Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
He was more of a peace candidate than Hillary.

With him we had a shot, with her it was certain destruction. oh well, Trump is a lost cause now (which sucks).
Except for all the instances where he threatened to use violence. Nothing during the campaign trail made me think he was a man of peace because deep down Trump isn't a candidate with a solid platform. He played around with people's emotions by opposing mainstream policies. He was a registered Democrat who became a Republican candidate. Even his stance on Russia was likely driven by a desire to oppose Clinton. I wouldn't be surprised if he had taken a different tune, had the establishment been very favorable towards Russia.
This is a candidate who wanted to go back on both Cuba and the Iranian nuclear deal, so I'm not sure where the surprise comes from.

Now I don't blame you or anyone else for voting for him as I understand his appeal. The Canadian in me dislikes his attempts to dismantle NAFTA and place tariffs on us, but looking at it from an American perspective I can understand a number of angles even if I disagree with many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Part of the reason that Obama got little flack for it is that he had his CIA peeps sit down and meticulously go through the strike records with outside reporters to show when they screwed up and when they did not screw up ... turns out they got more al qaeda types than wedding guests. Waaaaay more.

Heck ... even a non-statist isn't necessarily an across-the-board pacifist ... right?

And somebody has to fly those little drone thingies.
Quote:
The 542 drone strikes that Obama authorized killed an estimated 3,797 people, including 324 civilians. As he reportedly told senior aides in 2011: “Turns out I’m really good at killing people. Didn’t know that was gonna be a strong suit of mine.”
https://www.cfr.org/blog/obamas-final-drone-strike-data

Defend it. I dare you.

(you probably will knowing I can't commit aggression against another person but seriously...this makes me sick to my stomach)

Old 04-12-2018, 12:21 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
https://www.cfr.org/blog/obamas-final-drone-strike-data

Defend it. I dare you.

(you probably will knowing I can't commit aggression against another person but seriously...this makes me sick to my stomach)
Holy crap, I completely forgot he said that.

That quote should've been posted on billboards all across the country.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Holy crap, I completely forgot he said that.

That quote should've been posted on billboards all across the country.
Only problem is we'd have to drive on government roads to see it!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I am not at all sure how anyone who listened to Trump during the campaign could have considered him a lover of peace.

Did he not admit to loving war, "in a way?"

Did he not ask why we can't or shouldn't use nukes, since we have them?

Come on, man. Get real. Those are not the words of someone who has a horror of violence and war.
Maybe he will invade and destroy countries like Libya, supply weapons to Mexican Drug Lords, release Terrorists who kill Americans, or use a Billion dollars in Cruise missiles like his Peace Prize winning predessessor

Old 04-12-2018, 03:20 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Maybe he will invade and destroy countries like Libya, supply weapons to Mexican Drug Lords, release Terrorists who kill Americans, or use a Billion dollars in Cruise missiles like his Peace Prize winning predessessor
Qaddafi was taken out by the French.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Obama escalated Libya, Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. My hope was that Trump would deescalate, and get us OUT. So far he hasn't, and that is disappointing to say the least.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Obama escalated Libya, Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. My hope was that Trump would deescalate, and get us OUT. So far he hasn't, and that is disappointing to say the least.
"Get us out" I agree with that! What's pathetic is Obama won on not being a war monger like Bush, then proceeds to invade 3 additional countries. Guess the Nobel peace prize should be the Nobel war prize

Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
End the war was not a trump platform
Build the wall and renegotiate nafta was the platform

Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No State-agent, especially the President, is a person of peace. The very foundation of the belief system is violence. Their body bag counts vary by administration but that's little consolation to those in them.
Reagan managed to stay out of wars for his 8 years... then came nothing but wars for the next three presidents. Pretty sad.

Trump inherited a mess. If he manages to avoid a war it'll be an impressive thing.

Quote:
"Get us out" I agree with that! What's pathetic is Obama won on not being a war monger like Bush, then proceeds to invade 3 additional countries. Guess the Nobel peace prize should be the Nobel war prize
Sad, but true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Let's not discount that his policies have taken out ISIS in 16 months, which Obama (after claiming them a JV team) said would take a generation.

How many of our soldiers have died under Trump? 14

By 2016 2,499 U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan and Iraq under President Obama

Last edited by steven_h; 04-12-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies