Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have long been in favor of removing party affiliation from all voting ballots. The uninformed votes become randomly distributed white noise, allowing the people who have actually done their homework to have more influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yes, and do away with the electoral college, and stop the insane amount of money going INTO elections, and stop lobbyists from having such a huge influence.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Um, I'm not advocating for political parties. I'm advocating for no government.

No one can rule over you if there's no State.
That is not the topic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
In the elections, too often people vote by party rather than knowledge. However, if they were to remove the parties on the ballot and leave just the name, then people would actually have to know who they were voting for, which would lead to more informed voters (hopefully).

So, would you support a referendum stripping party from the general election ballots?
It could work, I thought of that once long ago myself. Not so sure if it would benefit the public to be denied that information in the voting booth. It would require a lot more study before I could agree to it.

If the change came quickly enough it could save the Republican party from being hosed later this year.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Um, I'm not advocating for political parties. I'm advocating for no government.

No one can rule over you if there's no State.
Never can and never will happen, it is a naïve modern theoretical pipe dream, so dream on ...

There is no place where people live in the world that does not have a government, as soon as one disappears opportunistic outsiders step into the vacuum and take advantage of the situation. If people agree to dissolve their own state, one will be unpleasantly provided for them from somewhere else, and they will feel very stupid about themselves.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I am sure the politicians we elect into the state legislatures are all for this, too. It's not like the political parties actually fund their campaigns. Right?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
if you do this based on studies that have been done, the person listed first for any particular position would have a significant advantage.

you willing to put the fate of your nation, state, local community in the hands of the person listed at the top of the ballot?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That has to be the most self-defeating logic I have ever heard.

There is no way you will ever persuade everyone to stop voting. You might convince some, and they will be people who believe the same thing you do: that the government is too authoritarian, and has too much power. What does that accomplish, except to leave the decisions to fewer and fewer people, most of whom will probably enact policies you despise?
This^^^^

Stop voting totally. I will be delighted to make the choices for you. The fewer who vote make it way easier for my team to rule.

The problem is not political parties. The problem is lack of knowledge or plain stupidity. You can wish for your own brand of utopia all day long. This is the system we live in.

Years ago, a person who had a very similar name as a beloved senator filed for supreme court judge in Texas. He was a crook and anybody paying attention knew it.

I know for a fact that there was a lawyer in every precinct in Harris county and most all precincts in Texas to tell primary voters do not vote for this guy.

He won. Then had to run off to some island to avoid prison.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
I would prefer having to take a test to be allowed to vote.... and owning property.... and not receiving benefits from the government (that would include really rich people that got that way from government contracts etc)

Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
if you do this based on studies that have been done, the person listed first for any particular position would have a significant advantage.

you willing to put the fate of your nation, state, local community in the hands of the person listed at the top of the ballot?
Alphabetically listed? (Hint: C comes before T)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies