Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Anecdotally, myself, I didn't have the vaccine but had shingles, in my early 20's - it was after a round of steroids. Years later, a friend of mine's 23 year old son had them but I don't know if he'd been vaccinated against chickenpox. He had been on prednisone, also. Thought it'd be worth sharing and mentioning (because it may not be the vaccine causing shingles after all).
I have been on Predisone several times for gout. No shingles YET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Anecdotally, myself, I didn't have the vaccine but had shingles, in my early 20's - it was after a round of steroids. Years later, a friend of mine's 23 year old son had them but I don't know if he'd been vaccinated against chickenpox. He had been on prednisone, also. Thought it'd be worth sharing and mentioning (because it may not be the vaccine causing shingles after all).
Having had varicella (chicken pox) either the illness or the vaccine is what makes one prone to getting shingles later in life. The virus (varicella) goes dormant after the initial infection or vaccination and then re-appears later in some people in the form of shingles. Stress, lack of sleep, pretty much anything that weakens the immune system can bring it out. Steroids are know to weaken the immune system, at least while you’re on them so it makes sense that this could have caused the virus to re-activate in the form of shingles.

Getting a shingles vaccine is akin to being re-exposed to chicken pox, something that happened all of the time in the pre chicken pox vaccine era. Hence the speculation why suppressing chicken pox via the vaccine has led to an increase in shingles cases.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am just saying that at age 70, I never had known a person who had shingles until the last few years. There seems to be more cases of it than before.
I did read a study a couple weeks ago and no I don't have the link, it stated that the number of shingles cases had skyrocketed since the chickenpox vaccine went into common use. They did not have enough research yet to tie them together.
They do not like our irrelevant internet stories from our "superhuman" families if it does not promote vaccination; especially if we are Seniors. No Senior can be against it, right?

My Great-Grandma (born 1876) lived with me as a child until she died at 94. I never saw a rash on her, neither did I see it on Grandparents (born 1886 and 1900), or my parents born in 1919 and 1920. Never saw it on any of Aunts and Uncles either, from both paternal and material sides. Both sides of my family all had those superhuman genes???

First time I saw shingles was about 5 years ago on my husband (NOT my blood relative), and he HAD that Shingles vaccination.

Second time, about 3 years ago was my 32 year old SIL (NOT my blood relative). I was the one who initially told him he had Shingles from seeing it my husband. Too young to be vaccinated for shingles. Sorry, Suzy.

Third time I saw shingles was about 2 years ago when my daughter's 34 year old friend had it. Too young to be vaccinated, Suzy.

Fourth time I saw it was last year when my 38 year old daughter had it. Again, too young to be vaccinated for Shingles. Sorry, Suzy, guess my own not elderly daughter didn't inherit my superhuman family genes?

I have seen more shingles in the past 5 years (majority YOUNG Adults), than I ever did in the past 60+ years, including my "superhuman" over 85 year old relatives from BOTH material and paternal sides. Wow, what luck that they bred together!!!!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
I wonder if anyone has done any research on shingles occurrence in young people and chronic sleep deprivation, which affects immune response. Could there be third variable that we're all missing?

Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They do not like our irrelevant internet stories from our "superhuman" families if it does not promote vaccination; especially if we are Seniors. No Senior can be against it, right?

My Great-Grandma (born 1876) lived with me as a child until she died at 94. I never saw a rash on her, neither did I see it on Grandparents (born 1886 and 1900), or my parents born in 1919 and 1920. Never saw it on any of Aunts and Uncles either, from both paternal and material sides. Both sides of my family all had those superhuman genes???

First time I saw shingles was about 5 years ago on my husband (NOT my blood relative), and he HAD that Shingles vaccination.

Second time, about 3 years ago was my 32 year old SIL (NOT my blood relative). I was the one who initially told him he had Shingles from seeing it my husband. Too young to be vaccinated for shingles. Sorry, Suzy.

Third time I saw shingles was about 4 years ago when my daughter's friend had it. Too young to be vaccinated, Suzy.

Fourth time I saw it was last year when my 38 year old daughter had it. Again, too young to be vaccinated for Shingles. Sorry, Suzy, guess my own not elderly daughter didn't inherit my superhuman family genes?

I have seen more singles in the past 5 years, than I ever did in the past 60+ years, including my "superhuman" over 85 year old relatives from BOTH material and paternal sides. Wow, what luck!!!!!
Well despite being told I am wrong. My sister just had shingles, two weeks after her husband had the vaccine. Her doctor said she got it from him having the vaccine.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I wonder if anyone has done any research on shingles occurrence and sleep deprivation, which affects immune response.

I don’t know about any research but it really makes sense that it could activate the virus.

I can beyond a shadow a doubt that sleep deprivation plays a role in cold sore activation. Cold sores (herpes simplex) shingles (herpes zoster).

ETA: There has been some research on sleep disorders and shingles. Haven’t read it yet but will later on today. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4839876/

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know about any research but it really makes sense that it could activate the virus.

I can beyond a shadow a doubt that sleep deprivation plays a role in cold sore activation. Cold sores (herpes simplex) shingles (herpes zoster).

ETA: There has been some research on sleep disorders and shingles. Haven’t read it yet but will later on today. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4839876/
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I worry an awful lot about chronic sleep deprivation, which I think is a serious public health issue.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
I am just saying that at age 70, I never had known a person who had shingles until the last few years. There seems to be more cases of it than before.
I did read a study a couple weeks ago and no I don't have the link, it stated that the number of shingles cases had skyrocketed since the chickenpox vaccine went into common use. They did not have enough research yet to tie them together.
Well, so what? I'm a nurse, have worked in multiple settings (hospital, visiting nurse service, public health [slightly different than VN], doctor's office); in various areas (Labor and delivery/postpartum/newborn nursery, medical-surgical, pediatrics, maternal/child health), also raised two kids to adulthood, am the "parish nurse" at my church, have a number of family, friends and neighbors, and I don't know someone who had every single illness/condition.

I'm going to have to repeat this several times, this is #1:
The reason for the increase in shingles is unknown, it started before the chickenpox vaccine came out and it's happening in countries that don't use the vaccine.
https://www.webmd.com/children/vacci...s-study-says#1
https://vaxopedia.org/2017/04/23/is-...gles-epidemic/

Quote:
The epidemiologists will learn if any subsequent birth defects from the offspring would or could be attributed to the vaccine. I discussed eggs in utero earlier so it's within that context. My other information relative to pharma is from people in the trade. The reason for deliberately mis-spelling a product is if it's really not the product - for example if the definition or requirements according to FDA, are not met for something to be sold as cheese then it's mis-spelled as chez or cheese food, or ground beef is re-labeled as ground meat. This prevents lawsuits. (This isn't about onoatopoeias like extreme now mis-spelled as xtreme.)
There is no reason to think that "any subsequent birth defects" could be attributed to HPV vaccine. HPV disease itself doesn't cause birth defects; it causes people to have to have surgery on their CERVIX not their ovaries or any other reproductive organ; said surgery can make a woman more prone to premature delivery. https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.co...8.2012.03291.x

Quote:
. They learn a lot but nutrition and diet is not a major focus or even a significant focus. In fact it’s a very small portion of their education.

https://wire.ama-assn.org/education/...ing-med-school

Perhaps try taking a deep breath before responding with such defensive indignation.
The percent of lecture hours devoted to nutrition is irrelevant. Just who is it that recommends these 25 hours? The unsigned non-research based article says med students get an average of 19.7 hours. Everyone has their agenda. Docs also learn a lot in residency.

Perhaps get a license before attempting to practice psychology. If I feel I need psychiatric help, I will find someone qualified.

Quote:
Yes, shingles in on the rise. There is good reason to believe that the widespread use of the chicken pox vaccine is responsible for the the rise in shingles case considering people who have had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine no longer recieve the immune boost from being repeatedly re-exposed to the virus that would help keep it shingles check and dormant.

Keep in mind that you’ll be told that this theory has been thoroughly debunked but also keep in mind the amount of money involved in these vaccines that could prevent the proper funding and publishing of unbiased studies into this matter.
There is no reason to believe the "widespread use of the chicken pox vaccine is responsible for the the rise in shingles case considering" as shingles was already increasing before the vaccine program started, "And as immunization coverage in children reached 90 percent, shingles continued at the same rate. . . They also found that the rate of shingles didn't vary from state to state where there were different rates of chickenpox vaccine coverage."
op cit.

Also, shingles cases started to rise before the chickenpox vaccine was introduced in the US, and have also increased in countries that don't use chickenpox vaccine.

Quote:
No one knows what causes the chickenpox virus that stays in the body after chickenpox disease reactivates. Stress is often cited, though many people who are stressed don't get it as well, also diminished immunity, which could be caused by the steroids. However, I need to stress no one knows for sure. We do know that vaccinating kids against chickenpox has not increased shingles incidence.
https://www.webmd.com/children/vacci...s-study-says#1

Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
I know we are getting off topic here. Sorry to the Mods. Last year I cut myself badly with a kitchen knife which was sterilized in my dishwasher. One poster on here was blasting me for not getting a Tetanus shot. I get it. No "hiding in the herd" for Tetanus. Not contagious. Tetanus vaccination is not giving all alone. Diphtheria is given in addition, and recently for adults, Pertussis as well. I totally understand your motives, nameless vaccination pushing medical professional poster. I was not born yesterday.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Well despite being told I am wrong. My sister just had shingles, two weeks after her husband had the vaccine. Her doctor said she got it from him having the vaccine.
If anything, being exposed to someone who was "shedding" the chickenpox virus should have boosted your sister's immunity and prevented shingles, if the anti-vaxers are to be believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies