Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I'm an old naturally blonde white chick though....I guess I wasn't a threat.
Is this the reverse race card?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You would think a competent manager would vs sending a staffer over to deal with any problem real or perceived.
"Hi how are you doing? Can I get you anything?"
"Not yet we're waiting for someone."
Done deal one would think.

Granted I dont see why you wait to order. It's not a formal meal.
Friends wait for their friends to arrive at food establishments before ordering a bazillion Times a day in America...without being arrested.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes, being a manager means knowing how to de-escalate. You don't know how much those two people are going to spend on your business once their friend arrives, and you've created a stressful and unfriendly environment for everyone else there by bringing in police to arrest someone. The police are to enforce the law and protect public safety, not run your business for you.
Good post. The one thing I would note though is *what* the local neighborhood is like.

For example, the McDonalds in Roselle, IL by the METRA station has posted notices about not just hanging out there.

They've had problems in the past with old folks and others (keep in mind this is a nice suburb of Chicago) just coming in buying one coffee and refilling it over and over and using the wifi because they don't have it at their home\apt. etc.

I don't remember their exact rule but it was like 1 hour per purchase.

De-escalation is a reasonable course of action. But, in some parts of the country...it's special circumstance.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Of course, that would not have given them their "15 Minutes Of Fame".
Oh, right, that is unkind, they probably were not looking for "fame".
or were they?
I doubt they wanted any involvement with police.

Although it's true that a business can ask someone to leave for any reason (whether they do buy something or not), I see people at Starbucks all the time who aren't buying drinks or food. So I wonder why these men were singled out. I also don't blame the police here, as they were coming out because they were called. Starbuck's is at fault.

If it's true there are details omitted, I have to wonder why we're not hearing those details.

I know that nice restaurants in my area WILL kick someone out if they show up, sit at a table in a prime area of the restaurant, and don't order anything. That's because they lose money if they allow non-customers to take up space during peak business hours. I've actually seen people asked to leave when they were sitting in a fast food place but not eating. But Starbucks is just a coffee shop, not even a restaurant.

It is a fact that some people who work in these types of places can be power tripping jerks. I've seen it quite a few times.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
WTH are you talking about? Since when does Starbucks go around enforcing “property rights” on potential customers who wait inside for a friend? What body orifice did you pull that out of?

Again dude...Starbucks has been a meeting place for people since its inception. It’s a damn COFFEE SHOP for crying out loud. That’s what people do in coffee shops! Don’t you folks have coffee shops in Texas? Don’t young people meet up at coffee shops in Texas?

Or is it customary for you people to toss people out of an establishment just because they’re taking too long to order something! Because where I live, that’s not how we treat each other.
Bolded for the inability to seek the truth. It's about leaving when told by those in authority to leave. It's about property rights. Not that you care about the rights of the individual.

It's not about you or where you live. Why don't you go into a business and hang around after they tell you to leave. Report back to us if you would.

You can stop with the fake outrage anytime now.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Friends wait for their friends to arrive at food establishments before ordering a bazillion Times a day in America...without being arrested.
No one gets arrested for not ordering.

Now not leaving....that's another thing altogether.

Which brings us to the money shot. The Philly mayor isn't blaming the police.

But waiiiiiit for it.....
Spoiler
If the arrest was illegal and unwarranted then it's the polices fault.....sooooo.....it's Starbucks fault for these guys getting arrested? HOLY WTF batman.

But hey, at least this shows you how bullet-proof from politics most major metro police departments are. They can beat you. Shoot you and now they can even arrest you for refusing to leave a business....but if they do, it's still the fault of someone else.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Unless they are told to leave by someone in authority and don't. Respect the rights of the individual.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
This was not a Walmart, a 7-11, or a teenage hangout. This is a place where people sit for hours and hours. I’ve even people snoozing in Starbucks. And why were these two men subject to “ property rights” when No one else was. They were doing the same thing millions do every day. There is nothing in any aspects of the news stories or from eye witnesses... white ones, that they contributed to the actions taken. And why did the cops bother to handcuff and take them away?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Bolded for the inability to seek the truth. It's about leaving when told by those in authority to leave. It's about property rights. Not that you care about the rights of the individual.

It's not about you or where you live. Why don't you go into a business and hang around after they tell you to leave. Report back to us if you would.

You can stop with the fake outrage anytime now.
Quote:
Agreed. Unless they are told to leave by someone in authority and don't. Respect the rights of the individual.
Again... since when does Starbucks ask patrons to leave if they’re waiting for another friend to arrive before ordering? Answer: they don’t. Ever. It doesn’t happen.

I’ve never been asked to leave an establishment. Know why? Because businesses don’t normally ask patrons to leave in order to prove that they have “property rights.”

Again, you Lone Star staters are a weird lot.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Again... since when does Starbucks ask patrons to leave if they’re waiting for another friend to arrive before ordering? Answer: they don’t. Ever. It doesn’t happen.

I’ve never been asked to leave an establishment. Know why? Because businesses don’t normally ask patrons to leave in order to prove that they have “property rights.”

Again, you Lone Star staters are a weird lot.
lol Keep trying. It isn't about you or anyplace so horribly unlucky that they have you as a patron. It's about not leaving when asked by the property owner. Quit deflecting.

And it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies