Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I agree that northern progressives moving there - and enlightened Southerners - are moving the curve upwards.

Note - I think we are somewhat typical of a family - we come from the Philly areas, but some family was in Baltimore also. Some of the branches of the tree moved to FL - and then to coastal SC.

Taking the example further, the SC one is a teacher of Science in high school. Another who lives in mid-Florida is an Art teacher.

Even more examples...a LOT of my old "hippie" friends ended up in Atlanta or Austin...

Of course, I am writing this out on the porch in Sarasota, but I'm a snowbird so I don't count.

No doubt the population of the entire country is becoming more homogenous and...to whatever extent, possibly more tolerant and liberal. My neighbor down here is from a multi-generational Gulf Coast family...and this area was Trump Central in some ways. Yet they (older than we are....and we aren't spring chickens) are extremely well educated AND extremely liberal (both were educators)....

So there is hope.
We have Mr. Carrier to thank for all of this. Enjoy the Summer in "HotLanta!".

When I got off an air-conditioned airplane in Augusta, in a mid-July, to report for advanced Army training, I thought they were pulling a huge practical joke, with the heat. I was wondering how many minutes anyone could survive it. Then, I realized that the answer to that was about 9 weeks for me, in training. You adjust to it after awhile and being 19 years old and athletic, helped a lot.

When I got to my duty station later, in Alabama, that part of the South was already changing, as there were 32,000 civilian employees on our base, many of whom had come from the North and West. But there were only two seasons, winter and summer. It was very cold in the Northern part of that state, until April, then it turned into summer overnight, with high temps and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I think what might happen is that the congressional districts might be redrawn.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Liberal white people have few children and young Whites are more conservative than in generations. The Black population is static. We're taking care of the illegal Latino influx.

If this was only about "white conservative racists" then major liberal areas would be more integrated instead of ever less, and minorities would stop worrying about where the White people are running off to when they move to a (liberal) White neighborhood. They wouldn't care whether or not they live in proximity to Whites.

Everyone worries about their own interests. To pretend otherwise is to be ridiculously cowardly in your avowed politics.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Yeah well, it was within my adult lifetime, or at least within the time since I was old enough to be politically aware, that the South was still pretty solidly Democrat, California was fairly reliably Republican, and New York was at least a swing state. If Democrats start capturing "new" blue states, chances are they'll be left defending current blue states from turning red.

It amazes me how many Democrats are itching to get rid of the electoral college because "Hillary won the popular vote." While that's true, I'd argue she still lost precisely because the electoral college map is stacked so heavily in the Democrats' favor right now that she got complacent and failed to work that favor to her advantage. Right now the Republicans' EC margins are so perilous that a path to victory is almost impossible if they lose a major swing state like Florida. Democrats on the other hand can lose a bunch of swing states and still come out on top as long as they still have a lock on the entire Northeast, West Coast, and Illinois.

Last edited by Bitey; 04-14-2018 at 11:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 01:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 7,597,559 times
This what, the 539th announcement of the demise of conservatism?

And that's only since Trump announced the was running for President.

How many of them have been right so far?

Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Conservatives have higher birth rates, so it’s not going away. Conservatism stinks, but it’s good at surviving.

Society is never more than one generation from an outright theocracy if a religious movement can capture a whole generation while it is young. Why do you think conservatives are so hostile to public education? It’s no coincidence that Betsy DeVos is part of the Religious Right.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Trump is becoming a gift to the left. He embodies all of the Right's demons in one man, for the world to see. Blue wave coming in November and feel free to quote me on that when November comes.
Sure, that will be framed right next to your Hillary predictions.

Here's your Blue Wave
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:j...ets/toilet.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-16-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If I had a dollar for every epitaph for [Insert Political Party Here] I have read, I would be rich.

Left & Right will always be around. And everyone should be happy about that.

Or did Obama and has Trump done wonderful things with their respective monopolies?
The fact is neither the Democrats or Republicans are highly principled. Both parties will do what they must to get 50% of the vote.

The other fact is no matter how much changes there will always be people labeled liberal and conservative

Last edited by whogo; 04-16-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
The real reason why Repubs are so racist in their immigration policies: they know it's an existential threat.
So wanting our Immigration Laws to be enforced like every other developed nation is RACIST? What about the security issues of people coming here with no knowledge of their background? They could be drug dealers, cartel members, criminals, terrorists or just those who will steal, and use YOUR identity.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama and the huge majorities in the House and Senate was supposed to be the end of Conservatives.
i too remember 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies