Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should government slow expanding businesses?
Yes 3 6.38%
No 44 93.62%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ve been to more than a few. Only for a quick stop because they tend to have some really lowlife customers. Plus their prices aren’t nearly as good as advertised.

Yes, like me!

I'm in Dollar Tree every few months for cleaning supplies. I get my batteries there - both super heavy and regular.

There are a lot of things I wouldn't buy from that store because even though everything is only $1, you're often getting less and it ends up more expensive. But for other items, it can't be beat.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've no idea what people see in Dollar General. Very little is actually a dollar. Dollar Tree is a better option, and everything is a dollar.

I can't imagine these type stores could be a threat to major grocers. How could anyone manage a grocery list, out of dollar stores.
The Dollar General Market stores carry more groceries than the regular DG stores. Some DG stores have moved into the former Walmart Express buildings, which allows them to add a bit more groceries than the smaller stores, but not as much as their Market stores. Hell, the DG in Pikeville, NC sells gas. The gas pumps were leftover from Walmart. There may be others out there.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dollar Tree isn’t bad. We’ve got one...my son likes the prices of their canned goods.
I like Dollar Tree but I only go to one elsewhere when I’m out of town. The store in my area is such a pain in the ass to get in & out of, thanks to the lousy parking lot and the woefully disorganized store inside. You can’t hardly walk in there.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Dollar General sells groceries ? Who knew ? I buy my cleaning supplies there, they are some of the best going for getting grease and grime out, much better than the national brands.

I also haven't seen a local grocery store in decades.
Not all of them do. None of the ones near me have a lot of groceries, but the brand new one near my MIL in rural VA carries a lot of groceries, including fresh produce.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, like me!

I'm in Dollar Tree every few months for cleaning supplies. I get my batteries there - both super heavy and regular.

There are a lot of things I wouldn't buy from that store because even though everything is only $1, you're often getting less and it ends up more expensive. But for other items, it can't be beat.
Likewise- batteries and cleaning supplies are my Dollar Tree go-to items.

I also get craft supplies and activity books, stickers etc for my kids there.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
The only reason to shop dollar store is the size. Quick in/out

Old 04-15-2018, 09:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting , in L.A I don’t see them around but this clip said they focus on rural areas .

We do have local independent grocery stores in L.A but they are pretty much all ethnic type markets that are serving a different niche .

Hispanic markets , Asian markets , middle eastern etc

It looks like Dollar General is similar to a Big Lots .

We have big lots in L.A and also a lot of 99 cents only stores and Dollar Trees especially in lower income areas . You can find some good deals there . 99 cents only store has quite a bit of food available . One example last time I was there they had cream cheese for 25 cents .
In a regular market it would be around $3 probably .

The lady in the clip said that the people in the town want a full service grocery store but companies that run those stores must not think there is enough demand .
If you go to more rural areas - you will see a lot more Dollar Generals. I have been in there looking for cheap stuff for the office and the older ones are SO depressing.

I would not let a Dollar General substitute for my grocery store though. The ones I've been in never had a huge supply of groceries.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And the horse drawn wagon put the man pulled wagons out of business.

The gas powered auto put the wagon maker out of business.

The train put the stage coats out of business.

The computer put the typewriter out of business.

Sear's, Montgomery Wards etc., was the start of putting Mom & Pops "s out of business.

Ordering over Internet is putting MANY box store out pf business.

The "smart phone is putting landline telephones out of business.

When was the last time you went a "gas station" to get your car fixed?

Things change all the time. That's life!
The only difference is, today these things can be controlled and regulated though, and sometimes prevented altogether.

Think about this...if they had the Invention Secrecy Act in the days of horse and buggy, what are the chances the motorized vehicle would have been suppressed? They would have spun it as too dangerous, using dangerous and deadly fuel to power it, greater threat to pedestrians, what about all the horses, etc etc?

When was the last time you heard about something thats going to replace the motor vehicle, trains, computers, cell phones, etc...My point exactly!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Dollar stores don't sell the products people need (fresh meats and produce) and the next time you are in one check the dates on the items,there is a reason they are only a dollar.
Dollar General isn't a typical dollar store where each item is $1 or less.

Dollar General's standard store has a small amount of groceries but not fresh meat or produce, as you state. However, Dollar General has added a new version of their store that has fresh meat and produce. There are called "Dollar General Market" and they logo and colors are different than the standard Dollar General.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dollar-...rocery-stores/

Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Dollar General isn't a typical dollar store where each item is $1 or less.

Dollar General's standard store has a small amount of groceries but not fresh meat or produce, as you state. However, Dollar General has added a new version of their store that has fresh meat and produce. There are called "Dollar General Market" and they logo and colors are different than the standard Dollar General.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dollar-...rocery-stores/
My opinion, Dollar General has found a way to compete with Walmart by making their stores easier to get to than a Walmart. Why drive 15 miles to get to a Walmart for a gal. of milk when you can get to a Dollar General in one mile. It seems to be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies