Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Good for you for helping out.

Nothing wrong with supporting the teachers. Where is the money going to come from and how has all that spending worked results wise? You can't keep throwing money at it. Not that you're saying otherwise.

Teachers want more pay and parents can't afford to feed their kids. Within the last year, for the first time ever, a majority of school aged children are on free or assisted meals at school.

Again. Good for you for helping out.
Well I guess each state needs to figure that out, maybe raise your taxes to help fund public education. Teachers are not just walking out for themselves, they are walking out for students as well. Why do we allow kids to go to school with broken desks, overcrowding and books so old they have to be taped together. Why do teachers have to pay out of their own pocket for supplies for their classroom. And you wonder why teachers have second jobs.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:

But you support her policies. That's the point since it's always about policy. And she's almost lock step with Obama policies. Are you going to deny supporting him too? Bailouts, keeping us involved in the Middle East, mandated healthcare. Unless you're going to say you're now against that and agree with the conservatives. Which is strange since you said you can't stand conservatives.
I don't know what would be strange about it. I support policies based upon whether they make sense to me, not whether I like other people who support them. But you're saying that you only agree with people you get along with? That's just.... mmm... bizarre, dude.

Quote:

Keep trying and deflecting.

You done bad mouthing Kentuckians?
Not even close. But what do you care?

Old 04-15-2018, 09:50 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
While what he said was likely true, he was wrong to assign blame to striking teachers. As I've made clear many times in this forum, you and you alone are to blame for you actions. Rapists and child abusers--and not striking teachers--are to blame for their despicable actions!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I don't know what would be strange about it. I support policies based upon whether they make sense to me, not whether I like other people who support them. But you're saying that you only agree with people you get along with? That's just.... mmm... bizarre, dude.
No that's what you're saying. What I'm saying is the last 2 dems are clones and you supported their policies even if you found hillary unethical. Supported = backed. Doesn't equal voted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Not even close. But what do you care?
It's about showing your hypocrisy which you denied.
But why do you even care?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well I guess each state needs to figure that out, maybe raise your taxes to help fund public education. Teachers are not just walking out for themselves, they are walking out for students as well. Why do we allow kids to go to school with broken desks, overcrowding and books so old they have to be taped together. Why do teachers have to pay out of their own pocket for supplies for their classroom. And you wonder why teachers have second jobs.
Better to give the taxes to the states where one has a say vs the feds where you really don't. Make it more local but at least get rid of the Dept of Education and all their funding. I'm amazed the number of people who more confidance in Washington than they do in their own state. Not that you're saying that.
Plenty of choices across America to raise kids. One size doesn't fit all.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We went through this same thing in WV. It actually encouraged others do the same. Many here noted that the strike was an inconvenience but that they supported the teachers and would get by.

I organized a lunch for local kids that might not get one otherwise and initially paid for it. The local church that volunteered their community room picked up a lot of it after a couple days.
That was really nice of you.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Better to give the taxes to the states where one has a say vs the feds where you really don't. Make it more local but at least get rid of the Dept of Education and all their funding. I'm amazed the number of people who more confidance in Washington than they do in their own state. Not that you're saying that.
Plenty of choices across America to raise kids. One size doesn't fit all.
But states do have a say how much money they fund for education. It's not the department of education that does that. Why do you think red states are protesting when blue states don't.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But states do have a say how much money they fund for education. It's not the department of education that does that. Why do you think red states are protesting when blue states don't.
They have no say so as far as funding the Dept of Education. THAT tax money should go directly to their state. And more importantly they have less say so over the programs and courses their schools offer than they should because of Federal regulations.

Funny that you try and make it about states and not policy. It's about who controls the purse strings in that state AND one needs to look at the results and the reasons why.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
They have no say so as far as funding the Dept of Education. THAT tax money should go directly to their state. And more importantly they have less say so over the programs and courses their schools offer than they should because of Federal regulations.
I am not talking about funding the department of education. I am talking about states funding their schools. Oklahoma has a budget crisis so the kids now go to school 4 days a week instead of 5.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Anyone who has ten kids in this day in age engages in thuggish behavior, consuming far more resources than necessary.
Well, in the interests of fairness, four of the Bevin kids were adopted, and the Bevins are wealthy enough to provide excellent material care for their family. How much individual mom and/or dad time each child gets is unknown, however.

Six bio. kids is an anomaly in this day and age, however, but I do know other large families who are financially comfortable and whose children have turned out very well. I hope this will be the case for the Bevin children, who bear no blame for their parents' statements and behavior (Glenna Bevin behaves impeccably as far as I know, and also keeps a low profile, much more so than her predecessors as Kentucky's First Lady).

I do question whether anyone is able to provide adequate personal parenting to that many children while also governing a state adequately. I assume Glenna Bevin does the bulk of the homeschooling of her large family, and perhaps nannies or other childcare providers or homeschool teachers are employed by the Bevins.

The Bevin children are very rarely publicly seen - I applaud their parents for keeping them out of the limelight, but perhaps allowing an occasional glimpse of the children would help reassure the public about their well-being.

Especially right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies