Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 08:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Watched a "whistleblowers' episode on CBS where Bristol-Myers Squib paid $515 million to the federal government and $30 million to the state of California because they got caught giving kickbacks to doctors for pushing their drugs. Some doctors even let sales reps access patient files and suggest who should get these drugs.
That is ancient news. Doctors are no longer allowed to accept more than the cost of an inexpensive meal to listen to a presentation about a drug. The person giving the presentation can be paid because he is providing a service to the company.

US doctors do not get trips, event tickets, or even pens and note pads any more and have not for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I mean is "restless leg syndrome" really legit? dont take pills.
Yes. It was first described in the seventeenth century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Both of my brothers got the chicken pox. My parents did not hold a "party" but they sure did try to get me to get the chicken pox, as well, to "get it over with".

I never did get them, however.

But your experience is not unusual. I remember when kids were getting chicken pox and were out of school, (young age, can't remember exactly but maybe around 8 or 9 years old), and no one was freaking out and trying to sterilize everything or telling people to get vaccinated. The adults hoped you would get them because they said that it was better to get them when you were young. I didn't know why, but they made it sound like if you got them when you were older, it was going to be a terrible experience.

When I didn't get the chicken pox, on the one hand, I was gloating that I didn't have to have spots all over me like my brothers did, but there was that in the back of my mind what the adults were saying about getting it when you were older.

Again, another disease that no one freaked out about back then. They didn't freak out about measles, chicken pox, mono, the flu, etc. The immune system is an amazing thing, and if you eat healthy and get exercise, and allow the immune system to work, you can cut out a lot of these useless vaccines.

This is the same for veterinarians with animals. The vets push vaccines and act like your dog is going to die if you don't get them vaccinated. The ONLY vaccines I give my pets are if they are very young, I'll get them the starter vaccines. I do not give them vaccines again for the rest of their lives. Not even rabies. I've had a lot of pets. Not a single one of them has died from rabies.

More and more vets are coming out and acknowledging that we are over-vaccinating our animals....it's the same thing: fear mongering, and in some vaccines, they make it a law without any research whatsoever. A vet said, "You should give them a rabies shot every single year." Now you have states that require them only once every 3 years, or once every 7 years, and some are still stuck in the dark ages of fear and still require by law to get them every single year.

Or you could just feed your pets a species appropriate diet instead of that crap they sell in cans and bags. SOME animals will need vaccines because their system isn't working properly, but the majority do not. And no, I do not think, "wouldn't it be safer to get it in order to prevent....." No. It's not "safer" to fill your body up with man made crap.

I refuse to be pushed into fear as a reason to get a vaccine or have my pet get one. As you pointed out, science is NEVER exact. It is always changing. Pluto used to be a planet. Then it wasn't. Then for a brief period, it was a planet again. Now it's not. Any scientist who acts like they know the answers 100% is not a good scientist. Always checking and testing that hypothesis is the essence of science. A good scientist is a curious person.

Any scientist who says, "this is the end all be all answer, there is no other answer, this is confirmed 100%, not open for debate ever again" is trash.
Eating healthy is not going to keep you from catching a vaccine preventable disease.

If you do not use any other animal vaccines, at least do the rabies. The consequences of not doing that could be tragic, even if you have not had an exposure before. Ask your vet to do titers if you wish. Without the other vaccines your pet could just get sick.

By the way, your vet has probably had the rabies vaccine himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Good grief, Suzy, glad to see you back to make everything so clear!!!!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The only concern was the slight chance of leaving scars on your face. Mumps, only if you were past puberty.
Actually, mumps is the main cause of one-sided hearing loss. I have a slight hearing loss either from measles or mumps, per an audiologist.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/mumps.html

Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is ancient news. Doctors are no longer allowed to accept more than the cost of an inexpensive meal to listen to a presentation about a drug. The person giving the presentation can be paid because he is providing a service to the company.

US doctors do not get trips, event tickets, or even pens and note pads any more and have not for years.

It was already illegal when BMS got caught. And some companies still do it,

Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
It was already illegal when BMS got caught. And some companies still do it,
Which ones?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM

689 posts, read 973,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Meanwhile, the American Cancer Society tells us that in 2018, about 13,240 new cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed and about 4,170 women will die from cervical cancer.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervic...tatistics.html

You may find this article about polio vaccine interesting. It's still OPV, but just two types instead of 3, and the plan is to switch to all IPV world-wide by 2020.
https://www.livemint.com/Politics/dF...e-Heres-w.html

Here are the polio stats for the past week: This Week – GPEI
So what's your point? Every adolescent girl in the country should get inoculated against HPV because of 4100 potential fatalities? No thanks....

Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
So what's your point? Every adolescent girl in the country should get inoculated against HPV because of 4100 potential fatalities? No thanks....
How about all the ones who do not die but have to go through colposcopies and biopsies and frequent Pap smears and maybe more biopsies and more Pap smears and maybe a hysterectomy before they have all the children they wanted? How about the ones who lose a pregnancy due to damage to the cervix from a biopsy?

What possible reason is there to not want to prevent all of that - or 90% of it, anyway - in the first place?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 PM

689 posts, read 973,551 times
Quote:

Yes. It was first described in the seventeenth century.

Eating healthy is not going to keep you from catching a vaccine preventable disease.

If you do not use any other animal vaccines, at least do the rabies. The consequences of not doing that could be tragic, even if you have not had an exposure before. Ask your vet to do titers if you wish. Without the other vaccines your pet could just get sick.

By the way, your vet has probably had the rabies vaccine himself.
Really Suzy??

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/healt...ise/index.html

"The CNN/Harvard analysis looked at 2014 and 2015, during which time more than 811,000 doctors wrote prescriptions to Medicare patients. Of those, nearly half wrote at least one prescription for opioids.
Fifty-four percent of those doctors -- more than 200,000 physicians -- received a payment from pharmaceutical companies that make opioids."

"For example, researchers at the University of North Carolina examined the two government databases analyzed by CNN and Harvard and found that when doctors received payments from manufacturers of certain cancer drugs, they were more likely to prescribe those drugs to their patients.
"This study suggests that conflicts of interest with the pharmaceutical industry may influence oncologists in high-stakes treatment decisions for patients with cancer," the authors concluded."

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...industry-money

"The research, which confirms earlier findings, suggests that if doctors take money from pharmaceutical companies, even just for a free lunch, they’re more likely to prescribe more expensive brand-name drugs."

What Drugs Are Doctors Paid The Most To Promote - Business Insider

"In order to make a profit in such a crowded market, producers of new drugs — who have often spent a fortune on research and development — must make them appealing to the doctors who prescribe them. A study published by Ornstein and Jones in March found that doctors often accept thousands of dollars in speaking and consulting payments from drug companies that also sponsor their research."

Last edited by LaylaM; 07-14-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
You think 4100 deaths annually, mind you, not just one time, are nothing? Do you know how many deaths that is during the time a woman is at risk? Cervical cancer is most frequently diagnosed after age 35. Carrying it out from 35 to 65, that's 123,000 deaths/lifetime. And the risk continues even past age 65, with 15% of cases being diagnosed post age 65.

It'd be funny if it weren't so sad that anti-vaxers get so worked up about the possibility of a rare adverse reaction from the vaccine, but don't care about such a large number of deaths from disease. No deaths are known to be attributed to the vaccine, BTW.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/va...-faqs.html#A13
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervic...tatistics.html

Yes, every adolescent girl and boy should get vaccinated against HPV.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
How about all the ones who do not die but have to go through colposcopies and biopsies and frequent Pap smears and maybe more biopsies and more Pap smears and maybe a hysterectomy before they have all the children they wanted? How about the ones who lose a pregnancy due to damage to the cervix from a biopsy?

What possible reason is there to not want to prevent all of that - or 90% of it, anyway - in the first place?
Answer: muliple partners, yes
Otherwise, with so LITTLE long term data on effects, we could end up with DES daughters or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies