Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

Or so they say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/05/d...mployment.html

(usual warning about article limit and paywall. Bring up a private session browser window works most of the time)

Am I the only one not buying it. Yes, I realize that there are a few areas this may be true but IMHO it is a ploy to keep wages down by increasing labor supply.

I live in high cost NJ and stores and restaurants go without workers and short staff rather than pay more than about $9.50 to $10.00 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Why don’t they work with prisons when people get out and need work? No one ever wants to hire them, and the recidivism rate just increases. We have people who need work that aren’t getting help. We have our own low skilled people right here already, and they need help!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
We've had nominal wage rigidity since 2008, wages are really slow to adjust to changes in the labor market. The good news for job seekers is that salaries will eventually have to increase.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
The same message was delivered by the Washington Post editorial board a few days ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rumps-war.html

Somebody must figure this is the best strategy to sell Americans on continued mass immigration of the poor and unskilled.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
“Our industry is very much in need of a temporary visa program for the low-skilled, essential workers,” said Shannon Meade, the National Restaurant Association’s director of labor and work force policy.
Yeah, a lobbyist for restaurant owners would say that, wouldn't they?

Quote:
Many diners complain about restaurants where the food is expensive but the service is lacking. Water glasses are left unfilled. Guests stand waiting for attention at a host stand, and servers with little knowledge of the menu merely smile sheepishly as sophisticated customers ask questions.
Ah, yes, "many" people. Such a strong argument.

And many diners don't complain. Many water glasses DO get filled. Many guests don't wait. However the successful ones probably are probably too busy serving customers to go complaining in the New York Times about work visas.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Follow the money. Who benefits?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Seems circular to me.

Demand for low skill workers in restaurants is high, yet there is reluctance to pay more to retain workers. Tough to make a $ and all that. Instead, restaurant trade associations advocate for the increased ability to legally import unskilled labor and pay them less than market rate.

This certainly is not limited to restaurant workers. There are bills in Congress seeking to create special visas for meat/ poultry packers and pay them less than Minimum Wage.

Where are these workers supposed to live?

The NYT links talks about the explosion of new restaurants in DC. It is obvious to the casual observer that lobbyists pick up the tab in fine dining locations.

When workers are imported they can bring their spouse and children. Those children attend US schools. ESL becomes critical. Then there’s healthcare.

Seems many folk want the benefits of cheap labor then turn around and blame big bad government for the consequences.

No rational reason for government to issue visas to unskilled workers so that restaurants are more profitable.
Let the employment market sort it out and if some restaurants fold- so be it.

This is a variation of seasonal worker visas. Instead of paying what the market demands, apply for and get h2b visa workers who can legally work in the US for 3 years on the same visa.

Federal lawmakers bend over backwards to avoid allowing the markets to sort themselves out and instead do the bidding for lobbyists. Recall the June, 2017 shooting of Scalise during a Congressional Baseball Game for Charity practice. These teams consist of Congress critters and lobbyists. Does not get any cozier than this and it’s as bipartisan as it gets.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-12-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Or so they say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/05/d...mployment.html

(usual warning about article limit and paywall. Bring up a private session browser window works most of the time)

Am I the only one not buying it. Yes, I realize that there are a few areas this may be true but IMHO it is a ploy to keep wages down by increasing labor supply.

I live in high cost NJ and stores and restaurants go without workers and short staff rather than pay more than about $9.50 to $10.00 an hour.
Yeah, and we all know what a luxurious lifestyle $10.00 an hour will get you in NJ. Should I buy a house in Alpine or Deal? Tough decision!

Cheap Chit places deserve the workers and service level they so "richly remunerate" at!

Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No rational reason for government to issue visas to unskilled workers so that restaurants are more profitable.
Let the employment market sort it out and if some restaurants fold- so be it.
this is the issue in a nutshell.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
In my city, I see signs on retail and fast food storefronts all the time offering $12 an hour. these businesses can't find enough low skilled workers at $12 an hour.

there was even a short form employment application taped to the top of the pizza box I picked up last weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies