Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 PM

78,001 posts, read 60,193,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
As an employer if you tell me *requires 5 years of design experience* I presume I have nothing valuable in your opinion but if the description instead says *requires the ability to observe and critically think* that's when I can try and state my case but no company says just that.
I can't give you my value if you've already told me I'm out of the running. You've already made up your mind so what's the point?

Here's the problem with hiring whoever you want. Other companies have to pick up the slack. They know that you have to start somewhere and they want someone to fill up the seat. Great except the person not only had no interest in the job but was not as efficient so she probably lost some customers along the way as well as supplies. Your boss might even be fine with your performance but that doesn't change the fact that your talents/abilities were a better fit somewhere else.

They should be willing to train people sometimes. If you don't train people to do better society will crumble.
They can ship a lot of that work to India and China.

I'm not being mean. Just stating a fact.

Also, it doesn't mean they'll do a good job at it, but that it's cheap.

Companies want cheap. People buy products based on "cheap".

Heck, my father worked at a company that made things like appliances. (This was 20 years ago)

People would instead by cheap-arse foreign stuff and complain about them breaking down....but would then turn around and buy cheap again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,134,824 times
Quote:
As an employer if you tell me *requires 5 years of design experience* I presume I have nothing valuable in your opinion but if the description instead says *requires the ability to observe and critically think* that's when I can try and state my case but no company says just that.
I can't give you my value if you've already told me I'm out of the running. You've already made up your mind so what's the point?

Here's the problem with hiring whoever you want. Other companies have to pick up the slack. They know that you have to start somewhere and they want someone to fill up the seat. Great except the person not only had no interest in the job but was not as efficient so she probably lost some customers along the way as well as supplies. Your boss might even be fine with your performance but that doesn't change the fact that your talents/abilities were a better fit somewhere else.

They should be willing to train people sometimes. If you don't train people to do better society will crumble.

Here's another ridiculous notion to ponder: I applied for a job that required no experience they actually wanted someone that didn't have any and had an interest in computers. I didn't even get hired by that job despite writing an honest cover letter about how comfortable I am with a computer but had no work history.
You seem to have your brain stuck on this idea that employers owe jobs to unemployed people. They don't. So we need to get your brain unstuck from this idea before we can have a productive conversation about this topic.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 PM

20,259 posts, read 19,841,372 times
Quote:

Here's another ridiculous notion to ponder: I applied for a job that required no experience they actually wanted someone that didn't have any and had an interest in computers. I didn't even get hired by that job despite writing an honest cover letter about how comfortable I am with a computer but had no work history.
You need to start your own business and apply your assumptions on what employers should do.

Nobody "owes" you a job.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,800,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They can ship a lot of that work to India and China.

I'm not being mean. Just stating a fact.

Also, it doesn't mean they'll do a good job at it, but that it's cheap.

Companies want cheap. People buy products based on "cheap".

Heck, my father worked at a company that made things like appliances. (This was 20 years ago)

People would instead by cheap-arse foreign stuff and complain about them breaking down....but would then turn around and buy cheap again.
But is it really cheap? It's cheap initially but less productivity means less dollars. The worst was my first job out of college especially since it paid pretty well (I'm not discounting that paycheck. I well earned it because I do work hard but it would be a lot better if it was a job that I was more passionate and have abilities in) It was temp work. I quit after only 2 days but still that's two days where probably not as much got done because coworkers had to stop what they were doing to help me with my project. I know they probably did not care in a sense but I don't think it's good for anyone's sake to have to resort to a job that made me cry in front of everyone and the worst part about it was I only decided to quit after a coworker said he was going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You seem to have your brain stuck on this idea that employers owe jobs to unemployed people. They don't. So we need to get your brain unstuck from this idea before we can have a productive conversation about this topic.
Would you at least agree that underemployed people deserve a job that they would be better at doing?
Unemployed is a whole nother topic but unemployed people tend to have less money which means less money to give to your company. Besides a lot of you all complain that people shouldn't be on welfare as you don't owe them anything. Wouldn't you agree that an employer owes them more than you?
Plus let's go back to a previous post: they must think they owe it to the people who SAY they have 5 years experience even though they might be lying.

Last edited by Nickchick; 04-12-2018 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,240,006 times
Answer
Math guy
Said it first ditto

Old 04-12-2018, 10:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,092,911 times
Quote:
I picked fields as a kid if that is what you are asking. You'll need to be more specific in your post because you don't really explain your point.
Jobs that the majority Americans wouldn't do these days..

Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 PM

We'll all be replaced by our mechanical overlords eventually. Then we can all sit and sulk..

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,134,824 times
Quote:
Would you at least agree that underemployed people deserve a job that they would be better at doing?
No.

Quote:
Unemployed is a whole nother topic but unemployed people tend to have less money which means less money to give to your company. Besides a lot of you all complain that people shouldn't be on welfare as you don't owe them anything. Wouldn't you agree that an employer owes them more than you?
No.

Quote:
Plus let's go back to a previous post: they must think they owe it to the people who SAY they have 5 years experience even though they might be lying.
Nope, they don't think they owe it to anyone. And they're right.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 PM

78,001 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
However would you at least agree that underemployed people are owed a job that they would be better at doing?
I'm not typically a nice person on this forum because many posters are frankly horrible people with narrow mindsets. With you however, I'm sorry you are having issues with employment but work sucks.

With that said, I'm going to give you advice as if you were my favorite child.

You really need to find a low-stress job. I'm not 100% sure what that is but something kindof mundane and peaceful without deadlines and crisis, definitely not customer service I would think.

Have you considered working with elderly?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not typically a nice person on this forum because many posters are frankly horrible people with narrow mindsets. With you however, I'm sorry you are having issues with employment but work sucks.

With that said, I'm going to give you advice as if you were my favorite child.

You really need to find a low-stress job. I'm not 100% sure what that is but something kindof mundane and peaceful without deadlines and crisis, definitely not customer service I would think.

Have you considered working with elderly?
Other good advice is connections. You gotta build a network with many people. That's how I got my new job, as well as some freelance gigs through some of the music industry. But finally landed a full time job thanks to a professor who offered me a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies