Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Calm down. They were asked to leave by management and by the police. They didn't leave. They didn't buy anything, which you have to do, to hang around a Starbucks or to use their restrooms.
No you don't. Starbucks' has said it. Everyone who has ever been at a Starbucks has said it. Anyone who understands the business model for chain coffee shops has said it. Everyone who has any insight into what Starbucks rules are has confirmed what you think is not the reality.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Calm down. They were asked to leave by management and by the police. They didn't leave. They didn't buy anything, which you have to do, to hang around a Starbucks or to use their restrooms.
The police officers, and police commissioner indicated they were responding to a "disturbance" which means potential disorderly conduct. They also indicated the two men were trespassing, as they refused to leave when Starbucks, AND the police officers asked them to do so. When an establishment asks you to leave, then the POLICE tell you to leave, YOU LEAVE.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I would ask the same thing. I have seen numerous replies where apparently a ton of white people were also loitering and not buying/consuming any products. Do we have proof of this?
Yes.

We have proof this is SOP for Starbucks nationwide.

We have video proof.

We have witnesses who were there who said as much.

What else do you people need?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Because blacks are normally not seen in that Starbucks since its located in a rich white area. And the way they were dressed didnt really help the situation.
What was wrong with their skin color or clothes?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The police officers, and police commissioner indicated they were responding to a "disturbance" which means potential disorderly conduct. They also indicated the two men were trespassing, as they refused to leave when Starbucks, AND the police officers asked them to do so. When an establishment asks you to leave, then the POLICE tell you to leave, YOU LEAVE.
Don't run from the truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Fine. Let's say that they were the only people doing that. Does an statement from a Starbucks' official saying that their business model is to allow people to sit in their shops without buying anything change your mind?
If everyone who was there says that they weren't doing anything but sitting and waiting. AND Starbucks Corporate says that sitting and waiting is acceptable, per company policy. They what other reason was there for them being singled out and asked to leave?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have waited in Starbucks and other coffee shops for friends to arrive a million times. No issues

I really don’t get why the cops were called.
Yeah.... something is really weird about this story.

It seems they were asked to leave after one of them used the bathroom or something... and they refused to leave, so the cops were called.

If I'm somewhere and the manager asks me to leave, I'm gonna leave.

Now, will I be angry about it? Of course. Is it possible that the manager was profiling these men because they're black? Absolutely.

But, the arrest was due to them refusing to leave when asked to leave.

I don't think they should have been arrested, but it is possible that this was the option the police were supposed to exercise when called because people refuse to leave an establishment in Philly.

I have no idea about that one.

Either way, Starbucks will now have to fix this situation, because it is terrible for their image.

I suspect the employee or the manager... or both, will be fired or reassigned.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah.... something is really weird about this story.

It seems they were asked to leave after one of them used the bathroom or something... and they refused to leave, so the cops were called.

If I'm somewhere and the manager asks me to leave, I'm gonna leave.

Now, will I be angry about it? Of course. Is it possible that the manager was profiling these men because they're black? Absolutely.

But, the arrest was due to them refusing to leave when asked to leave.

I don't think they should have been arrested, but it is possible that this was the option the police were supposed to exercise when called because people refuse to leave an establishment in Philly.

I have no idea about that one.

Either way, Starbucks will now have to fix this one, because it is terrible for their image.
I wouldn't leave without an explanation of why I am being asked to leave.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Because blacks are normally not seen in that Starbucks since its located in a rich white area. And the way they were dressed didnt really help the situation.
I live in a wealthy suburb that is predominantly white and I see black people in Starbucks all the time.

Never seen any arrested in a Starbucks, though it may have happened at some point for some reason.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes.

We have proof this is SOP for Starbucks nationwide.

We have video proof.

We have witnesses who were there who said as much.

What else do you people need?
Show me the links, please.

And btw - I LOVE that one icon of liberal virtue signaling is caught up in this imbroglio, and could end up going from liberal icon to hated symbol of bourgeois white privilege, etc. I am just asking for proof tat the black police chief and his corporate bourgeois white masters really are trying to make "being black at Starbucks" illegal.

So again, links to where all the white loiterers were left alone and how it's standard operating procedure for Starbucks as a corporation. Please. I'd love to meme the buhjeezus out of Starbucks being some de facto white supremacy outlet versus the benevolent liberal do-gooders they market themselves as.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I wouldn't leave without an explanation of why I am being asked to leave.
I would if someone called the police.

I have no desire to be arrested or to have an arrest record of any kind.

I'm not blaming these men for anything. Just saying I would've left.

If they felt they needed to go through this process because they were treated unfairly, that was their prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies