Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Another perspective on Trump and trade deals

Trump signals new interest in joining TPP as U.S. scales back key NAFTA demand on auto | CBC News

In a pair of dramatic moves, the Trump administration has signalled a growing desire to secure new trade deals — softening one key demand in the NAFTA negotiations, then expressing an interest in re-joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

The twin developments are a departure from the combative posture that had stoked U.S. tensions with Canada, Mexico, the European Union, Japan and even with the United States' own struggling farmers, straining under threats of cancelled deals, tariffs, and tit-for-tat trade war
s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wow what a useless equivalency.....lol...
You're right. Plenty of jobs and houses to choose from. Trump's negotiation position is, if anything, worse.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Here's why globalism will always be better for the US economy than isolationism:

With globalism, US companies have a potential market of 8 billion people for their products and services.
With isolationism, US companies have a limited market of only 330 million people.

The world has a global marketplace and has for decades. We tried isolationism in the late 1920's and it was a dismal failure.
Was the U.S. isolationist before the Big 3 automakers started using parts made in foreign countries sometime around 1980 transferring millions of American jobs overseas? Of course not, not only has the loss of millions of jobs in different industries over the decades ruined what used to be the middle class in this country, it has also affected our national security. Think it was wonderful to transfer American jobs, technology and wealth to China? They are a quickly rising communist country with nearly 1.4 billion people, and their government and military leaders are bent on challenging the U.S.. We can only hope it doesn't end up in a war starting in the South China Sea or elsewhere.

Not to mention many of those who would have been in the middle class now need to depend on food assistance, welfare, Medicaid, etc., to help them survive. All thanks to the corporate, globalist fascists who think like you do. Guessing you also get upset with people for needing and using government assistance. Can't have it both ways 'Elliott'.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The "false argument" is that trade agreements are there to benefit only a few. And yes, it's government's job to negotiate with other governments to come up with trading rules.

Isolationists want us to believe that if we kill NAFTA and put big tariffs on China that the Rust Belt will come back and all the old steel mills will reopen. That's a pipe dream and it's not going to happen, in the same way coal isn't coming back either.
The point of tariffs is to give companies in this country a fighting chance of competing with cheap imports. Why does that mean companies have to bring back jobs they off-shored? More likely new companies, or ones still here, would grow and take business away from the traitors who left so many people unemployed when they moved out of the country.

I noticed you like to throw around the term isolationist around where it doesn't apply.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
President Trump May Want the U.S. to Rejoin the TPP. But It Won't Be So Simple

But regardless of his decision, such a move would be hard to navigate. The remaining 11 countries have already reached their own deal. In order for the U.S. to re-enter, the countries may need to start negotiations from scratch, and it is unclear what, if any, conditions they would set in order for that to happen.

Why It Might Be Hard For The U.S. To Rejoin TPP | Fortune
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
The point of tariffs is to give companies in this country a fighting chance of competing with cheap imports. Why does that mean companies have to bring back jobs they off-shored? More likely new companies, or ones still here, would grow and take business away from the traitors who left so many people unemployed when they moved out of the country.

I noticed you like to throw around the term isolationist around where it doesn't apply.
You are arguing for the government to enact laws to protect a U.S. business. That government has to be paid for. It's not going to be paid for by that businesses employee's in Asia.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:54 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Still waiting for you to prove your post I quoted...but it's obvious you cannot....
You quoted a post showing tRump cancelling the TPP and then flip-flopping.

That's exactly what I posted and smiled about.

You're terribly confused again.
Quote:
Yes, I agree....he did....

Yes, he did run against TPP.....and he pulled out. What's your point? He did what he said he was going to do. Does that confuse you being on the left? Someone says they are going to do something and then follows through?

Maybe you need to get your grandchildren to proof your posts ....again....

Yep, he wants back in for a better deal...that makes you mad? Figures...
Makes me laugh.

tRump, the great negotiator. The great decisive executive. His epic flipping and flopping is like watching a carp flopping around on a creek bank.

For some strange reason, you fail to see the humor in the situation.

Makes you very angry, chuck.

Please cool down a little.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You quoted a post showing tRump cancelling the TPP and then flip-flopping.

That's exactly what I posted and smiled about.

You're terribly confused again.

Makes me laugh.

tRump, the great negotiator. The great decisive executive. His epic flipping and flopping is like watching a carp flopping around on a creek bank.

For some strange reason, you fail to see the humor in the situation.

Makes you very angry, chuck.

Please cool down a little.

Nah, I Laugh at people like you....you and your buddies have no clue what renegotiation means....that is not flip-flopping.....

It's makes you angry because I called you and your anti trump haters.....did not like that....:c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying:

Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Nah, I Laugh at people like you....you and your buddies have no clue what renegotiation means....that is not flip-flopping.....

It's makes you angry because I called you and your anti trump haters.....did not like that....:c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying::cry ing::cryin g: :c rying:
Oh, chuckles...

Watch that blood pressure.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:22 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
LOL...it's ok little g....my BP is just fine, matter a fact, it's kinda low laughing at yours and other posts that agree with you...

But hey, maybe you think you're better because you post those stupid cartoons.....maybe that helps you lower your BP...cause you cannot stand being wrong....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies