Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM

104 posts, read 147,412 times

Advertisements

BUT think about all those movies--Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Great Gadsby, Crockadile Dundee-- in which the main romantic duo were to rendezvous in the lobby of the Plaza hotel and other hotels. They weren't staying there. They might have been arrested for trespass and then we never would have had these great old movies.
I've been using Starbucks to meet up with friends and students from Seattle to Miami and never been asked to buy a coffee or been arrested for not buying coffee. Of course maybe I looked like a person who was in their judgement more in keeping with their profile standards--Caucasian? Just a thought.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,677,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Would you let yourself be arrested for refusing to give up your bus seat to someone else?

People take stands. That is what my story is about. What I did was silly. I was tired, and this woman made me angry, and I decided someone should stand up to her. I think these men felt like they'd done nothing wrong, and they decided to take a stand. Rosa Parks decided to take a stand. And she changed the world.
I would not let myself be arrested for something that I could have avoided arrest for.

Are these 2 men taking stands or were they just mad that the manager told them they had to buy something to use the bathroom or leave and they got mad and decided to sit down at a table?

If they are taking a stand against racism and prejudice they should come forward and say so and they should not hire lawyers to try to get them a payoff for what they did. they don't need lawyers since charges were dropped. If they want to sue for damages and donate the entire amount including their lawyers waiving their fees and give it to the United Negro College Fund or the Black History museum then that would be great.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
BUT think about all those movies--Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Great Gadsby, Crockadile Dundee-- in which the main romantic duo were to rendezvous in the lobby of the Plaza hotel and other hotels. They weren't staying there. They might have been arrested for trespass and then we never would have had these great old movies.
I've been using Starbucks to meet up with friends and students from Seattle to Miami and never been asked to buy a coffee or been arrested for not buying coffee. Of course maybe I looked like a person who was in their judgement more in keeping with their profile standards--Caucasian? Just a thought.
and if you were told to buy a coffee or leave what would you do?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would not let myself be arrested for something that I could have avoided arrest for.

Are these 2 men taking stands or were they just mad that the manager told them they had to buy something to use the bathroom or leave and they got mad and decided to sit down at a table?

If they are taking a stand against racism and prejudice they should come forward and say so and they should not hire lawyers to try to get them a payoff for what they did.
Rosa Parks could have avoided arrest. All she had to do was give up her seat to a white man.

The two men tried to avoid being arrested when they explained to the police that they were simply waiting for a third party to show up, and even offered to call that person and let the police talk to him. I don't know why the police didn't let it go, especially when the third party did show up and remonstrated with them. But I can understand why the men acted the way they did. I understand feeling like enough is enough. I understand feeling like I deserve to be treated like everyone else, and wanting to stand up for myself. Don't you ever feel that way?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM

If these 2 men had asked to use the bathroom and were told they had to buy something and didn't want to they should have asked the manager if it was okay to stay and wait for their business associates to come and he would buy them their coffee with his company credit card and if that was okay.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If these 2 men had asked to use the bathroom and were told they had to buy something and didn't want to they should have asked the manager if it was okay to stay and wait for their business associates to come and he would buy them their coffee with his company credit card and if that was okay.
They didn't think it was necessary for them to be so submissive in an establishment that actively encourages people to hang out.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Rosa Parks could have avoided arrest. All she had to do was give up her seat to a white man.

The two men tried to avoid being arrested when they explained to the police that they were simply waiting for a third party to show up, and even offered to call that person and let the police talk to him. I don't know why the police didn't let it go, especially when the third party did show up and remonstrated with them. But I can understand why the men acted the way they did. I understand feeling like enough is enough. I understand feeling like I deserve to be treated like everyone else, and wanting to stand up for myself. Don't you ever feel that way?
That was a different time. This is not a Rosa Parks moment.

Where are you getting all this info from that they tried to explain they were waiting?

People are treated differently all the time, ugly people, fat people, dumb people, poor people etc.

You deserve to be treated like everyone else but life is not fair.

I do stand up for myself. I respect the police, I have never been arrested and neither has anyone in my family. My parents were not born in this country and they do not speak English well. I'm sure they have been discriminated against. I know my father once had a problem in a bank because someone didn't think he should have money in his account so they gave him a hard time. I wish I were treated like a billionaire or a celebrity but I'm not. If I were at the Starbucks and saw the cops arrest 2 men for apparently doing nothing I would be outraged and speak up too like some of the white people did. Then when I heard the whole story I would have felt like I do now. They should have bought a coffee or left and certainly have left when the cops told them leave or get arrested.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
They didn't think it was necessary for them to be so submissive in an establishment that actively encourages people to hang out.
Yes, instead of being aggressive about it. There are rules to society. You can choose to be a victim or not.

When they go low, you go high.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:50 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,495,795 times
Quote:
they didnt buy the products for hanging out either....

they could have gotten a $5 cookie or something

dont hangout at busniesses if you arent going to give them business

tell them to hang out at the soup kitchen if they arent up for paying for food

Old 04-18-2018, 12:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,268,606 times
Quote:
Would you let yourself be arrested for refusing to give up your bus seat to someone else?
Most fair minded individuals would not let it get to the point of arrest, for what?, allover a bus seat. In a communal spirit, think of the other riders on the bus & how it is disrupting their schedule.

Quote:
Rosa Parks decided to take a stand. And she changed the world.
Good for Rosa Parks. Though it must be said, the times were a whole lot different then. Nowadays, people of all colors are free to ride alongside each other on any form of public transport. Call it mutual understanding among the masses. What is also a given for any respectable and respectful person, is in the recent situation at the Starbucks store, most people would have the common sense to understand the mgr is doing their job & just have enough of humility to just buy a small coffee or something. Anyone taking a different approach is just begging for trouble. Also, Starbucks is hardly a hotbed of right wing thinking : most of the baristas there firmly slot into the hipster and pc category to begin with. So, for the mgr. to go so far as to call the police, then obviously the two black guys were not cooperative and maybe even a tad dismissive in this case.

Then again, the black guys got the last laugh now that 8,000 stores will be closed for racial bias training. The CEO of Starbucks even paid them a personal visit. The black guys immediately setup a gofundme page and are raking in the dollars as we speak.

All in all a good days work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies