Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times

Advertisements

KFC is to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:46 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Interesting. Would be nice to read the study, or at least the story about the study. I agree with the other poster, demographic info would add a dimension. But, then that is easy enough to get through the census quick fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
They mainly chalked it up to alcoholism, depression, diabetes, and opioids for the rise since 1990, but health care has to play a role in what ultimately happens with those problems.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Reported in JAMA today. Top ten states with the highest probability of premature death:

1) West Virginia
2) Mississippi
3) Alabama
4) Oklahoma
5) Kentucky
6) Arkansas
7) New Mexico
8) Louisiana
9) Tennessee
10) South Carolina

Since 1990, the chance of dying prematurely from the ages of 20 to 55 have gone up more than 10% in West Virginia, Wyoming, Kentucky, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.

The ten states with the lowest probability of premature death are all blue states:

1) Minnesota
2) California
3) New York
4) Connecticut
5) Washington
6) New Jersey
7) Massachusetts
8) Vermont
9) New Hampshire
10) Hawaii

Why aren't Republicans showing more anger towards their state and local politicians? Californians are less likely to die a premature death than they were in 1990; maybe some of the state and local laws are reasons for this.
you seem to be talking through your hat: it has nothing to do with red versus blue. We all know rural states have higher mortality rates for several reasons; poorer nutrition, not up to date medical facilities, not top doctors, long distances to travel for decent health care, more disease that are inherited,lack of education and so on. What do you suggest politicians do? I don't care which side they are on, we already have food stamps, cheap medical treatment (often free) public education, classes on health care, section 8 housing. I don't really know what else can be done. I would guess if you did some research you lean people living in say, the NW corner of AR are overall healthier than say, many living in the central valley of Ca or the humbolt County region of Ca. I give this as an example because I am familiar with both states. I can imaging many others can give similar opinions on their state. Studies are no always what they appear to be. Anyone who spends time getting to the bottom of things instead of just taking sides would understand this. R

Old 04-12-2018, 12:59 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
In the short term at least, initial data shows that soda tax seems to be working:

Philadelphia Residents Drank Less Sugary Drinks After Soda Tax | Time

From the article:

While it doesn't eliminate soda consumption, any reduction in the consumption of soda is surely a positive from a health standpoint.

ETA:

Regarding smoking bans, California has among the most stringent public smoking bans in the country, and one of the lowest percentages of smokers, at 15% (Utah has the lowest at 12%, which is probably attributed to their large Mormon population)

And what next tax or ban red meat, bleached flour, fats, carbs, eggs, sugar, coffee, mileage, alcohol so you have a probability of living longer, working longer or receiving benefits longer.

Don't get me wrong being health contentious is great, smoking, sodas are bad. I wish there was a total ban on both but not at the expense of our personal freedoms.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And what next tax or ban red meat, bleached flour, fats, carbs, eggs, sugar, coffee, mileage, alcohol so you have a probability of living longer, working longer or receiving benefits longer.

Don't get me wrong being health contentious is great, smoking, sodas are bad. I wish there was a total ban on both but not at the expense of our personal freedoms.
You are still free to buy soda, you'll just pay a bit more in places with the tax (which, hopefully discourages some from drinking it as much).

As for smoking, again, you are free to buy cigarettes and free to smoke in your own house. You just can't smoke out in public everywhere anymore, as 2nd hand smoke affects the health of others.

I wouldnt be opposed to an extra tax on "junk food" if it meant a reduction in consumption. Again, people would still be free to consume it, but with the knowledge that they are having to pay more for the privilege.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you seem to be talking through your hat: it has nothing to do with red versus blue. We all know rural states have higher mortality rates for several reasons; poorer nutrition, not up to date medical facilities, not top doctors, long distances to travel for decent health care, more disease that are inherited,lack of education and so on. What do you suggest politicians do? I don't care which side they are on, we already have food stamps, cheap medical treatment (often free) public education, classes on health care, section 8 housing. I don't really know what else can be done. I would guess if you did some research you lean people living in say, the NW corner of AR are overall healthier than say, many living in the central valley of Ca or the humbolt County region of Ca. I give this as an example because I am familiar with both states. I can imaging many others can give similar opinions on their state. Studies are no always what they appear to be. Anyone who spends time getting to the bottom of things instead of just taking sides would understand this. R
Maybe. Most of the states on the first list are pretty rural, although I think Vermont has the highest percentage of rural population (61%) of the states listed. West Virginia would be second with about 51% of the population being rural.

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...ural-2010.html

I think the R vs D breakdown is also primarily Rural vs. Urban.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
You are still free to buy soda, you'll just pay a bit more in places with the tax (which, hopefully discourages some from drinking it as much).

As for smoking, again, you are free to buy cigarettes and free to smoke in your own house. You just can't smoke out in public everywhere anymore, as 2nd hand smoke affects the health of others.

I wouldnt be opposed to an extra tax on "junk food" if it meant a reduction in consumption. Again, people would still be free to consume it, but with the knowledge that they are having to pay more for the privilege.

I'm not saying they wouldn't. They are punished for it and restricted. I'm saying personally I wouldn't care if there were no more smokes or sodas but regardless of my personal feelings the government should have too much control over peoples personal decisions. If one wants to poison their body with unhealthy food, drink alcohol, smoke, etc. as long as it is not directly affecting others its their own business.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:11 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Reported in JAMA today. Top ten states with the highest probability of premature death:

1) West Virginia
2) Mississippi
3) Alabama
4) Oklahoma
5) Kentucky
6) Arkansas
7) New Mexico
8) Louisiana
9) Tennessee
10) South Carolina

Since 1990, the chance of dying prematurely from the ages of 20 to 55 have gone up more than 10% in West Virginia, Wyoming, Kentucky, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.

The ten states with the lowest probability of premature death are all blue states:

1) Minnesota
2) California
3) New York
4) Connecticut
5) Washington
6) New Jersey
7) Massachusetts
8) Vermont
9) New Hampshire
10) Hawaii

Why aren't Republicans showing more anger towards their state and local politicians? Californians are less likely to die a premature death than they were in 1990; maybe some of the state and local laws are reasons for this.
The states with the highest premature death rates also have some of the highest murder rates in the nation(Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, New Mexico). Some have high rates of suicide(West Virginia, Kentucky, New Mexico, Oklahoma) while others have high things like smoking, and environmental problems (Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina).

Old 04-12-2018, 02:13 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is due to poverty, and mostly, the opioid epidemic. If you're wealthy in Tennessee, you'll be fine. If you're poor back in a holler, not so much.
The hollers have alot of problems with opiods. There are also some environmental problems and smoking problems to consider.

In Memphis, there is a big murder problem, which goes back to 1900. Not 1990, 1900. Yep, Memphis has been violent for a long time.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The states with the highest premature death rates also have some of the highest murder rates in the nation(Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, New Mexico). Some have high rates of suicide(West Virginia, Kentucky, New Mexico, Oklahoma) while others have high things like smoking, and environmental problems (Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina).

Uh, highest potential for premature death.

Have you actually looked at how murder rates and crime statistics are figured.

People really should treat statistics for what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies