Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:06 PM

2,651 posts, read 1,373,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It isn't a matter of soda being cheap, it is a matter of how much of it they buy. SNAP recipients should be limited just like WIC. Soft drinks are the #1 thing purchased and it takes up over 5% of their benefits. That's just for soda and doesn't include other stuff like chips. They want frivolous items, they can buy them with their own money.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b058ce7aaadea0
Soft drinks often are part of a meal, and they are cheap. That may not comport with your dietary standards...but that is the truth. I think many vastly overestimate the amount poor people spend on junk food. Some seem to think they shouldn't have any. Most who make these arguments would tell you...if they were honest... that they would still be opposed to safety net programs if every meal the poor ate was designed by a dietician. A poor family gets the sake amount of assistance regardless of what they buy....if they make poor choices that is on them. I am agaonst the government dictating what people should eat...what is next? Child abuse charges for anyone who doesn't feed theif kids the way the authorities see fit?

And the majority of people on food stamps do hold jobs. Many receive a small amount and are buying some of their food with stamps and some with their wages, and other buy for the whole month at once, whicy can lead to some misunderstandings when others see their purchases. Nobody is getting rich off of food stamps.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Who or what blessed me?

Here's a BPA water bottle for $5.90 shipped free.

https://www.amazon.com/Sundried-Leak...s=water+bottle

If that's too rich, then just reuse one of those free soda bottles and fill it with water. We do it all the time (except we actually have to pay for our drinks).
Think outside your comfort zone for a minute.

Maybe the only Internet they have access to is at the public library. They might not have a credit card to order something on line.

Are there welfare abusers? Absolutely!

But let's be more concerned about people who buy drugs and are on welfare, people with 6 kids by different fathers who are on welfare, people with no job skills to get them off welfare. And let's worry less about their Big K cola.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
People earning $50K pay SFA in tax. Not even close to their fair share.

Some of us pay millions in tax. I think you'd need a little more than $36 to cover our contribution to welfare. Hell, we paid $200,000 in Obamacare tax alone this year.
And you are complaining? Sounds like our economic system is treating you very well. You SHOULD be paying more to support it. You are benefitting more.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 04-11-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Next they'll want to cut cake too, especially if its a birthday cake. Poor people should not have any pleasures at all and should sulk in the corner all day.
Except, of course, when they are serving us slaving away in one the millions of dirty, primary, physically hard and fast paced low wage service jobs that we have replaced large numbers of middle class blue collar jobs with in the US (that dont pay enough for them not be eligible for food stamps? Or are being recruited to the military (where some of them will still be eligible for food stamps).

Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There are simple fixes that can be made to food stamp programs that will curb abuse. Eliminate the ability to use them to buy soda, candy, chips, ice cream, and other non essential junk food. Make it similar to WIC so they can only use it for important nutrient rich essential products (meat, cheese, milk, vegetables, fruits, whole grains)... You know, ingredients that focus on making healthy meals.
Do you have any idea what that kind of change would cost retailers? They would have to reprogram every cash register so that items not covered would be rejected, then the customer would have to pay cash or reject those items, have fun waiting behind someone going through that in a grocery store. WIC is a very limited program designed for infants and pregnant women, not adults or older children: https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/wic-foo...eligible-foods

Old 04-11-2018, 04:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
People earning $50K pay SFA in tax. Not even close to their fair share.

Some of us pay millions in tax. I think you'd need a little more than $36 to cover our contribution to welfare. Hell, we paid $200,000 in Obamacare tax alone this year.
If you are doing that well, it seems that you probably want for absolutely nothing, and enjoy a degree of security of which most people, including many very hard-working people, can only dream.

For someone in your shoes to be complaining about the horrible injustice of life is one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-welfare-prog/
Great news...time to trim some fat.

"Despite the strong economy, administration officials said enrollment in welfare programs remains high. The White House said in 2016, more than 16 million “able-bodied adults” were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps."
Gee...I wonder if someone in the administration is starting to get worried about the two trillion they are adding to the deficit with their tax plan for billionaires? I mean we could never rethink some of the nonsensical tax cuts that only benefit the wealthiest individuals and corporations...that's not the American way~

Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-welfare-prog/

Great news...time to trim some fat.

"Despite the strong economy, administration officials said enrollment in welfare programs remains high. The White House said in 2016, more than 16 million “able-bodied adults” were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps."

Someone actually grabbed the football in the old "smear the *****" game?
Someone has brass balls, coated in platinum.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
People also buy junk food if they live in a food desert and don’t have transportation to a full grocery store. If the only place within walking distance is a dollar general or a 7-11, you’re forced to buy what they carry. Some people live in motels and don’t have full size fridges or stoves. Many have no car so they can only buy what they can carry.

I find it disturbing that people who have things like plenty of money for groceries or a refrigerator or a nice house to live in begrudge others an extremely tiny percentage of collected taxes to spend on food. You’re paying taxes anyway. I’d rather mine go to food and medical care for the poor and not to covering yet another trip to the Mar-a-Lago. But that’s just me.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
President Trump orders top-to-bottom review of welfare programs

EVERY gov't program should be included.
Now I truly know the reason why I absolutely loathe the Republican conservative agenda.

The goal always seems to be some effort to exclude essential needs from the impoverished and those in need of supplemental assistance at the behest or whim of the wealthy.

How utterly disgusting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies