dining room set???
If you want a moral government, maybe choose someone who has a moral compass to run it

+1

^^^This^^^

Excellent Post!

Old 04-12-2018, 06:55 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
And when did you graduate from medical school? What physical exam and testing did you perform on your neighbor to overrule what his doctor and the Social Security Administration said he was able (or not) to do? Have you ever heard of the term "invisible disability?" Google it. BTW, SS reviews all their disability recipients and determines their eligibility status periodically. I was reviewed after being on benefits for three years, and I'm sure your neighbor has been reviewed several times as well.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:00 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Of course we all want this but I'm not sure how they would enforce this though. Companies in the private sector only have to pay the minimum wage (which is probably not considered a living wage) and even then there are companies that skirt around paying less than minimum wage.
Am I wrong? Maybe I'm being too pessimistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies